Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater - New Album Cover And Tracklist Unveiled

The suspense is over, Dream Theater fans. The progressive metal group has finally revealed the images and words for their self-titled upcoming new album. The cover art and tracklist are now available below for you to enjoy and speculate about. And so it begins. Now all we have to do is wait for the new music to arrive. The official release date of the album is September 24th on Roadrunner.

The nine-track disc was recorded at Cove City Studio in Glen Cove, Long Island, with guitarist Petrucci producing and Richard Chycki engineering and mixing.

In January, Petrucci said of Mangini's work: "When people hear the drumming on this album, they're gonna be pretty freaked out. On the last album, he did a great job, but he wasn't there for the writing process and he was interpreting drum parts that I had programmed. Even though he used his creativity, of course, to change them up and do his thing, I feel like now he's just Mike Mangini unleashed. It's all him. It's all his creativity, all his decisions and ideas and man, the guy's an animal."

The tracklist for Dream Theater:

01. False Awakening Suite
i. Sleep Paralysis
ii. Night Terrors
iii. Lucid Dream
02. The Enemy Inside
03. The Looking Glass
04. Enigma Machine
05. The Bigger Picture
06. Behind The Veil
07. Surrender To Reason
08. Along For The Ride
09. Illumination Theory
i. Paradoxe de la Lumière Noire
ii. Live, Die, Kill
iii. The Embracing Circle
iv. The Pursuit Of Truth
v. Surrender, Trust & Passion

Source: dreamtheater.net
Band profile: Dream Theater
Posted: 09.07.2013 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 42   Visited by: 442 users
09.07.2013 - 19:18
?apleee
Mouthcrab
The cover is decent, but not spectacular. I have hope for this album, and especially interested in hearing the False Awakening Suite.
----
"Without judgement, perception would increase a million times."~Chuck Schuldiner

Less coherent than Anal Cunt.

Eric Brecht once liked my Facebook comment. Therefore, by the translative property, Chuck Schuldiner like my comment.
09.07.2013 - 19:49
Pokermask

The album cover reminds me of The Dark Side of the Moon.... meh.
09.07.2013 - 20:05
Doge of Venice

Written by Pokermask on 09.07.2013 at 19:49

Because of the... moon? I don't see the resemblance.
09.07.2013 - 20:10
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Whats the idea of the cover? that it has no idea?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

09.07.2013 - 20:22
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Quote:
09. Illumination Theory
i. Paradoxe de la Lumière Noire
ii. Live, Die, Kill
iii. The Embracing Circle
iv. The Pursuit Of Truth
v. Surrender, Trust & Passion

Sooooooo progressive I hope Mangini's input makes this album more interesting than their recent albums.
09.07.2013 - 20:25
J. N.
Account deleted
Sick flare, bros.
09.07.2013 - 20:53
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I kinda like it, I don't know. I'm definitely happy with the song titles at least.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
09.07.2013 - 20:53
Opethian

BRING IT!!!!!! .... Seriously , Bring it
09.07.2013 - 21:14
Lit.
Account deleted
Dull as shit.
09.07.2013 - 21:37
gopherhawk2@gmail.co

Lots of trax. Me gusta.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
09.07.2013 - 22:43
seafood

Cover looks like it was put together in five minutes with photoshop. Still high hopes for the music.
10.07.2013 - 00:05
Warman
Erotic Stains
Epic.
----
10.07.2013 - 03:06
Zap
Cover is about as boring as it gets, but still better than those cliche over the top ones.
10.07.2013 - 03:13
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
So, they chose Mike because he was one of the only drummers who played their music in the audition without any personal interpretation or new ideas, now they want to "unleash" him. If they wanted the creativity they should have gone with Donati.
10.07.2013 - 03:21
UnknownCheese

Written by Introspekrieg on 10.07.2013 at 03:13

So, they chose Mike because he was one of the only drummers who played their music in the audition without any personal interpretation or new ideas, now they want to "unleash" him. If they wanted the creativity they should have gone with Donati.

Creativity isn't one of Dream Theater's strong points.
10.07.2013 - 04:06
JunN_Vai

Illumination, hah .... !!!! oh no......:nogood:
10.07.2013 - 05:37
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Doge of Venice on 09.07.2013 at 20:05

Written by Pokermask on 09.07.2013 at 19:49

Because of the... moon? I don't see the resemblance.

