Metal Storm logo
Need some recommendations

Original post

Posted by Bitter Dawn, 31.12.2006 - 09:18
It feels like I've been out of the metal loop (such as it is?) for a while now, I've been predominantly listening to industrial and goth for nearly two years now, and have only had maybe 20 or so metal cd's with me since I've moved to the US. I'm not ignorant to metal, but I forget a lot of the cd's I have back "home," and I am good on black metal so I don't need anymore recommendations on that. Death metal can be either really boring or pretty good, I've always been a big cannibal corpse fan since George Fisher, and I enjoy Nile quite a bit, and there's also Opeth too.

So how about some help guys, I'll tell you what I've been listening to the most lately. Pantera's "Reinventingn the Steel" (I never use to really lthink this album was that great, but it's become a new favourite,) and "Far Beyond Driven." Then there's Superjoint Ritual which I understand is more catagorized as "hardcore" but it seems more metal to me, and it's pretty dark, and then I've been listening to the two Down albums a lot - obviously I really dig Anselmos style. I've given the second Devil Driver album a few listens to and it's not bad, I thought I would really hate them. I listened to the latest Lamb Of God album a couple of times but it didn't really grow on me. Aside from that it's just been black metal and industrial music.
03.04.2007 - 23:55
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Written by Remus on 03.04.2007 at 22:55

Almost accurate - you forgot "The Faded Line". "The Faded Line" to lamb of god is like "Down with the sick ness" to Disturbed. It's like "Number of the Beast" to Iron Maiden. It's like "Oops, i didi it again" to Britney Spears!

Haha, yes yes ... The Faded Line ... True ... Great song... But lol, i havent been listening to Lamb Of God for at least two months, weird. It used to be my favourite band before. Ach... Im changing so quickly. Not that i dont like it anymore, no .. Just stopped.
04.04.2007 - 00:15
Remus

Written by Guest on 03.04.2007 at 23:55

Haha, yes yes ... The Faded Line ... True ... Great song... But lol, i havent been listening to Lamb Of God for at least two months, weird. It used to be my favourite band before. Ach... Im changing so quickly. Not that i dont like it anymore, no .. Just stopped.

I never liked Lamb of God. The singer is a real asshole. Just watch their dvd and you'll see why. But music wise they are just metal-core in my book. Different, but definately some metal-core in there. Therefore it gets the thumbs down. Only reason why i listened to them is cause Chris Adler is one innovative drummer.

But back to the topic: I would recommend listening to Insomnium. I just checked them out myself and they are really inspiring. Got to their website for 1 or 2 songs and a video. It should give you an idea of what they are about. Kind of like early In-Flames.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
04.04.2007 - 00:38
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Written by Remus on 04.04.2007 at 00:15

I never liked Lamb of God. The singer is a real asshole. Just watch their dvd and you'll see why. But music wise they are just metal-core in my book. Different, but definately some metal-core in there. Therefore it gets the thumbs down. Only reason why i listened to them is cause Chris Adler is one innovative drummer.

But back to the topic: I would recommend listening to Insomnium. I just checked them out myself and they are really inspiring. Got to their website for 1 or 2 songs and a video. It should give you an idea of what they are about. Kind of like early In-Flames.

I have to admit the singing is typical of Metalcore, that's true... But this didn't seem to annoy me that much. I don't know now. I'll have to listen to it again. But i don't want to. I fear i might be really disappointed. I stopped, just stopped. I wont try again. As I won't listen to Rammstein anymore either.

And about Insomnium... I don't really know if this is what Scarrowed Muse is looking for. Sure they are really good. It's one of my favourite bands. I'd say they have some Folk influences, but that's my opinion, maybe Scarrowed Muse doesn't like that.

I could recommend you some Hacavitz. I just got their Venganza album, released in 2006. And its simply great. I still can't say if its Black, or Black/Death or whatever, but this doesnt count much. They have a quite original sound, and that must be what you are looking for.

Do you have any other specific genres you need recommendations for ?
09.12.2007 - 21:46
RockeRoy

check out "Throwdown -venom and tears" and anything from the norwegian band "Lowdown" i know you would love this bands!!
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
27.01.2016 - 18:22
dghdt11

Hello
I hope I'm not breaking any anti-necro rules here, but this is the most fitting threat title the search found for me.

