04. Nightwalkers
05. Formidable
06. The Sonic Sign
07. Who Could Say
08. The Unknowing
09. Living In Me
10. White Palace
11. Subdivisions [Rush cover] [feat. Dan Swanö] [digital bonus]

Now before you all think, "Oh god, not another melodeath fan who thinks that every new melodeath record is the greatest one there ever was and will be... much like the city of Qarth" I ask that you all hear me out as I truly believe that this album is exceptional and enough time has passed that, if I once was, I am no longer caught up in the hype that typically follows the release of every melodeath album.

If you are a fan of Omnium Gatherum's short, catchy, fast songs with plenty of jumpy melodies such as "The Distance" or "Ego" off New World Shadows, there are plenty of those on this album, too: "Living In Me", "New Dynamic", and "The Sonic Sign". And if you are a fan of Omnium Gatherum's relatively prog-like lengthy songs that were featured for the first time on New World Shadows, they are even better on Beyond. However, if you no longer enjoy melodeath or you just never liked it in the first place, then this album won't have any effect on you, as this is as melodic as it gets.

Taking a leaf out of Insomnium's book and crafting an instrumental introduction surpassing even "The Gale", "Luoto" is an excellent opener and whenever I hear "White Palace's" outro of "Luoto's" lead, my mind is blown. There are many fantastic tracks on this album, though "Nightwalkers" does tend to drag on a bit without really resolving into anything.

Each and every instrument can be heard clearly, and it really is nice to be able to hear the bass guitar for once, something which I thought was practically inaudible in New World Shadows, as well as most melodeath, really. The bass adds substantial depth to this album and along with the much louder keyboards, they create a slight ambient atmosphere.

Now, there has often been some? controversy surrounding the vocalist's "Cookie-Monster" growls and many believe them to completely ruin the music. However, the brutality and incomprehensibility of his growls have grown on me and now I believe them to amplify the beauty of the music through stark contrast rather than bludgeon it to death. The guitarists continue to write incredibly beautiful and seemingly simple melodies, yet layered with relatively progressive elements of complex harmonies, one may realize that this music is not simple; it is the gorgeous ramblings of a melodic musical mastermind with a high dose of inspiration.

The only downfall is the lack of originality; honestly this album isn't so different from New World Shadows, as made obvious by the comparisons of the formulas of the songs off each album. Nevertheless, this is excellent music and for fans of previous Omnium Gatherum albums, Dark Tranquillity, Insomnium, Be'lakor, In Mourning and Enthrope, this album is a must-have.

Highlights: "Luoto" "New Dynamic" "Formidable" "The Unknowing" "White Palace"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written by IronArkadius666 | 03.07.2013

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Monolithic
Rating:
I've been listening to Omnium Gatherum for a while and I like their stuff. Surely there's enough energy in their music to keep you going and the band seem to know what they're doing with their music, but let's face it; they're missing something, besides originality of course.

Beyond follows the same formula as New World Shadows and it certainly seems compelling for the ears, but terrible for the brain. The inconsistency is far too great for the musicianship or the performance to maintain a proper balance. The album has some decent moments and the catchy melodies are brilliant and dynamic but in the end, they all sound bland and uninspiring. What you're left with is a bunch of good songs with little to offer and a couple of fillers by the time you reach the hour mark. Even the bonus track "Subdivisions" comes out as a song that's a little hard to digest, although it could've made Rush proud.

Read more ››
published 13.10.2013 | Comments (18)

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 211 users
03.07.2013 - 14:38
Rating: 10
IronArkadius666

This is my first review, so please, any constructive criticism is welcome. I would like to improve my reviewing abilities for any future reviews I may write.
03.07.2013 - 14:54
Windrider
Raureif
I basically agree with your points, the album is superb. But as you ask for constructice criticism, in my opinion it's too many (half of them would be enough) paragraphs just pointing to this and that fact of the album, it's rather an enumeration of (positive) properties of the album than a floating text review.
But no need to worry, many of my reviews were of the same or even worse, it just needs some time, so for instance: good job man
03.07.2013 - 20:34
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
I must say that I don't agree with this review. IMO, New World Shadows was much, much better than this. There are not "plenty" songs as on New World Shadows, only the three songs you mentioned, the album is rather very slow and gets boring sometimes. And saying that Luoto is surpassing The Gale... BLASPHEMY!
03.07.2013 - 20:50
Rating: 8
Reaper_Redeemer

They have better albums... Accept this!! Fanboysm to its peak.
03.07.2013 - 21:57
Rating: 8
CyberSymphony
Ollie
I kinda disagree with some points in this review. Beyond is a great album but I prefer NWS alot more as being more memorable and overall, with stronger songs. The atmosphere and the guitar melodies are just brilliant though. Not a bad review
03.07.2013 - 23:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Clearly a fanboy review on an album which is mediocre to medium good at best
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.07.2013 - 03:37
schizodelight

Actually I was thinking more "why are there so many repost reviews recently?"
----
Prepare for unforeseen consequences.
04.07.2013 - 10:50
IronArkadius666

Written by Windrider on 03.07.2013 at 14:54

I basically agree with your points, the album is superb. But as you ask for constructice criticism, in my opinion it's too many (half of them would be enough) paragraphs just pointing to this and that fact of the album, it's rather an enumeration of (positive) properties of the album than a floating text review.
But no need to worry, many of my reviews were of the same or even worse, it just needs some time, so for instance: good job man

Thanks man, I will take your advice and hopefully present better reviews in the future.

As for the rest, I know this is hard to believe, but I really am not fanboying over this album, this is one of my favourite albums of all time. I'm sure many of you have given similiar ratings to your favourite albums. If my review brings about the message of a fanboy, I am sorry, but please, constructive criticism, not blatant insults.
04.07.2013 - 11:40
Rating: 7
Dylan

By the numbers album for me, NWS was far better. It's cool that you enjoy the album this much, though.
04.07.2013 - 14:48
Vombatus
Potorro
I'd take out the first paragraph, it gives the impression you are a fanboy on defensive mode trying to justify yourself....

At least, that's the impression I had. Otherswise, alright review (the way it is written and all that...)
04.07.2013 - 17:44
Wes

Written by IronArkadius666 on 03.07.2013 at 14:38

This is my first review, so please, any constructive criticism is welcome. I would like to improve my reviewing abilities for any future reviews I may write.

Definitely agree with your rating : )
06.07.2013 - 11:20
Rating: 6
Monolithic
♠♠♠
9.3 ? I appreciate your support for Ominum Gatherum but clearly it's all down to your taste. Actually there's not much bias in your review, like how you point out the lack of originality. It's just that Melodic Death Metal is too boring to mention in Metalstorm so it's not a personal issue.
13.07.2013 - 11:15
IronArkadius666

Written by Vombatus on 04.07.2013 at 14:48

I'd take out the first paragraph, it gives the impression you are a fanboy on defensive mode trying to justify yourself....

At least, that's the impression I had. Otherswise, alright review (the way it is written and all that...)

Having reread my review a couple of times I can see what you mean, thanks for the heads up.
14.07.2013 - 12:13
RealEyes

Your rate for this album is not real at all.
14.07.2013 - 15:00
Until the End

Written by RealEyes on 14.07.2013 at 12:13

Your rate for this album is not real at all.

Yup, it's too low.
07.11.2013 - 10:36
Nick_3f

I love it! Thanks for the incredible review! The unknowing is the best for me!

Hits total: 6542 | This month: 15