Moon? i think it is the earth, it looks blue enough. Seems like they want to convey the whole world that DT is back on top and that this is their true self by putting the logo there.
10.07.2013 - 09:48
Italics

Written by UnknownCheese on 10.07.2013 at 03:21

Seriously?
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
10.07.2013 - 11:47
Night Theater

A bit of a pretentious claim here.
10.07.2013 - 12:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Night Theater on 10.07.2013 at 11:47

A bit of a pretentious claim here.

how is claiming that creativity isn't Dream Theater's strong point a pretentious claim? To be honest they haven't been creative for a long long long time. What they do they do well, but creative it hasn't been for ages.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.07.2013 - 13:01
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
The cover's pretty meh compared to the other ones, but the song titles look pretty decent. Im not the biggest DT fan, but I'll still check it out and see if I like it.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
10.07.2013 - 13:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
The sheer amount of thought and effort that went into that album cover is immense. Then again it's pretty indicative of the band's music too so it's rather apt all the same.
10.07.2013 - 15:43
undi

The cover represents the dawn of a new day.

At this rate some day we will have to let philosophers write long essays to understand DT album cover's metaphors.
10.07.2013 - 23:05
Daniell
_爱情_
Who gives a flying fuck about album covers? Most of you guys will download the album anyway...

I just hope this new album proves to be much better than that brain fart they released 2 years back.
10.07.2013 - 23:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Daniell on 10.07.2013 at 23:05

Who gives a flying fuck about album covers? Most of you guys will download the album anyway...

was thinking the exact same thing

Quote:

I just hope this new album proves to be much better than that brain fart they released 2 years back.

That one was indeed not good, to use an understatement. Could well be their weakest.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.07.2013 - 23:32
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.07.2013 at 23:26

That one was indeed not good, to use an understatement. Could well be their weakest.

Yes, it is the weakest. I was swamped with work today and had a ot of time for music, soI listened to it, among lots of other DT albums. It's so fucking bland and boring. I think I'd rate it even lower now than I did 2 years ago. But then, last time when DT lost a key member, they released a not so good "Falling Into Infinity", followed by the brilliant "Scenes from Memory". So here's hoping the terrible-great pattern will be repeated
10.07.2013 - 23:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

Because there is quite clearly a correlation between album art quality and music quality. Why do you think generic Darkclones, cheesy, lame power metal bands and generic, done-to-death melodeath (and other such awful areas of music) have shit artwork and quite often interesting, unique and creative bands have quality artwork? I can't be the only person to notice this pattern. When an artist or band takes pride in their music, instead of letting their label or ego lead them around by the dick, it usually means they put some thought into the artwork.
11.07.2013 - 00:15
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 10.07.2013 at 23:50

Because there is quite clearly a correlation between album art quality and music quality. Why do you think generic Darkclones, cheesy, lame power metal bands and generic, done-to-death melodeath (and other such awful areas of music) have shit artwork and quite often interesting, unique and creative bands have quality artwork? I can't be the only person to notice this pattern. When an artist or band takes pride in their music, instead of letting their label or ego lead them around by the dick, it usually means they put some thought into the artwork.

Yes, the point you're making is valid. Lots and lots of great albums have great covers. Off the top of my head - Opeth, Slayer, old Metallica, Old Drudkh, Ahab, Esoteric, Insdesinence, Angelic Process, Type O Negative, Hollenthon, and many many more. So the quality of a cover being indicative of the quality of music if quite often the case.

But then, Helloween's "Keepers" have abysmal covers, but the music is excellent. Iron Maiden's covers are cheesy, but the music kills. The same goes for Cradle of Filth, Symphony X, Dream Theater, 99% of death metal covers - shitty packaging may include brilliant songs. Etc., etc. It's kind of hard to generalize about the correlation between artworks and the music inside them.
11.07.2013 - 00:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 11.07.2013 at 00:15

Yes, the point you're making is valid. Lots and lots of great albums have great covers. Off the top of my head - Opeth, Slayer, old Metallica, Old Drudkh, Ahab, Esoteric, Insdesinence, Angelic Process, Type O Negative, Hollenthon, and many many more. So the quality of a cover being indicative of the quality of music if quite often the case.

But then, Helloween's "Keepers" have abysmal covers, but the music is excellent. Iron Maiden's covers are cheesy, but the music kills. The same goes for Cradle of Filth, Symphony X, Dream Theater, 99% of death metal covers - shitty packaging may include brilliant songs. Etc., etc. It's kind of hard to generalize about the correlation between artworks and the music inside them.

I don't think it is at all really. Naturally there's always good music / bad covers and vice versa, but when you spend a lot of time looking at covers and listening to music the patterns start to emerge. When you spot a god-awful photoshop disaster 9 times out of 10 you'll get an average or worse album of music. The same is often said of crappy black and white shots of forests with cabins slapped in the middle of them. The music will often be pants. I'm not saying that great covers = great music, but wholly unimaginative, badly cheaply photoshopped album arts typically yield equally rubbish music. That was my point.

Also, Maiden's covers are at least uniform, as are CoF for the most part.
11.07.2013 - 00:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Btw the first seven Irton Maiden covers are all great, and even though Somewhere In Time is by far their wekest of the first sevven it's art work is greati. However when the Maiden covers became crap, just look at the last couple of disasters, the music was also crap.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 7087 | This month: 11