Metal Storm logo
Fates Warning - Premiere New Song

Maybe because it's vocalist Ray Alder's birthday, proggers Fates Warning have chosen today to officially premiere their brand new song "Firefly". How will they sound after almost a decade? You can take a listen on the video available below. It still very much sounds like Fates Warning indeed. Check it out.

The album will be released on September 30th, 2013 in Europe and October 1st, 2013 in North America via InsideOut. You can find more details here.

Ray Alder commented about the song: "'Firefly' is very personal to me in more ways than one... After I had written the melody for this song, I knew immediately what the title was going to be, as well as the subject, it just fit the mood. As for the subject, I'm pretty sure we've all felt this way at one time or another. Sometimes things just don't work out the way you think they would, but that's okay, that's part of life... We move on. Ironically, while recording 'Firefly' in New Hampshire I was outside the studio late one night, and there they were, floating through the trees in the forest! I hadn't seen a single firefly for at least fifteen year since I had left my hometown of San Antonio TX, so I kinda took it as a sign, a sign of what, I don't know... But very ironic nonetheless..."

Darkness In A Different Light tracklist:

01. One Thousand Fires
02. Firefly
03. Desire
04. Falling
05. I Am
06. Lighthouse
07. Into The Black
08. Kneel And Obey
09. O Chloroform
10. And Yet It Moves

Source: insideoutmusic.com
Band profile: Fates Warning
Posted: 20.08.2013 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 12   Visited by: 84 users
20.08.2013 - 19:35
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Sounds nice. Not groundbreaking, but nice. Anyway, after waiting for so long for a new Fates Warning album I will be happy even if doesn't prove to be a masterpiece.

P.S. The riff that starts at about 2:50 sounds very cool, by the way.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
20.08.2013 - 21:07
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Really cool! This is better than anything I've heard off of the Disconnected album really. The Arch/Matheos project must have refreshed Fates Warning as well.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
20.08.2013 - 21:12
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by CobiWan1993 on 20.08.2013 at 21:07

Really cool! This is better than anything I've heard off of the Disconnected album really. The Arch/Matheos project must have refreshed Fates Warning as well.

Really? Disconnected is almost perfect for me actually. So, I disagree that it is better than anything from that album. But it was so long ago as well. The new song is promising at least.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
20.08.2013 - 21:15
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Excellent is all i can say, loved it!
20.08.2013 - 23:23
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by BloodTears on 20.08.2013 at 21:12

Written by CobiWan1993 on 20.08.2013 at 21:07

Really? Disconnected is almost perfect for me actually. So, I disagree that it is better than anything from that album. But it was so long ago as well. The new song is promising at least.

Granted, it doesn't quite touch the songs "Still Remains" or "Something From Nothing" from that album, I may have exaggerated that claim slightly. But overall, I really enjoy this new one here, it's promising indeed. That's just what I think anyway.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
21.08.2013 - 00:11
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
That was really good. One of these days I should probably explore their stuff more thoroughly.
21.08.2013 - 00:39
Antidote

Beautiful, melodic and a bit melancholic - just the Fates Warning I like so much...thank you guys!
21.08.2013 - 04:06
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I loved Arch/Matheos, but it's nice to hear Ray Alder singing with these guys again (Bobby Jarzombek is new-ish, of course).

And by the way, if you haven't heard Alder's other band, Redemption, check them out. I got to see them open for Dream Theater about six years ago and they were awesome. I haven't listened to their newer stuff, but The Origins of Ruin was a great album, in my opinion.
----
The force will be with you, always.
21.08.2013 - 10:14
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Very excited to hear the rest of the album! It sounds very good! And those riffs - yep, just like the old times
21.08.2013 - 11:00
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by CobiWan1993 on 20.08.2013 at 23:23

Granted, it doesn't quite touch the songs "Still Remains" or "Something From Nothing" from that album, I may have exaggerated that claim slightly. But overall, I really enjoy this new one here, it's promising indeed. That's just what I think anyway.

lol Don't worry about it, I get it that you were excited with the new song I quite like it as well. In the end, if the new album turns out to be better than Disconnect, that would be perfect!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
21.08.2013 - 11:44
Marillion

Sounds great!
02.09.2013 - 00:29
treptolemus
aphotic_zoning
Can't wait to see them live! Ray still sounds good.
----
\m/etalstor\m/

Hits total: 3381 | This month: 5