Metal Storm logo
My 2013 Likes

Pretty self explanatory. Although I usually forget to keep these kinds of lists up all year so we'll see if I keep this one up all year or forget about this one too after a couple months...

*This list is not in order of preference, just the order in which I add the albums so as to make it easy to identify the most recently added albums.

Created by: psykometal | 14.04.2013

1. Abyssal - Novit Enim Dominus Qui Sunt Eius
Portal-esque Death metal
2. Amiensus - Restoration
Melodic/Progressive/Black metal
3. Lascaille's Shroud - Interval 01: Parallel Infinities - The Inner Universe
Conceptual Progressive Death metal
4. Katalepsy - Autopsychosis
Brutal Death metal
5. Octopus - Into The Void Of Fear
Instrumental Progressive metal
6. Eschatos - Hierophanies
Black metal
7. Pomegranate Tiger - Entities
Instrumental Djent/Progressive metal
8. Coprolalia Intoxication - Level 7
Breakcore/Glitch/Cybergrind
9. Enforcer - Death By Fire
Revivalist Heavy metal
10. Caladan Brood - Echoes Of Battle
Atmospheric Black metal
11. Terra Tenebrosa - The Purging
Avantgarde metal
12. Darkest Horizon - Scattered Worlds
Melodeath
13. Gloryhammer - Tales From The Kingdom Of Fife
Power metal
14. Hammerforce - Access Denied
Power metal
15. Jolly - The Audio Guide To Happiness (Part 2)
Progressive metal
16. Necrocurse - Grip Of The Dead
Swedish Death metal
17. Officium Triste - Mors Viri
Doom metal
18. The Amenta - Flesh Is Heir
Industrial Death metal
19. Thrawsunblat - Thrawsunblat II: Wanderer On The Continent Of Saplings
Folk/Black metal
20. Wide Eyes - The Unreleased EP
Instrumental Djent/Progressive metal
21. Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies
Heavy metal/Hard rock
22. Anciients - Heart Of Oak
Progressive Sludge metal
23. Hacride - Back To Where You've Never Been
Extreme Progressive metal
24. Keep Of Kalessin - Introspection
Melodic Black metal
25. Killswitch Engage - Disarm The Descent
Metalcore
26. Pyrithion - The Burden Of Sorrow
Death metal
27. Rob Zombie - Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor
Industrial/Alternative metal
28. Stone Sour - House Of Gold & Bones - Part 2
Alternative metal
29. Trials - In The Shadow Of Swords
Thrash metal
30. Leprous - Coal
Progressive metal
31. Uneven Structure - 8
Djent/Progressive metal
32. Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn
Atmospheric "Black" metal
33. Darkthrone - The Underground Resistance
Blackened Heavy metal
34. Way To End - Various Shades Of Black
Avantgarde Black metal
35. Seeds Of Iblis - Anti Quran Rituals
Black metal
36. Autolatry - Native
Black metal
37. Children Of Bodom - Halo Of Blood
Extreme Power metal
38. Crisix - Rise?Then Rest
Revivalist Thrash metal
39. Havok - Unnatural Selection
Revivalist Thrash metal
40. Lost Society - Fast Loud Death
Revivalist Thrash metal
41. Gama Bomb - The Terror Tapes
Revivalist Thrash metal
42. Power Trip - Manifest Decimation
Thrash metal
43. Wormlust - The Feral Wisdom
Atmospheric Black metal
44. Gorguts - Colored Sands
Technical Death metal
45. Amon Amarth - Deceiver Of The Gods
Melodic Death metal
46. Watain - The Wild Hunt
Black metal
47. Born Of Osiris - Tomorrow We Die ∆live
Progressive Deathcore
48. Antigama - Meteor
Grindcore
49. Age Of Woe - Inhumanform
Death/Crust
50. Vhöl - Vhöl
Black/Crust
51. Parasite Inc. - Time Tears Down
Melodic Death metal
52. Scalpel - Sorrow And Skin
Brutal Death/Grindcore
53. Whorecore - Headless
Grindcore
54. Chalice Of Doom - Into Hypnagogia
Melodic Death/Doom metal
55. The Ruins Of Beverast - Blood Vaults (The Blazing Gospel Of Heinrich Kramer)
Blackened Doom metal
56. Dreadnought - Lifewoven
Progressive metal
57. Enshine - Origin
Marcel says it's Gothic but I say it's Melodic Death/Doom metal
58. Feto In Fetus - Condemned To The Torture
Deathgrind
59. Vin de Mia Trix - Once Hidden From Sight
Melodic Death/Doom metal
60. Vulture Industries - The Tower
Avantgarde metal
61. Hammerforce - Доступ закрыт (Dostup Zakryt)
Progressive Power metal
62. Wolfheart - Winterborn
Melodic Death metal
63. Distaste - Black Age Of Nihil
Hardcore/Grindcore
64. Perfecitizen - Through
Deathgrind
65. Progenie Terrestre Pura - U​.​M​.​A.
Atmospheric/Industrial Black metal
66. Scar The Martyr - Scar The Martyr
Alternative/Nu/Industrial metal
67. Trivium - Vengeance Falls
Alternative/Melodic Thrash metal
68. Dread Sovereign - Pray To The Devil In Man
Doom metal
69. Twilight Of The Gods - Fire On The Mountain
Heavy metal
70. Oceans Of Slumber - Aetherial
Progressive metal
71. Amaranthe - The Nexus
Pop metal
72. Obscure Sphinx - Void Mother
Post metal, Sludge metal
73. Gyze - Fascinating Violence
Extreme Power metal
74. Cult Of Fire - मृत्यु का तापसी अनुध्यान
Hindi Black metal

