Metal Storm logo
God Forbid

Original post

Posted by Arian Totalis, 31.12.2006 - 05:56
This thread is for the discussion of Metalcore/Melodic Thrash band God forbid. Talk about older vs newer albums, changes in their sound, changes in their lineup, etc. Anything God Forbid goes. Let your opinions be known.
06.12.2008 - 02:34
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Dallas Croyle -

"I have a theory about why people don't drink GOD FORBID Haterade. Let's look at the careers of the most recent hated bands: TRIVIUM, AVENGED SEVENFOLD, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE are just a couple of examples. These bands have great careers, but they have strong Haterade brands. I'm sure their myspace messages are divided up into fan mail and hate mail. We've received hate mail and it's pretty fucking great. But not as widespread as I really want and need it to be. These bands catch hate for a vast amount of reasons, but mostly I think it's because they have images not because of their music. I think it's because people can't stand that people like them. I also think it's because they are white! It's very normal and OK in our society to hate white people. I don't hate white people but it's real easy to hate a successful white person."

HAHAHHAHAHAHAH I hate this band.
08.12.2008 - 07:03
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Dangerboner on 06.12.2008 at 02:34

HAHAHHAHAHAHAH I hate this band.

Why?

Also, it's Dallas Coyle, not Croyle.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
08.12.2008 - 07:10
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Should I start correcting your spelling/grammar? I could do that with almost every post.

I don't like this band just because of how retarded that statement is, but for many reasons. I read a direct quote from Dallas Coyle on his "Metal Sucks" site saying that they are writing their upcoming music with the intent to make money, trying to appeal to as many people as possible. They're just another record label band trying to make money! I saw them live in 2003 before I had even heard their name and without any bias whatsoever, and I could barely stand listening to them. Hell, the guitarist even admitted on MTV's Headbanger's Ball that he stole a few Dimebag riffs! They're just one step above Trivium.
08.12.2008 - 12:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I kinda like God Forbid's brand of thrash but WTF? How can I take Dallas seriously when he apparently has no idea what a Metallibasher is...

No IT IS NOT someone that bashes Metallica. The Metallibashers were a group of DIE HARD Metallica fans who'd act6ually bash anything in sight just to defend Metallica and support them.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.12.2008 - 05:52
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
God Forbid this band who are just fucking boring and generic. I love african-americans in the metal scene but that title just goes to Suffocation, ten times more badass than these dudes.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
09.12.2008 - 15:53
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Visioneerie on 09.12.2008 at 05:52

God Forbid this band who are just fucking boring and generic. I love african-americans in the metal scene but that title just goes to Suffocation, ten times more badass than these dudes.

I know that the term "Boring" is subjective but I'd like it if you told me how they're generic.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

14.12.2008 - 04:48
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I really dont care about this band or this particulary style.. but i have tried to listen the first album of God Forbid ''Reject The Sickness'' and i simply hated, even being slightly different from others metalcore bands, that sound was just noise to me.
But then i listen to ''Constitution of treason'' and have come to see this band in a different way, that album was focused on the elements of metalcore that i enjoy most: the catchy riffs and the clean vocals, with a greater guidance to nu-metal (just to be clear, im NOT saying God Forbid is nu-metal). That's why i felt musically attached to ''Constitution..'' and ''Gone Forever'' most...
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
15.12.2008 - 01:44
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Uirapuru on 14.12.2008 at 04:48

I really dont care about this band or this particulary style.. but i have tried to listen the first album of God Forbid ''Reject The Sickness'' and i simply hated, even being slightly different from others metalcore bands, that sound was just noise to me.
But then i listen to ''Constitution of treason'' and have come to see this band in a different way, that album was focused on the elements of metalcore that i enjoy most: the catchy riffs and the clean vocals, with a greater guidance to nu-metal (just to be clear, im NOT saying God Forbid is nu-metal). That's why i felt musically attached to ''Constitution..'' and ''Gone Forever'' most...

Yeah, they're definitly one of those bands who have progressed in their sound from album to album. I even like their old shit, sounds less like metalcore than they do today imo. They actually sound like a crossover thrash band. It's some brutal shit (of course not in the sense of DM brootal, but like, just in your face and agresseive.)

What I was wondering though, is why you thing COT has Nu metal influence
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

15.12.2008 - 02:14
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Arian Totalis on 15.12.2008 at 01:44

''Influence'' sounds like a strong word in this situation, its just that some elements carachteristics of nu-metal are present in this album..
i see some metalcore bands very close to nu-metal (Atreyu, Killswitch Engage, etc), since they are brutal somehow, but have a well defined structure that includes an agressive song with melodic chorus and clean vocals.. God Forbid is not like that, their sound structure is more complex, but they still have the clean vocals and the riffs are catchier on COT.
I personally prefer the GF of Constitution of treason, the melodic elements makes their music much more interesting.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
15.12.2008 - 03:44
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Uirapuru on 15.12.2008 at 02:14

Written by Arian Totalis on 15.12.2008 at 01:44

''Influence'' sounds like a strong word in this situation, its just that some elements carachteristics of nu-metal are present in this album..
i see some metalcore bands very close to nu-metal (Atreyu, Killswitch Engage, etc), since they are brutal somehow, but have a well defined structure that includes an agressive song with melodic chorus and clean vocals.. God Forbid is not like that, their sound structure is more complex, but they still have the clean vocals and the riffs are catchier on COT.
I personally prefer the GF of Constitution of treason, the melodic elements makes their music much more interesting.

I dunno if I prefer COT or Gone Forever. You're right, the guitar harmonies are much more prominent on COT, but Gone Forever is just an amazing albums. Both of them are very progressive albums, but the title track to COF imo really sucks. It just drags on and on and I don't know how someone could just play that same damn chord over and over again....
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

27.01.2010 - 18:08
Sulac

God Forbid's in my top 20 bands. I've been listening a lot to IV: COT and Earthsblood, the latter of which contains my current 3rd fav song, Empire of the Gun. These guys are pretty awesome.
28.01.2010 - 13:14
I_Die_Often

I find their last two releases pretty boring...
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
09.02.2010 - 03:33
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by I_Die_Often on 28.01.2010 at 13:14

Yeah Earth's blood does suck pretty hard. I didn't give it much of a chance, tbh, but that album is just so not god forbid. I actually don't blame Dallas for quitting. They really fucked their fans on this one, and it's not like it even helped with a comercial angle. So if that was the plan then selling out also blew up in their faces. I just wish they would go back their 'gone forever' days. I really miss it.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

10.02.2010 - 13:51
I_Die_Often

Written by Arian Totalis on 09.02.2010 at 03:33

Yeah Earth's blood does suck pretty hard. I didn't give it much of a chance, tbh, but that album is just so not god forbid. I actually don't blame Dallas for quitting. They really fucked their fans on this one, and it's not like it even helped with a comercial angle. So if that was the plan then selling out also blew up in their faces. I just wish they would go back their 'gone forever' days. I really miss it.

Centry Media (or whoever it was) sure hyped the release... AND I FELL FOR IT!!!!!!!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
10.02.2010 - 21:19
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by I_Die_Often on 10.02.2010 at 13:51

Written by Arian Totalis on 09.02.2010 at 03:33

Centry Media (or whoever it was) sure hyped the release... AND I FELL FOR IT!!!!!!!

Yeah, it was century media, a once respectable label. If there wasn't such a thing as youtube and myspace for me to check songs out on, I would have fallen for it too. Luckily, I was able to save my money from the clutches of that evil trap XD
----
-Kakita Toshimoko