01. Enter Purgatory
02. Thoughts Collide
03. Monstrous
04. Before the Collapse
05. Towards Disaster
06. Psychonaut
07. Satan's Shepherd
08. Thrashterpiece II

Fatality's Psychonaut reminds me of those treacherous job interviews I think pretty much everyone goes through at least once in their lives. You sit down, confident in your job-acquiring abilities, but as the interview progresses, both you and your now not-so-prospective employer begin to realize how tremendously under-qualified you are for the job. Then it becomes a race of intricate phrasing between you and the interviewer to gently put an end to the torture.

So now the tables have turned. We, the listeners, are now the proverbial bosses here, and Fatality is the potential employee. They've just walked into your office and you know off the bat you've done this same interview before. Not with the same person, but with dozens of other folks with the same mundane personality.

Revivalist thrash. That's really about it. Heavy doses of Warbringer and Municipal Waste really sums this up. An occasional sped-up Thin Lizzy/Iron Maiden harmony is sometimes shoved in there for good measure. That could be seen as a plus, if, not totally unlike the rest of the album, it wasn't done by countless other bands.

There's an off chance Psychonaut could have been a tighter album had they trimmed things up a bit. There's a distinct feeling of over-indulgence going on here. You know what makes a lot of these intense new-aged thrash bands interesting? They have a respect for the power of brevity. The fury and DIY feel of Fatality is actually somewhat endearing at the start. Unfortunately, after 6 minutes of an unchanging song that was already kind of stale to begin with, it's hard to give a shit.

Fatality's Psychonaut is the audio equivalent of a poorly choreographed action sequence in a movie that just doesn't seem to end.

Written on 26.08.2013 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 115 users
26.08.2013 - 14:43
Obay

Good artwork though ,,
26.08.2013 - 16:12
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
I think I'll stick with this Psychonaut
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
26.08.2013 - 17:15
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Nice review, very well done. I kinda agree with Obay
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
26.08.2013 - 18:12
Mattybu

Another great review man. I might check some out to be patriotic but sounds like a bit of a dud.

Hits total: 13120 | This month: 3