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by psykometal ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 30   Visited by: 129 users
17.07.2013 - 08:13
psykometal
A staff guy...
Decided to rearrange (to the best of my recollection) this list into the order in which I discovered them so that if anybody decides to revisit this list they can easily tell what has been added recently.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

19.07.2013 - 23:32
mz

Could you add your rating and also genre?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
19.07.2013 - 23:36
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by mz on 19.07.2013 at 23:32

I could add the genres, but I don't rate albums anymore. Pretty much this is my list of albums that I have most enjoyed this year. I've listened to many more than what is here, and these are the ones that I have liked the most, so you could basically think of these as all being like 8.5 or higher.
----

20.07.2013 - 17:20
mz

Written by psykometal on 19.07.2013 at 23:36

Written by mz on 19.07.2013 at 23:32

I could add the genres, but I don't rate albums anymore. Pretty much this is my list of albums that I have most enjoyed this year. I've listened to many more than what is here, and these are the ones that I have liked the most, so you could basically think of these as all being like 8.5 or higher.

of course you have listened to much more albums. I mean, man you are an active staff member . I just happened to be curious about your most favorite album of this year
anyway, tnx for adding genres
----
20.07.2013 - 18:59
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by mz on 20.07.2013 at 17:20

of course you have listened to much more albums. I mean, man you are an active staff member . I just happened to be curious about your most favorite album of this year
anyway, tnx for adding genres

Oh, I couldn't begin to pick an overall fave of the year. I can pick faves in their respective genres, but not a one and only, end all be all fave album of the year.
----

16.09.2013 - 06:20
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Lascaille's Shroud. Brilliant discovery, needs more promotion. It would be good if you staff picked it.
16.09.2013 - 06:27
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by 3rdWorld on 16.09.2013 at 06:20

Lascaille's Shroud. Brilliant discovery, needs more promotion. It would be good if you staff picked it.

Urm...I already did. O.o
----

16.09.2013 - 06:34
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by psykometal on 16.09.2013 at 06:27

Urm...I already did. O.o

Oops. My bad then.
16.09.2013 - 06:40
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by 3rdWorld on 16.09.2013 at 06:34

Oops. My bad then.

Heheh. Goober.
----

20.09.2013 - 00:26
MechanisT
Account deleted
Check this out. Tailor-made for thou.

20.09.2013 - 00:41
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Guest on 20.09.2013 at 00:26

Check this out. Tailor-made for thou.

Pretty nice deathgrind ya found there. Not sure I'd say tailor-made for moi, but still very nice. Gonna add these guys asap.

Edit: And added.
----

18.10.2013 - 21:55
angel.
Evil Butterfly
There is one album on this list which I truly dislike besides that one I agree with 70 percent of them
----
The Fangirl.
18.10.2013 - 22:06
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by angel. on 18.10.2013 at 21:55

There is one album on this list which I truly dislike besides that one I agree with 70 percent of them

And which one might that be...?
----

18.10.2013 - 22:07
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by psykometal on 18.10.2013 at 22:06

And which one might that be...?

Guess it if you can
----
The Fangirl.
19.10.2013 - 00:29
Erik M.

Written by angel. on 18.10.2013 at 22:07

Guess it if you can

I'm guessing Gloryhammer or Hammerforce (what the hell is it with power metal and hammers, hahaha). I sure as hell hope you're not talking about Chalice of Doom.

