Metal Storm logo
Standard tuning, recommend me some bands!

03.09.2013 - 01:41
ryou5138

Hey guys. I just put new strings on my guitar and tuned to standard for the first time in many many years. Most of the stuff on my Ipod are bands that tune to D or C so I am looking for some good melodic bands that tune standard so I can play along to it.

So far, all I have come up with is Gates of Ishtars first cd and Skeletonwitch.

Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
03.09.2013 - 14:50
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
I'm wondering if that many metal bands use standard E tuning. Anyways, I'm no help here, but I think HoF's 10,000 years is on E
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
03.09.2013 - 15:21
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Enisferum,Metallica,Iron Maiden,Megadeth,and some Pantera's songs too
----
The Fangirl.
03.09.2013 - 15:25
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by angel. on 03.09.2013 at 15:21

Are those standard tuning on a mothers vagina ?
----

Last fm
Don't click here
03.09.2013 - 15:29
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Spirit Molecule on 03.09.2013 at 15:25

Written by angel. on 03.09.2013 at 15:21

Are those standard tuning on a mothers vagina ?

yes sure ! so why you didn't know that, you should go back to your homework,be more hardworking.
----
The Fangirl.
03.09.2013 - 15:33
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by angel. on 03.09.2013 at 15:29

yes sure ! so why you didn't know that, you should go back to your homework,be more hardworking.

Seems like I've failed as a musician Well I don't really consider myself that much of a musician anyway.
I need to get back to the vag and start practicing now, I am pretty good at finger picking
----

Last fm
Don't click here
03.09.2013 - 15:38
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Spirit Molecule on 03.09.2013 at 15:33

Written by angel. on 03.09.2013 at 15:29

Seems like I've failed as a musician Well I don't really consider myself that much of a musician anyway.
I need to get back to the vag and start practicing now, I am pretty good at finger picking

yes boy, that's a good start but don't rely much on your fingers alone, it needs hard work and time, soon you'll get more experienced,keep practicing and always follow tips by pros on it,good luck.
----
The Fangirl.
03.09.2013 - 22:36
ANGEL REAPER

And why do you need to be in same tuning to play the same tones again?
also this thread should be in Musicians Corner.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
07.09.2013 - 09:41
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 03.09.2013 at 22:36

what do you mean by that exactly ?
----
The Fangirl.
07.09.2013 - 12:02
ANGEL REAPER

Written by angel. on 07.09.2013 at 09:41

if you want to play a long some song you dont need to be in same tuning as instruments in that song.You just need to hit that same tones or tones that are equally higher or lower than original notes.Trust me as long you are playing notes that are "shifted " for no more than half of octave you would not hear the difference when you play along (if you play solos part or melody leads than you dont need to worry about the tuning - you can play that on any tuning just as same).
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
12.09.2013 - 03:54
Mattybu

Hopefully I don't come off like too much of a douchebag saying this, but you can't just pick a song you want to jam and then tune your guitar? There's tons of stuff out there in E and half step down kind of thing so to me picking songs would be the priority as opposed to limiting it down to one tuning. If you have a guitar tuner it literally takes like a few seconds to tune your guitar differently. I guess the only thing would be if you switched your strings around, but if I liked playing along with stuff in C and D a lot I would probably buy/keep proper strings for it.
17.09.2013 - 08:16
whatsacow

Most of Opeth's music is in standard. As is metallica's pre-St Anger Days.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
17.09.2013 - 13:37
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 07.09.2013 at 12:02

if you want to play a long some song you dont need to be in same tuning as instruments in that song.You just need to hit that same tones or tones that are equally higher or lower than original notes.Trust me as long you are playing notes that are "shifted " for no more than half of octave you would not hear the difference when you play along (if you play solos part or melody leads than you dont need to worry about the tuning - you can play that on any tuning just as same).

Well technically you would if you want to play it as they do. A lot of riffs might be harder to play if you just hit the same notes but on a different tuning, so it is better to just play it the same tuning as the artist, or the same way as they would, but just transposed on your tuning.
----

Last fm
Don't click here
18.09.2013 - 10:18
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Spirit Molecule on 17.09.2013 at 13:37

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 07.09.2013 at 12:02

Well technically you would if you want to play it as they do. A lot of riffs might be harder to play if you just hit the same notes but on a different tuning, so it is better to just play it the same tuning as the artist, or the same way as they would, but just transposed on your tuning.

well it is sometimes harder i agree .however if you just play along a half tone to 2 tones offset is not a big deal .Hell i never re-tuned my guitar from standard E when i play along songs from bands who use half tone or full tone lower tuning.
----
18.09.2013 - 16:02
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 18.09.2013 at 10:18

well it is sometimes harder i agree .however if you just play along a half tone to 2 tones offset is not a big deal .Hell i never re-tuned my guitar from standard E when i play along songs from bands who use half tone or full tone lower tuning.

I guess if it's riff based without too many open notes? I don't know, I guess it's hard to explain online
----

Last fm
Don't click here
18.09.2013 - 19:53
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Spirit Molecule on 18.09.2013 at 16:02

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 18.09.2013 at 10:18

I guess if it's riff based without too many open notes? I don't know, I guess it's hard to explain online

yeah riff based rhythms and/or plain lead semi-solo melody ...also i avoid open notes when they interfere too much with my rhythms so i guess i never exactly played along but i actually covered songs on the fly.
----
21.09.2013 - 01:28
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
Sylosis Play in standard tuning.
24.01.2014 - 15:31
Góral
Combo Breaker
If you prefer thrash/heavy acts - early Megadeth, Testament (older stuff), Iron Maiden (always), the first two Black Sabbath albums, Dio, Anthrax, Annihilator, a lot of Pantera, Exodus, and many other thrash bands. To this, some of Dream Theater (Octavarium, Sacrificed Sons, Answer Lies Within). Queensrÿche, Fates Warning, Lost Horizon play in standard as well. You can also try with The Dillinger Escape Plan. And of course, a lot of black metal bands (Burzum - 'Lost Wisdom' kick ass )