Metal Storm logo
Mikael Åkerfeldt - To Curate 2014 Roadburn Festival

It has been confirmed by Roadburn festival and Opeth that frontman Mikael Åkerfeldt has agreed to curate Roadburn Festival 2014 on Friday, April 11th at the 013 venue in Tilburg, The Netherlands. As curator, Mikael will personally select the bands for his special event, and play a headline show with Opeth too. It promises to be a celebration of progressive rock, psychedelic folk, the heavy 70s and beyond.

"It's with great honour that I accepted the invitation to be the curator for the 2014 Roadburn festival", says Mikael Åkerfeldt, "I'm pretty damn far from being a professional booker / promotor, and I've never been part in choosing bands for an event apart from bands that Opeth has toured with. So this is a first for me, but I have to say I'm very excited."

"I've reached out to a handful of my favourite bands from the past and present. As of now it looks like it will be an amazing musical event. Still brainstorming about possible bands for this glorious festival but I already know that I'm going to be like a kid at Christmas. It will be amazing! Plain and simple. Obviously Opeth will perform as well, but to be quite honest with you, our own performance doesn't get me nearly as excited as the thought of experiencing the bands that have shown interest. It will be remarkable and memorable. A celebration, bitches!"

Roadburn's line-up for next year looks like this so far: Brutus, Freedom Hawk, Conan, Tyranny, Opeth, E-Musikgruppe Lux Ohr, Gozu, Horse Latitudes, Inter Arma, Loop, Mansion, Momentum, Windhand, 11 Paranoias, The Heads, Kandodo, Locrian and True Widow.

Roadburn Festival 2014 will run for four days from Thursday, April 10th to Sunday, April 13th, 2014 at the 013 venue in Tilburg, The Netherlands. As for Opeth, they are currently in the writing process of their new album.

Source: roadburn.com
Band profile: Opeth
Event: Roadburn Festival 2014
Posted: 27.08.2013 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 23   Visited by: 236 users
27.08.2013 - 19:13
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Cool!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
27.08.2013 - 19:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
You can add The Heads, Kandodo and True Widow to that list.

It'd be nice to see Opeth again. Only see them once and I really enjoyed it but I seriously hope he won't do something stupid like "hey, I wanna play Heritage in its entirety".
On the other hand, I'm not really excited by the idea of Mikael being the curator. I get the feeling that the entire friday will just be prog. :\
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.08.2013 - 19:21
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.08.2013 at 19:13

You can add The Heads, Kandodo and True Widow to that list.

It'd be nice to see Opeth again. Only see them once and I really enjoyed it but I seriously hope he won't do something stupid like "hey, I wanna play Heritage in its entirety".
On the other hand, I'm not really excited by the idea of Mikael being the curator. I get the feeling that the entire friday will just be prog. :\

Done, tks!

I for one would love to see this depending on the bands he chooses. He will probably pick a lot of obscure stuff.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
27.08.2013 - 19:27
Warman
Erotic Stains

I get the feeling that the entire friday will just be prog. :\

I'm not so sure, he has a pretty wide taste when it comes to music. My guess is that it's gonna be some extreme metal stuff too. But yeah, still mostly prog probably.
----
27.08.2013 - 19:58
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress

I saw Opeth in May in Ft. Lauderdale. There was a lot of the same talk among my friends like "oh, Mikael's just gonna play a bunch of their newer stuff, the set isn't going to be extreme at all," but in fact it was just the opposite. I think the guy's well aware of how he has to strike a balance for the fans of both sides of Opeth's personality, and he does a pretty good job at it. They even did an acoustic cover of Demon Of The Fall, which even though it sounds kinda corny was actually pretty badass.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
27.08.2013 - 20:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Auntie Sahar on 27.08.2013 at 19:58
They even did an acoustic cover of Demon Of The Fall, which even though it sounds kinda corny was actually pretty badass.

I saw a video of that cover. It's pretty awesome. I agree about the whole balance thing. But somehow it wouldn't surprise me because it's not rare at all that bands at Roadburn pull stuff like "playing x album in its entirety".
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.08.2013 - 20:30
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
So in short, don't go friday.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.08.2013 - 20:32
Mattybu

Their most recent tour wasn't so much focused on Heritage. Their 2012 circuit with Mastodon is where they got into the really boring setlists, other than sprinklings of good non-heritage songs. However it wouldn't surprise me if the Opeth set ups the Heritage factor as this event, because it doesn't sound like anything very extreme is going to get picked. Even at their most "extreme" Opeth really isn't extreme, so...

I don't know if its just me, but I find it a little weird worshiping a musician to the point of letting them organize the whole set list, to me another example of people going disproportionately crazy over Opeth.
27.08.2013 - 20:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Boxcar Willy on 27.08.2013 at 20:30

So in short, don't go friday.

why not, if you have a ticket you also will have paid for the Friday Remember it is not possible to buy tickets for loose days. It's either a 3-day toicket, 4-day ticket or just a ticket for the Afterburner on Sunday
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.08.2013 - 20:39
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.08.2013 at 20:36

why not, if you have a ticket you also will have paid for the Friday Remember it is not possible to buy tickets for loose days. It's either a 3-day toicket, 4-day ticket or just a ticket for the Afterburner on Sunday

I know, i was just being a dickhead. Hopefully some cool psych bands will be there, or maybe some cool trad doom.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.08.2013 - 20:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Mattybu on 27.08.2013 at 20:32

Their most recent tour wasn't so much focused on Heritage. Their 2012 circuit with Mastodon is where they got into the really boring setlists, other than sprinklings of good non-heritage songs. However it wouldn't surprise me if the Opeth set ups the Heritage factor as this event, because it doesn't sound like anything very extreme is going to get picked. Even at their most "extreme" Opeth really isn't extreme, so...