Nice list... and I usually hate year-lists. You seem to have most of my favourites but there are still some missing. I'm talking about one essential 2013 album and here it is:

Also this one:

I would also suggest Witherscape (surprised it isn't on here already) and Shade Empire... and Mourning Beloveth, but I think pure death doom might not be your cup of tea. Btw, OT is "melodic death doom" and not just "doom".
19.10.2013 - 00:38
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Erik M. on 19.10.2013 at 00:29

I'm guessing Gloryhammer or Hammerforce. I sure as hell hope you're not talking about Chalice of Doom.

although I didn't like Chalice of Doom much but I don't dislike it either, likewise Gloryhammer or Hammerforce, ok they're power metal but still they're OK I mean I don't care much but I don't dislike them either, so your guess is wrong
----
The Fangirl.
19.10.2013 - 00:45
Erik M.

Written by angel. on 19.10.2013 at 00:38

although I didn't like Chalice of Doom much but I don't dislike it either, likewise Gloryhammer or Hammerforce, ok they're power metal but still they're OK I mean I don't care much but I don't dislike them either, so your guess is wrong

Hmmm, in that case I don't have a clue which album you're referring to.
19.10.2013 - 05:26
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Erik M. on 19.10.2013 at 00:29

progenie Terrestre Pura

Yea, I've listened to it on Bandcamp a few times. It's good, and I do agree I need to get it.

Quote:
Vallendusk

I checked this out when Glenn (Nefarious) Staff picked it, it was ok, but didn't really blow my socks off at the time. Admittedly though I was not in the mood really for BM then either. It's definitely on my to-do list to check out again though.

Quote:

Witherscape (surprised it isn't on here already)

I liked Witherscape, but not sure I liked it enough to put on this list.

Quote:
Shade Empire

Have not checked this out yet at all. Will do though since you suggest it.

Quote:
and Mourning Beloveth, but I think pure death doom might not be your cup of tea.

Yea, not so much. Most pure death/doom I've checked out is just a bit too slow and uneventful for me.

Quote:
Btw, OT is "melodic death doom" and not just "doom".

According to Marcel they're just Doom.
----

19.10.2013 - 10:35
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Erik M. on 19.10.2013 at 00:45

Hmmm, in that case I don't have a clue which album you're referring to.

I was trying not mention it to avoid influencing anyone's opinion,in fact, for not drawing any attention to it ,however, it's Seeds of Iblis :
----
The Fangirl.
19.10.2013 - 17:22
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by angel. on 19.10.2013 at 10:35

I was trying not mention it to avoid influencing anyone's opinion,in fact, for not drawing any attention to it ,however, it's Seeds of Iblis :

Hmm. I would have expected you'd like such an album. If anything just because of it's particular anti-religious stance.
----

19.10.2013 - 18:14
Erik M.

Written by psykometal on 19.10.2013 at 05:26

Yea, I've listened to it on Bandcamp a few times. It's good, and I do agree I need to get it.

Hehe, good. I hope you'll add it then.

Quote:
I checked this out when Glenn (Nefarious) Staff picked it, it was ok, but didn't really blow my socks off at the time. Admittedly though I was not in the mood really for BM then either. It's definitely on my to-do list to check out again though.

It's definitely solid atmospheric BM, but the length of the album and lack of variety makes sure it's far from a masterpiece. I'd personally would rate it around an 8.0 as it's still a very good debut album. Especially when I'm in the mood for this style I can enjoy it a lot.

Quote:
I liked Witherscape, but not sure I liked it enough to put on this list.

Great album for me, but not as great as say, Crimson I and II. Although that goes without saying I guess, hahaha. Btw, do you have a minimum rating for the albums on the list?

Quote:
Have not checked this out yet at all. Will do though since you suggest it.

It's not as amazing as people make it out to be, in my opinion. Initially found this worthy of a 9 (as it's pretty damn impressive), but after multiple spins I found myself liking it less and less so it dropped 1 point. So a great album but too long for its own good and sometimes over-the-top (you'll know what I mean when you listen to it ).

Quote:
Yea, not so much. Most pure death/doom I've checked out is just a bit too slow and uneventful for me.

Haha, I already guessed that this might be the case. Not sure where I'd rank Formless, but The Sullen Sulcus is easily MB's best album (simply brillant, that one), with Dust (their debut) as the 2nd best album.

Quote:
According to Marcel they're just Doom.

That's strange, as they are clearly melodic. Mors Viri is pretty melodic and the least you could do is label them as "melodic doom".

