Metal Storm logo
Imagining the Tenth Dimension

25.12.2006 - 23:45
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
http://www.tenthdimension.com/medialinks.php

An animation based on the book of the same name. a bit difficult to really get your head around but interesting. You really need to watch it a few times.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
26.12.2006 - 03:52
Damnated
Churchburner
it is interesting, and it is logical. and what's funny is it can proove the existence of god, to any non believer
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
26.12.2006 - 06:22
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Whoa...the 8th dimension is crazy. I've never thought about different types of infinities created through initial conditions which are different from our own big bang

I want to buy this book now...
26.12.2006 - 10:20
Hyvaarin
That's a real mindfuck. It's interesting stuff, but I don't know how we can really use the findings/theory.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
26.12.2006 - 15:33
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by Dangerboner on 26.12.2006 at 06:22

Whoa...the 8th dimension is crazy. I've never thought about different types of infinities created through initial conditions which are different from our own big bang

I want to buy this book now...

it's guaranteed to be very confusing. I started to read a book called 'a short history of absolutely everything' by Bill Bryson which is supposed to be a dumbed-down explanation of some of Steven Hawking's theories. I was completely lost by chapter 3 so I can't imagine this being very easy to understand.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
26.12.2006 - 19:36
Skald
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 26.12.2006 at 03:52

and what's funny is it can proove the existence of god, to any non believer
How?

Anyway, let's take a closer look at the theory.
From what I've seen, the 10th dimension is supposed to contain all possible events in the entire duration. That means it contains a world, where some dude discovered a way to travel throughout all the dimensions. What is more, this dude wants to kill me (and for no apparent reason too!)
And if that wasn't enough, he planned the murder for an hour ago... Strangely enough, I am still alive. Could it be that infinite number of alternative versions of this event occured and I live in a version where I've been saved? But what if he discovered a way to wipe out all instances of me in the entire multiverse? That's another possible event, but at the same time there must be an event where I've been saved. So here we have a paradox.
It turns out not all events are possible in this multiverse and this means our multiverse cannot constitute infinite instances of various universes. Now if it has finite number of universes, it can be represented by a number. If we'll connect it with other numbers (which will also represent multiverses with finite number of universes), we will form a line. This line will be the 11th dimension. The line should go from 0 to infinity. 0 representing multiverse that contains nothing, while infinity - multiverse that contains everything (and as such - multiverse filled with paradoxes). Next we can make infinite instances of how the line goes from 0 to infinity - 12th dimension. We won't be able to fold those dimensions, as that would put us back to the paradox. And now the question arises what could hold all those 12 dimensions; Multiverses that contain nothing, paradoxal realities and all that is in-between. The answer would be a theoretical mind. If you think about it, human can both restrain himself from thinking about anything and come up with concepts that are absolute paradoxes. So that can be the 13th dimension.
But that would mean we exist in a mind. And it can go the other way around too. We can think about a man in some sort of world, who's thinking about a man in some sort of world, who's thinking about a man in some sort of world, who's... and so on. Reoccuring concept of man thinking about a man (in certain time, space and reality) thinking, can push the dimensions into infinity.

In other words, the number of dimensions is potentially unlimited.
29.12.2006 - 01:01
Lupas
Maximus
For me it is only an imagination from a fruitful mind i do belive that there is the fourth dimension but the 5th, 6th , 7th etc ......

If man can ever travel at a speed of light , he will able to travel in time , this is the 4th dimension. I don't think that there is more posibilites .
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
30.12.2006 - 14:20
Xeper
Account deleted
Fascinating stuff. I'd better to remember the superstring theory once I've grabbed the basics first...
31.12.2006 - 17:02
DeathMuffin
It's very intense stuff, but seeing as a two dimensional thing can't spring itself into the third dimension without help from a third dimensional being, I don't see how we can use the fourth dimension without the help of a fourth dimensional being...
31.12.2006 - 17:36
Skald
Account deleted
Written by DeathMuffin on 31.12.2006 at 17:02

but seeing as a two dimensional thing can't spring itself into the third dimension without help from a third dimensional being
We wouldn't be able to move two dimensional objects to start with.
But no, if a "flatlander" would pin magnets to two ends of a surface, it would fold in the third dimension. No help from 3d beings is needed.
07.01.2007 - 17:54
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 26.12.2006 at 03:52

it is interesting, and it is logical. and what's funny is it can proove the existence of god, to any non believer

Prove the existence of god, not really, why? Beacuse so many is cought on the thought that everything has to have a beginning and an end. How about there is no beginning and end? Then there need not be explained by making up the god figure.
08.01.2007 - 20:10
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 07.01.2007 at 17:54

Prove the existence of god, not really, why? Beacuse so many is cought on the thought that everything has to have a beginning and an end. How about there is no beginning and end? Then there need not be explained by making up the god figure.

well, not proove, but lets just say that this theory also brings god in the picture.

what I mean is, that dimention 3 is similar to dimention 6 and to 9. we exist in dimention 3 and 4. something might also exist in dimention 6 going through 7. this is available in the case of 9 and 10. but since there's no dimention after the 10th, the being that exists in this dimention is nothing more then a dot, it's absolute infinity. according to the string theory this 10th dimentional dot is the vibration that powers the strings . or you can just call it God.

the pic tell's you all imo
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
08.01.2007 - 20:19
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 08.01.2007 at 20:10

or you can just call it God.

the pic tell's you all imo

I wouldnt really call it god since it is not a higher being, just a random force in that case.
08.01.2007 - 22:59
RavenLord
Written by Guest on 08.01.2007 at 20:19

I wouldnt really call it god since it is not a higher being, just a random force in that case.

But what is this force but the thing that sustains, creates and ultimately destroys all life? Mankind has a nasty habit of anthropomorphising various natural forces into Gods. Thunderstorm? Blame Thor. Tidal wave killed your herd? Poseidon's angry with you. The interesting thing is that we are ridiculously far down the dimensional scale. We can imagine 10 dimensions before we hit the infinity of all possible infinites...what if some 10th dimensional being is aware that there is something past infinity? Then the cycle of dimensions can continue, up to something which would, by our feeble understanding, constitute a 'God'. The string theory doesn't rule out the existence of God...it simply broadens our scope to a certain point (one can never 'prove' the existence of a deity that is supposedly reliant on the faith of his people, anyway).

That said, it does mindfuck you a wee bit...:shit:
----