Style: Post-rock, Instrumental rock
Release date: May 2013

01. Approaching
02. On A Fading Road
03. Ripples And Time
04. Glow In Isolation
05. Escapism
06. Void

"When Jason Street went down the first game of the season, everybody wrote us off. Everybody. And yet here we are at the championship game. Forty thousand people out there have also written us off. But there are a few out there who still believe in you? Clear eyes, full hearts? CAN'T LOSE!"

Sorry, for a moment there Slowrun sounded so much like Explosions In The Sky that I started to have "Friday Night Lights" flashbacks.

So, at this point either you know exactly what I'm talking about and what to expect, or are still scratching your head. For the head scratchers, both Slowrun and
Explosions In The Sky play a form of post-rock centering on clean tones with a little reverb, slowly building to shimmering crescendos.

Not at all metal. Not even in a neighboring country of the People's Republic of Metal. But still perhaps of interest to those of you who listen to stuff from beyond the PRoM's borders.

Perhaps my initial comparison is slightly heavy-handed, but even Mrs Cold, with neither interest nor knowledge in post-rock, post-metal or metal in general, after 15 seconds of "On A Fading Road" went straight to the adventures of Coach Erik Taylor.

While a couple songs sound eerily like EITS, they do develop a bit more of their own identity in later tracks on the album. Not terribly different, still chill post-rock, but more their own.
It should also be noted that EITS' The Earth Is Not A Cold, Dead Place remains the only album I've ever heard playing at a record store and picked up on the spot. I literally had to have them pull the disk that was playing so I could buy it? So while I spent a couple hundred words stating that Slowrun's Prologue is derivative, it's derived from an album/style I thoroughly enjoy.

Perhaps in future efforts they'll spend more time carving out their own sound and building their own identity beyond ExSlowruns In The Sky comparisons.

Texas Forever, Texas Whatever.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 5
Production: 7

Written on 27.08.2013 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 119 users
27.08.2013 - 07:26
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Sounds like something I'd enjoy, may check it out at some point.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.08.2013 - 18:58
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Boxcar Willy on 27.08.2013 at 07:26

Sounds like something I'd enjoy, may check it out at some point.

it's enjoyable, don't get me wrong. i liked listening to it.

the rating is more or less reflective of the fact a large portion of it is terribly similar to another artist.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.09.2013 - 17:19
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
It's quality stuff, it's just that I have 19,432 albums exactly like it in my collection.
----
rekt

Hits total: 13346 | This month: 4