03. Cosmos: The Pattern Forms
04. A Glimpse Of Omniscience
05. Adrift II: A Vision Ends
06. The Escapist
07. The Dictator
08. The Artist
09. Awaiting
10. Transcendence

More than two years ago I highlighted the second level and now I'm back trying to serve as a pointer for this underrated album. With the disappointing new Cynic effort I find myself constantly returning to here, filling the void. Bye bye breakdowns, it appears the band is trying to distance themselves from the "core" label and present a more mature, intention-driven output. The cheese may be gone, but the fun remains the same. Subdued synths are more poignant when compared to 2, with the end result being a more balanced sound.
Cynic != new Cynic;
If Cynic || Between The Buried And Me || Protest The Hero rings true to you, listen to this album.

Introspekrieg's picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: Account deleted, X-Ray Rod, psykometal, Ag Fox
Bandcamp music player

Found in 3 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 151 users
25.07.2013 - 04:17
Rating: 9
herbalizer
Woot got released early!

11/10
10.03.2014 - 06:25
Diverge
Thanks for the recommendation, Intro. This is really sweet.
10.03.2014 - 11:08
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by herbalizer on 25.07.2013 at 04:17

Woot got released early!

11/10

11/10, you rate it a 9,logic! Either way, I read Between The Buried And Me, will definitely check this out
10.03.2014 - 12:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Damn, sounds excellent as expected.

I love bands that understand how to properly incorporate an ambient backdrop to their music, gives it an entirely extra dimension. This is some superbly layered and engaging music. Lots of stuff going on but never seems busy, theatrical or overdone. The vocals are especially well handled; they could have easily overpowered everything here but there's some intelligent restraint on top of the fact it's been backgrounded in the production somewhat.
10.03.2014 - 18:19
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 10.03.2014 at 12:27

Damn, sounds excellent as expected.

I love bands that understand how to properly incorporate an ambient backdrop to their music, gives it an entirely extra dimension. This is some superbly layered and engaging music. Lots of stuff going on but never seems busy, theatrical or overdone. The vocals are especially well done; they could have easily overpowered everything here but there's some intelligent restraint on top of the fact it's been backgrounded in the production somewhat.

All of this makes me very hard.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.03.2014 - 18:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 10.03.2014 at 18:19

All of this makes me very hard.

This song particularly stays in my head.

10.03.2014 - 20:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Damn, that song was awesome! D: The layers... Those vocals!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.03.2014 - 23:45
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Ahh this is what prog should sound like. Not overly-cheesy, the perfect balance of impressive instrumentation and great songwriting, and fantastic vocals to boot. It's been so long since I've heard their sophomore release, but this gives me a reason to go check it out again.
EDIT: Every Ayreon fanboy should check this out so they know what good prog sounds like.
11.03.2014 - 00:31
Diverge
Written by Alex F on 10.03.2014 at 23:45

EDIT: Every Ayreon fanboy should check this out so they know what good prog sounds like.

I'm not really sure why this edit is necessary. I'm not a big fan of Ayreon either, but the bands clearly cater to two different audiences within the progressive community. The jab here against the fanboys is kind of pointless, imo. It's not like any of them are going to change their minds after listening to this album.
11.03.2014 - 11:22
Rating: 9
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Diverge on 11.03.2014 at 00:31

I'm not really sure why this edit is necessary. I'm not a big fan of Ayreon either, but the bands clearly cater to two different audiences within the progressive community. The jab here against the fanboys is kind of pointless, imo. It's not like any of them are going to change their minds after listening to this album.

Word.
You may try persuading Cynic fans who are disappointed with their latest album and have a better chance of changing their minds rather than Ayreon.
12.03.2014 - 17:23
Lethrokai
I've tried getting into these guys since I saw Level 2 featured in the Staff Picks, but I dunno... there's just something about their sound that puts me off. The production is great!... but the music itself just doesn't seem to be working for me. I'm gonna give this one just a few more shots. Who knows, maybe I'll find what people are getting so hyped about.

Right now though... it's just ok.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
13.03.2014 - 17:33
Zap
Is this the band that had a video game matching their whole album?
15.03.2014 - 02:09
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
Written by Zap on 13.03.2014 at 17:33

Yes it is, I believe it is either still in production or they ran out of money, hasn't been an update in ages. May have been too ambitious for such a young, unknown band.

15.03.2014 - 02:38
mz
Written by Introspekrieg on 15.03.2014 at 02:09

Yes it is, I believe it is either still in production or they ran out of money, hasn't been an update in ages. May have been too ambitious for such a young, unknown band.

link

what a cool idea.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
16.03.2014 - 05:41
Rulatore

*youtube

well, that song was amazing, I'll surely check the album after this one
19.03.2014 - 16:57
Zap

Oh yeah, now I remember you could play one level/song for free. I remember thinking it's a really cool gimmick but the music itself didn't really interest me. I'll still give this one a chance though.
13.09.2014 - 00:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This album practically listens to itself it's that good.
30.11.2014 - 05:41
Rating: 7
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I knew those terrible vocals sounded familiar...

Pretty intricate songwriting that proves captivating, but the vocal melodies kill it
15.02.2024 - 06:34
Rating: 10
Moose
Written by LeKiwi on 30.11.2014 at 05:41

I knew those terrible vocals sounded familiar...

Pretty intricate songwriting that proves captivating, but the vocal melodies kill it

Interesting, Michael Lessard has always been a highlight for me across both this band and The Contortionist. I think it fits really well; both his clean and unclean vocals. Personal taste perhaps!

(slightly delayed reply to your comment!)
15.02.2024 - 09:25
Rating: 7
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Moose on 15.02.2024 at 06:34

Interesting, Michael Lessard has always been a highlight for me across both this band and The Contortionist. I think it fits really well; both his clean and unclean vocals. Personal taste perhaps!

(slightly delayed reply to your comment!)

I was being unnecessarily abrasive Btw I was only referring to the vocal melodies, which aren't as grating as I made them out to be, but they do feel lazy and really take me out of the zone. It's interesting that I've actually enjoyed the vocalist's performance on the last few outputs from The Contortionist. Do you think he's changed his style or does it sound the same to you?

That said, I do find myself being super picky with melodies in general (totally subjective as you said of course), so much so that it only takes one melody that rubs me the wrong way for me turn it off

Hits total: 4434 | This month: 22