Metal Storm logo
Insomnium - In The Studio

Since the beginning of this week, melodic death metallers Insomnium have been sharing photos from the studio and released a short note saying that "some Insomnium members are in a secret location recording something which might be released pretty soon." The band is being secretive about it, so it is unclear whether they are recording their new album or have some other release planned but at least we know that the band has been working on a new album, writing new lyrics and rehearsing new songs.

Insomnium's last album One For Sorrow was released in 2011. On his latest studio blog last month, Ville Friman confirmed that the band had about ten to twelve songs and demos ready.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Insomnium
Posted: 18.07.2013 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 35   Visited by: 196 users
18.07.2013 - 13:02
mz
I used to think that this band plays relatively original version of melodeth before and obviously it is not true. I know that they have great potential and managed to write very good songs but it would be shame if they continue to deliver safe and generic albums. Lets hope that this time they would do sth different
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
18.07.2013 - 13:22
Kuroboshi
There last one was solid. As long as these guys and Amon Amarth keep doing their thing, I don't have to check out other Gothenburg bands.
18.07.2013 - 13:28
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Cool, looking forward to what these guys have to offer. The last album suffered from bad production though (imo) and I hope that this will not be a problem on this one. Wonder if they are able to top Above The Weeping World..
18.07.2013 - 16:27
s_t_s
Only know the band 3 latest albums and I really like them so I don't mind if there's a new album sounding as good as the lastest ones
18.07.2013 - 17:44
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Sorry Insomnium fans, Fractal Gates has taken over the title for best melodic death metal band on the planet. I found Insomnium's last last album to be a little drab.
----
rekt
18.07.2013 - 19:59
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Can't wait
18.07.2013 - 20:37
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Their latest album has grown me a lot, this is definitely the news of the day.
----
18.07.2013 - 21:21
Opethian
Written by mz on 18.07.2013 at 13:02

I used to think that this band plays relatively original version of melodeth before and obviously it is not true. I know that they have great potential and managed to write very good songs but it would be shame if they continue to deliver safe and generic albums. Lets hope that this time they would do sth different

I agree with you 100%. I wasn't too impressed with their last album. All i can do i cross my fingers
18.07.2013 - 22:10
Constantine
Written by tea[m]ster on 18.07.2013 at 17:44

Sorry Insomnium fans, Fractal Gates has taken over the title for best melodic death metal band on the planet. I found Insomnium's last last album to be a little drab.

Sorry Fractal Gates' fan, but I found Fractal Gates' last albm to be a little drab.

Back to Insomnium - great news for me, hopefully they gonna deliver what their fans expect.
19.07.2013 - 02:22
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Good news! Looking forward to it. Despite all the talk, I don't think they've disappointed us so far, and I enjoyed last album quite a lot.

Be'lakor for me. The most unique band I've heard in many years.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
19.07.2013 - 07:23
Stevo69
I think its great news. A great band. Cant wait to hear whatever they release.
19.07.2013 - 09:58
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Good news too. Bring it on!
19.07.2013 - 11:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dark Blood on 19.07.2013 at 02:22

You can't listen to much music then
19.07.2013 - 11:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 19.07.2013 at 11:20

I was thinking the exact same thing
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.07.2013 - 12:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.07.2013 at 11:46

I was thinking the exact same thing

We probably shouldn't start all this up again though
19.07.2013 - 12:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 19.07.2013 at 12:21

We probably shouldn't start all this up again though

why not? Be honest within this genre of music there hasn't a unique band or release for at least more than a decade. It seems like all the bands try to outdo each other in middle of the road boring genericness. Even for generic music, which does plague more subgenres, melodeath is about the worst around. Just look at the latest two Dark Tranquillity releases. A band who qwe could rely on to release something fresh. But even DT has gone down the road of stale music.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.07.2013 - 14:22
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Let me wallow in self-indulgence for a minute and quote myself. This is from my review of Soilwork's The Panic Broadcast back from 2010:

Quote:
Just like their more famous compatriots, Dark Tranquillity and In Flames, Soilwork are beginning to show the shallowness of the whole melodeath subgenre - there simply aren't enough intriguing elements in melodeath that would yield good results when/if built upon by even the most talented representatives, Soilwork among them.

