05. Cannibal
06. Shoot Today - Kill Tomorrow
07. Invocating The Demons
08. Katjuscha
09. Into The Skies Of War
10. Tracing The Victim
11. Waterboarding [limited edition bonus]
12. Splitting The Atom [limited edition bonus]

If anything, Epitome of Torture is a passable album?it isn't great, isn't novel, won't be too memorable, but it's alright. These guys, like their fellow geriatric Germans in Destruction, have been able to tread water well over the years. Despite a few iffy albums here and there (per usual, in the 90s especially), when they see some life raft of some doomed-to-sink trend, they won't jump on, they just keep kicking among the sharks.

Sharks, dude. Life rafts. Metalphores.

That's not to say that everything they do is soulful?just because they seem to have a good measure of integrity doesn't yield poignancy automatically to their tunes. Epitome of Torture never explodes like their older albums. It sizzles occasionally, making the thrash version of that whistle and pop of a hotdog in a microwave instead of the napalm and poisonous blasts you got on, say, Agent Orange. Nothing against microwaved hotdogs or anything, but this album just doesn't capture the gusto and brazenness of heartfelt thrash.

Sodom seems to have expended as little energy as possible on this. I mean, I get that they're old as fuckable fuck and might not "feel it" as much as they used to, and that's totally understandable, but In War and Pieces came out just three years ago, and they shredded it up on that album. They're probably still capable of making music a lot better than this--this anodyne, going-through-the-motions collection of over-produced nostalgia.

But the album isn't terrible. It's fully listenable, but that isn't saying much when applied to the band that made Persecution Mania, Agent Orange, Sodom, Better Off Dead and M16.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 6

Written on 03.07.2013 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 318 users
03.07.2013 - 07:08
Lit.
Account deleted
"Metalphores."
Get to work, Funny Stuff.
03.07.2013 - 07:46
Susan
Smeghead
elite
"geriatric Germans," microwave hot dogs, and metalphores.

I lolled.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
03.07.2013 - 13:54
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
But their add campaigns said this album was their best since Agent Orange! How could they lie to us?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.07.2013 - 23:47
Rating: 6
musicalkaratekid
Agreed, disappointing album in comparison to what they are fully capable of doing.
04.07.2013 - 13:43
Joppe
Steelemeister
Gotta agree with this review, all the songs very forgettable.

But what does 6666 stand for? Extended number of the beast or just mediocrity of a rating
----
My vision is augmented
05.07.2013 - 00:20
Mattybu
I really really liked In War and Pieces and I trust my main man homie g wormdrink's reviews so this comes as a bit of a disappointment but then again expectations not too high to start.
05.07.2013 - 21:14
TrollandDie
Had some strong moments torwards the beginning of the album.

But by a third the way through, it was all ''Nein, nein, nein'' from there.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
06.07.2013 - 09:10
Lustful Maid
Written by Boxcar Willy on 03.07.2013 at 13:54

But their add campaigns said this album was their best since Agent Orange! How could they lie to us?

They were right ! Because Agent Orange is lousy and overrated. if they said this album was better than AO, they implied this is still a bad album. (in my opinion Sodom- Sodom is their best)
08.07.2013 - 10:44
Rating: 7
sbgmetal
This review doesn't really say anything about the music inside the album
08.07.2013 - 12:51
Lustful Maid
Written by musicalkaratekid on 03.07.2013 at 23:47

Agreed, disappointing album in comparison to what they are fully capable of doing.

-What are they capable of ? Seems like you always have high expectation on them.
-They have so many releases, only sodom and m-16 are good. To me they're an average band.
08.07.2013 - 14:03
Rating: 6
musicalkaratekid
Written by Lustful Maid on 08.07.2013 at 12:51

Written by musicalkaratekid on 03.07.2013 at 23:47

-What are they capable of ? Seems like you always have high expectation on them.
-They have so many releases, only sodom and m-16 are good. To me they're an average band.

Well yeah, I do! I mean, Sodom have released some of the best Thrash Metal albums of the 21st Century ('M-16' and their self-titled are monstrous to say the least), so I was expecting their latest to be more of the good stuff. I don't know, maybe they're finally getting tired.

Hits total: 6858 | This month: 11