11. Last Of The Living Dead
12. Amen & Attack [orchestral version] [limited edition bonus]
13. Coleus Sanctus [orchestral version] [limited edition bonus]
14. Kreuzfeuer [orchestral version] [limited edition bonus]
15. Cardinal Sin [orchestral version] [limited edition bonus]

"We are the dark of the night
We are the sermon of fight
We bring the nightside, sacred & wild!"

Beware, the wolves are striking again! And they're doing it with sharpened fangs, piercing claws, bloody red eyes.

The first thing to notice about the fifth Powerwolf journey into their sick world is how this is shockingly similar to the previous ones in many aspects: the album title - Bible Of The Beast, Blood Of The Saints and Preachers Of The Night - the cover artwork - both this and the 2011 release portray wolves in clerical clothes - and the album structure itself, being all the last albums made of ten/eleven tracks with the closer as slow and majestic ending.

This external matching also brings, as was probably predictable, many similarities in the music: the guys are proud of the style they crafted, and have no interest in changing or evolving it. Preachers Of The Night contains every classic characteristic of the Powerwolf style, their light-heartedness hidden behind mighty hammonds, the goliardery in Attila's deep voice, their ability in writing lyrics mixing casually religion, obscurity, sex and wolfish swag.

It is by no means easy to find something to distinguish this album from its predecessors, but with some attentive listens it is curious how much the band is improving their use of Latin, being only three the tracks in which that noble language doesn't play its role. Moreover, the change of label is absolutely appreciable: Napalm Records provides indeed an amazing production, bringing Powerwolf music to a more grandiose level, having a hand in making Preachers Of The Night probably their career top so far.

The album is a collection of the German fivesome's strong points, it also has the not so common power of allowing the listener to whistle the song tune already from the opening riff: every track here is a wonderful sing-along anthem. Attending a Powerwolf live performance is now on my list of things to do before I die.

If this album was to be judged singly, separately from the aforementioned releases, it would have surely received an higher rating, being solid, well done and easy-listening. But originality has its weight, and here the band lacks. But this is no news.

Anyway, let's praise the Lord that, in this dark days of uncertainty, bands like this still exist. Bands to count on, bands which don't take themselves too seriously, bands who have fun in providing fun.

Wolves are in town, ladies. Lock the doors.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 4
Production: 10

Written on 30.08.2013 by Hopefully you won't agree with me, diversity of opinions is what makes metal so beautiful and varied.

So... critics and advices absolutely welcome.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 241 users
31.08.2013 - 01:29
Mattybu

Awesome review man, sounds good to me. Originality aside it is always nice to listen to bands that just know what they're doing.
31.08.2013 - 21:41
Rating: 8
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Perfect review!

I can echo everything you said, though I would give it just a bit higher rating but a 7.8 is very understandable.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
02.09.2013 - 19:35
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
"Wolfish swag"?
02.09.2013 - 20:06
R Lewis

Written by Azarath on 02.09.2013 at 19:35

"Wolfish swag"?

It's an expression introduced by William Wordsworth.
At least, that's what they told me.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
06.09.2013 - 23:20
Sir Thrashalot

Excellent review. A 7.8 rating considering the not so evolving style is justifiable, but I keep enjoying Powerwolf as much as the previous albums because of that consistency.

Again great review, I thought for a second that you could read my mind lol
08.09.2013 - 04:56
Pipyui

I don't know - everybody insists that Powerwolf hasn't changed their tune, but I never really liked them before Preachers of the Night. And going back, I still don't care for their other albums. This one however, is absolutely awesome.
01.11.2013 - 11:09
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Amen & Attack!
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
06.11.2013 - 20:06
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Powerwolf is alright, but their lyrics are an insult to intelligence...
06.11.2013 - 20:19
R Lewis

Written by Valentin B on 06.11.2013 at 20:06

That's exactly one of the reasons why I love them
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
07.04.2016 - 18:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valentin B on 06.11.2013 at 20:06

Is it bad? Well I say its more humor story, and parody, and shows true side of its dark side...but like I said if it would be 80's MTV band stripper whore would like to chicj chat in the senate house about lyric concept, now seems ppl don't know this band, and answering, does band is st. annists and do such rituals, answer is no
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 15509 | This month: 14