I'm curious what Marcel will say when he reads this, hahaha. 40 Watt Sun is a good example of traditional doom metal (idiots in the comments there don't know a thing as this is clearly doom and not heavy atmospheric rock or anything ). Listen to that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esAK9sKeArw. And compare it to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOxwpb5Pk0Q

Just pointing out the big difference between those styles, hope you don't mind. Oh, and their Facebook page says they're "melodic Rotterdoom" (as they are from Rotterdam).
19.10.2013 - 18:29
Erik M.

Written by angel. on 19.10.2013 at 10:35

Damn, I totally missed that album when I was going through this list. If I noticed it I would've known that's the album you were referring to. You made me listen to it a while ago (when you were still on Facebook) and I hated it as well due to those awful religious (sounding) chants that are regularly heard, which is very strange to me considering they claim to be anti-religious. Big deal that they're anti-religious... who cares? The vast majority of black metal bands is anti-religious and aren't fakers like Seeds of Iblis that somehow need utterly annoying chants in their music.

Written by psykometal on 19.10.2013 at 17:22

Hmm. I would have expected you'd like such an album. If anything just because of it's particular anti-religious stance.

Mary is anti-religious, just like I am. And while I'm pretty extreme in that sense (not as in that I'm an extremist of course (ever heard of an atheist extremist? ), but that I have a deep aversion to religion in general) I dare to say she's even more extreme and hates religion more than me, and with good reason I must say (from what I've heard from her). (btw, don't confuse hating religion with hating religious people, because there's a BIG difference between those two things, as I obviously don't (necessarily) hate religious people... except for extremists of course)
19.10.2013 - 19:05
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Erik M. on 19.10.2013 at 18:29

Mary is anti-religious, just like I am. And while I'm pretty extreme in that sense (not as in that I'm an extremist of course (ever heard of an atheist extremist? ), but that I have a deep aversion to religion in general) I dare to say she's even more extreme and hates religion more than me, and with good reason I must say (from what I've heard from her). (btw, don't confuse hating religion with hating religious people, because there's a BIG difference between those two things, as I obviously don't (necessarily) hate religious people... except for extremists of course)

I know, which is why I would have assumed she, not necessarily liked it, but that she wouldn't hate or dislike it.

I understand the difference between hating religion and hating religious people quite well. I have many friends, both online and irl, that hate religion but don't hate me. I am religious in the sense that I am a Chrisitan, and I do pray from time to time, but I don't preach it or try to convert anybody. And I probably would have been run off from MS a long time ago if hating religion and hating religious people were one and the same.
----

19.10.2013 - 20:44
Erik M.

Written by psykometal on 19.10.2013 at 19:05

I know, which is why I would have assumed she, not necessarily liked it, but that she wouldn't hate or dislike it.

I understand the difference between hating religion and hating religious people quite well. I have many friends, both online and irl, that hate religion but don't hate me. I am religious in the sense that I am a Chrisitan, and I do pray from time to time, but I don't preach it or try to convert anybody. And I probably would have been run off from MS a long time ago if hating religion and hating religious people were one and the same.

Fair enough, it's understandable. Glad you understand what I meant. I have no trouble with religious people in most cases (and when there's not a discussion about it ) and you seem to be pretty open-minded for a Christian, so that surprised me at first, but in a positive way of course. I mainly can't stand ignorance and conversatism. I also find it hilarious that some (religious) people think atheists hate god, which is of course ludicrous considering we deny its existence. That kind of ignorance I can't stand. Anyway, let's drop the subject before a discussion arises.
19.10.2013 - 21:01
mz

Written by psykometal on 19.10.2013 at 17:22

I guess that she hates them because of their anti-religious lyrics. Believe me bands like SoI can destroy the metal scene in middle east since they can activate fundamentalism against metal or music in general
----
26.11.2013 - 02:03
MechanisT
Account deleted
Some great symphonic/progressive/tech death/deathcore mish mash to ward off herpies with.

26.11.2013 - 02:49
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Guest on 26.11.2013 at 02:03

Some great symphonic/progressive/tech death/deathcore mish mash to ward off herpies with.

Well fuck me running. Why did nobody tell me their full length is finally out?! Been waiting for this to drop so I could add them to MS.
----

26.11.2013 - 02:54
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by psykometal on 26.11.2013 at 02:49

Well fuck me running. Why did nobody tell me their full length is finally out?! Been waiting for this to drop so I could add them to MS.

Uhh... I just did. :p So thrive and prosper. In my name.
26.11.2013 - 04:02
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Guest on 26.11.2013 at 02:54

Uhh... I just did. :p So thrive and prosper. In my name.

And you're 12 days late fucker! :p
----

17.12.2013 - 22:57
MechanisT
Account deleted
Not a big fan of brutal death myself but... this is just too damn good to pass up on.

Hits total: 3824 | This month: 8