These words seem to be as valid are they were 3 years back. And will probably remain valid till the inevitable end of the most boring subgenre of metal.
19.07.2013 - 14:42
Reaper_Redeemer

Good news! Looking forward to it. Despite all the talk, I don't think they've disappointed us so far, and I enjoyed last album quite a lot.

+10000

let them QQ
19.07.2013 - 16:32
Vombatus
Potorro
Using the word "unique" when refering to any modern melodeath band is a contradiction.
19.07.2013 - 21:22
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by Guest on 19.07.2013 at 11:20

You can't take someone's opinion without jumping onto them do you? Well, what if I can't listen to much music? Maybe there's a reason for that, but I'd gladly take any suggestions from someone more knowledgeable.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
19.07.2013 - 21:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dark Blood on 19.07.2013 at 21:22

You can't take someone's opinion without jumping onto them do you? Well, what if I can't listen to much music? Maybe there's a reason for that, but I'd gladly take any suggestions from someone more knowledgeable.

For melodeath? Even I couldn't recommend you much in the way of interesting or unique stuff there Could always try the likes of early Arsis, Edge of Sanity (Crimson and Crimson II in particular), Arghoslent (racist band though), Barren Earth, Kalisia (Skies demo), Intestine Baalism, Garden of Shadows, Unanimated, early Disarmonia Mundi (Nebularium album), Atrophia Red Sun, Eucharist, Hearse. Of course few or none of these are your typical gothenburg melodeath and are all quite different having varying strains and forms of melodic death metal in their music. All are great, or once great bands however.

If you try only one of these albums it should be this one.

20.07.2013 - 19:08
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by Opethian on 18.07.2013 at 21:21

I agree with you 100%. I wasn't too impressed with their last album. All i can do i cross my fingers

I 3rd this. I love their first few albums because of the emotion that pours through them but the most recent was bland and emotionless.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
20.07.2013 - 19:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by AngelofDeth on 20.07.2013 at 19:08

I 3rd this. I love their first few albums because of the emotion that pours through them but the most recent was bland and emotionless.

you can´t third something You just second it
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.07.2013 - 20:48
Opethian
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.07.2013 at 19:15

Written by AngelofDeth on 20.07.2013 at 19:08

you can´t third something You just second it

i get what he meant Marcel
21.07.2013 - 20:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Opethian on 21.07.2013 at 20:48

i get what he meant Marcel

You might get what I mean, but I wonder if AngelOfDeth whom I quoted also gets it
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.07.2013 - 20:57
Opethian
Written by Guest on 19.07.2013 at 21:36

Written by Dark Blood on 19.07.2013 at 21:22

For melodeath? Even I couldn't recommend you much in the way of interesting or unique stuff there Could always try the likes of early Arsis, Edge of Sanity (Crimson and Crimson II in particular), Arghoslent (racist band though), Barren Earth, Kalisia (Skies demo), Intestine Baalism, Garden of Shadows, Unanimated, early Disarmonia Mundi (Nebularium album), Atrophia Red Sun, Eucharist, Hearse. Of course few or none of these are your typical gothenburg melodeath and are all quite different having varying strains and forms of melodic death metal in their music. All are great, or once great bands however.

If you try only one of these albums it should be this one.

Dude , that was downright fucking amazing! ... Oh! and by the way that took a shit on the last 2 Insomnium albums hahahaha!
21.07.2013 - 21:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Opethian on 21.07.2013 at 20:57

Dude , that was downright fucking amazing! ... Oh! and by the way that took a shit on the last 2 Insomnium albums hahahaha!

Had you never heard Crimson before then? As an Opeth fan I could have guessed you'd like it. Not least because Akerfeldt actually does some vocals on it.
22.07.2013 - 05:09
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor

Yes, I like them. However, every one of their albums sound the same! I hope next time they put out something with a bit more variance.
----
rekt
22.07.2013 - 08:17
Opethian
Written by Guest on 21.07.2013 at 21:15

Written by Opethian on 21.07.2013 at 20:57

Had you never heard Crimson before then? As an Opeth fan I could have guessed you'd like it. Not least because Akerfeldt actually does some vocals on it.

I heard of them, but never took the time. Thanks for posting that video oh and btw, who the hell is Opeth? ..... lol
25.07.2013 - 02:05
Nightfall
Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 19.07.2013 at 14:42

+10000

let them QQ

I love Be'lakor, but let's face it: They are far from being original.

Hits total: 3713 | This month: 11