I don't know if its just me, but I find it a little weird worshiping a musician to the point of letting them organize the whole set list, to me another example of people going disproportionately crazy over Opeth.

Roadburn has had a curator for a couple of years now. Tom G Warrior curated a couple of years ago. Last year Jus Oborn of Electric Wizard curated. Neurosis curated, VoiVod curated. And to be honest Akerfeldt's taste in music does fit into the Roadburn vision of the festival. This has nothing to do with Opeth worship.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.08.2013 - 20:44
Mattybu

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.08.2013 at 20:40

Roadburn has had a curator for a couple of years now. Tom G Warrior curated a couple of years ago. Last year Jus Oborn of Electric Wizard curated. Neurosis curated, VoiVod curated. And to be honest Akerfeldt's taste in music does fit into the Roadburn vision of the festival. This has nothing to do with Opeth worship.

Ah. I've never heard of that before and didn't know anything about the festival, so that makes more sense. Thank you for the clarification I would still contend that his day will probably not be overly exciting.
27.08.2013 - 20:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Mattybu on 27.08.2013 at 20:44

I would still contend that his day will probably not be overly exciting.

too true. So, that will be a day of hanging at the bar and socializing for me and not seeing too many bands. Okay Tyranny will be playing the Firday, so, will certainly catch them.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.08.2013 - 21:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Boxcar Willy on 27.08.2013 at 20:39

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.08.2013 at 20:36

I know, i was just being a dickhead. Hopefully some cool psych bands will be there, or maybe some cool trad doom.

In any case, after the first day... Assuming you stand up and walk all day. It's nice to just sit back, drink and relax one day. If it proves to be too boring I'm just gonna calmly go around. Visit the merch place a lot of times too. xP

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.08.2013 at 20:47
So, that will be a day of hanging at the bar and socializing for me and not seeing too many bands.

The poor old man should sit that day so his knee doesn't get fucked up on the last day like previous years! Of course, you can do anything else too. xD
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.08.2013 - 23:18
Erik M.

Despite the fact that I live in Tilburg, I probably won't go seeing as I'm not familiar enough with the underground metal bands... on the other hand, I'd still have time to check 'em out, so who knows...
27.08.2013 - 23:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Erik M. on 27.08.2013 at 23:18

Despite the fact that I live in Tilburg, I probably won't go seeing as I'm not familiar enough with the underground metal bands... on the other hand, I'd still have time to check 'em out, so who knows...

By the time the tickets go on sale a good portion of the bands will be already revealed so you can have an idea. I think it's damn worth it anyways and right now I barely know 5 or so bands. xD
The experience itself is great. It's a different festival.
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.08.2013 - 06:48
Slayerus23
Account deleted
As being a fan of what Roadburn sounds, I might say this is a terrible step for me. Mikael himself doesn't seem to pick any band or soundscapes of what I should like.
28.08.2013 - 09:47
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.08.2013 at 23:40

By the time the tickets go on sale a good portion of the bands will be already revealed so you can have an idea. I think it's damn worth it anyways and right now I barely know 5 or so bands. xD
The experience itself is great. It's a different festival.

Me neither, I barely know any of those bands apart from a few, who I've just heard off and not actually given a spin.
I'm wondering if next years will be exciting for me. I'm usually quite excited by the initial announcements, but this year, not so much. I definitely have to come to Roadburn sometime though, I've always figured it'd be a festival that I would totally enjoy. Even better would be to play that stage
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
28.08.2013 - 10:22
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
There is not a jerkoff motion in my soul appropriate enough to express my indifference toward Akerfeld's curatorship. When I hear the word "curator", I assume the person holding this title is a pretentious douche...
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
28.08.2013 - 10:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by LeChron James on 28.08.2013 at 10:22

When I hear the word "curator", I assume the person holding this title is a pretentious douche...

So, someone who is in charge of a zoo, museum or any other place of exhibit is a pretentious douche?
SO, according to you the organizers of any metal festival are pretentious douchebags

Like I said the Roadburn organizers invite someone each year to fill in one day according to the taste of the invited person as long as it doesn't clash with Roadburn's vision.
Saying that a curator of a music festival or zoo or museum is a pretentious douch is like saying a DJ who spins music at a metal festival in between bands is a pretentious douche.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.08.2013 - 11:21
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.08.2013 at 10:53

So, someone who is in charge of a zoo, museum or any other place of exhibit is a pretentious douche?
SO, according to you the organizers of any metal festival are pretentious douchebags

Like I said the Roadburn organizers invite someone each year to fill in one day according to the taste of the invited person as long as it doesn't clash with Roadburn's vision.
Saying that a curator of a music festival or zoo or museum is a pretentious douch is like saying a DJ who spins music at a metal festival in between bands is a pretentious douche.

Yes, anyone that is in charge of a zoo, museum or any other place of exhibit is an unbelievably massive asshole.

Yes, I think that organizers of both metal and hip-hop festivals that I frequent are unbelievably massive assholes

And yes, I think that fillers sucks in any context. Don't you?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
28.08.2013 - 11:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I fail to see any reason why they are assholes just because they are making the festival happen.

Oh well... Apparently you are an asshole for wanting to have some sort of theme for your festival every year.
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.08.2013 - 13:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by LeChron James on 28.08.2013 at 11:21

And yes, I think that fillers sucks in any context. Don't you?

Nope, the song 'Paranoid' by Black Sabbath was a filler and totally doesn't suck
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 3588 | This month: 3