So I've been listening to Metal for about 6 years, starting in my late teens. Not fanatically, sometimes I don't listen to anything at all for months, but right now I'm having a phase again. I recently got myself an adapter for the cassette slot in my car, and found the need to cook up a good playlist. At 265 songs, 90% of which are metal (the rest is pretty much best of GTA), it sounds like a lot, but I'm very quickly getting lots of repetition. Generally I'm looking for the melodic-ish*, but not terribly cheesy type of music. Nothing that's longer than half of my commute though (I'd make a cut at >8 minutes)

Neither do I want to scare off / have awkward situations with others when not driving alone, nor do I still think I have to get into the "trve" stuff and I do generally prefer melodic over raw - if I like "Mourning Palace" better than "Freezing Moon", so what? Unpopular opinions [~], boohoo

To put things in perspective:
[spoiler]
Heavy
Judas Priest - I must have listened to Painkiller hundreds of times and it's still not getting boring. While they have some crappy releases like Point of Entry, most of Turbo and I don't even like most of British Steel [1], they' did put out lots of great stuff throughout the decades and are probably my favourite band overall. Including both the Ripper era and, for convenience, Rob's solo stuff.
Iron Maiden - I like them but if I listen for too long, I get weary of it. My favourite album of theirs is Powerslave, though I'd maybe like 7th Son better if it didn't have "Can I Play with Madness" :p Not very fond of those two awful 90s albums without Bruce.
Mercyful Fate - King Diamond's weird style of vocals can feel a bit cheesy from time to time and the constant blunt Satanist lyrics kind of bore me, yet I do really like Mercyful Fate, because of the vocals. Don't really have a favourite album.
Black Sabbath - Never really got into them [3], though I like both Ozzy's and Dio's solo stuff. Heaven and Hell is great though.
Wasp - I only know Crimson Idol, but that's one great album.
Disturbed [3] - their style can get kind of repetitive fairly quickly, but I listen to them sometimes. Favourite album would be Indestructible.
Manowar - "but not terribly cheesy type of music." Haha. I like their sound though.
Dio / Rainbow - I'll put these as one. Like with Maiden, it does get tedious to me when listened too much, but I do like Dio. Favourite album is probably Rainbow Rising.

Thrash
Metallica - They're really great on Ride the Lightning. I only listened to Reload and St. Anger recently, turns out these albums actually are really bad. Haven't listened to Death Magnetic yet.
Megadeth - my fave of the big 4, despite Dave being such a wacko. Rust In Peace, Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia are all amazing. Haven't listened to much of the 2000s stuff yet though (except Public Enemy, which is good)
Slayer - I ... don't actually like Slayer that much. [4] I used to like South of Heaven, but right now... eh.
Kreator - I like Endorama [5] and their 2000s stuff, particularly Enemy of God. As a German and a pronunciation perfectionist, I have a problem with Mille's accent though.
Sodom - See Kreator for the accent thing and Slayer more in general. [6]
Tankard - Their beer gimmick got boring to me quickly. [7] Alestorm does the drinking thing better.

Power/Symphonic
Epica - I have a friend who is obsessed with them... It's too bombastic to listen to constantly listen to for me, but Divine Conspiracy is very good. Just too bombastic.
Nightwish - I like them better than Epica, particularly the Tarja era... though my favourite songs would be "Ghost River" and "7 Days to the Wolves" which both came out when they had Annette. [8]
Blind Guardian - It gets cheesy but they have some pretty good songs, particularly on Night at the Opera and later. Hansi's accent also got less noticeable over time.
Alestorm - Ah, yes... The one band where I can actually not only forgive but approve of all the cheese Though they sound best on songs with passages deviating from their standard formula like Death Throes and Cartagena.
Sabaton - I only know Carolus Rex, but it's quite excellent...

Melodeath
Dark Tranquillity - Band my friend introduced me to metal with in the day. And still, Fiction is one of those albums I find nearly perfect, nut everything since Damage Done is very good.
In Flames - I actually only started listening to them recently, but oh boy, Clayman definitely is up there with Painkiller and Fiction. While I do like Whoracle and Colony, I prefer their newer sound on Playground over that of Jester Race. [9] Haven't listened to the other post-Clayman albums yet.
Kalmah - Swampy goodness They don't really have one bad album, hard to pick a favourite - perhaps They Will Return.
Wintersun - I particularly like their fast songs like Winter Madness or Battle Against Time.
Insomnium - I listened to their discography and generally liked the sound... but didn't find anything really memorable. [10]
Children of Bodom - Listened up to Are You Dead Yet, Follow The Reaper being their strongest. They're really good at making covers, though.
Amon Amarth - If anything comes close to the times I've listened to Painkiller, it might be Twilight of the Thundergod. Though AA does have that repetitiveness problem...

Black
Dimmu Borgir - Their peak was probably Goddess Savage Garden, sound-wise. DCA and ISD have some great songs like Vredesbyrd, but lots of bland filler. Constant rambling about Satan can get on my nerves though.
Mayhem - As I already said, I don't really like them. I listened to De Mysteriis dom Sathanas out of duty, and while Attila's voice is absolutely haunting (especially on Pagan Fears), I still didn't find the album that interesting overall. [11] In a similar vein, I couldn't really get into other rawer bands like Leviathan, Xasthur... [12]
Immortal - was sad to read they broke up again recently as they made both great music videos as well as Sons of Northern Darkness... Also like Abbath's solo stuff on I / Between Two Worlds.
Limbonic Art - I love In Abhorrence Dementia. Not sure if Limbonic Art does well in a car playlist though, as most of their best stuff is kind of lengthy.
Anorexia Nervosa - The guy's vocals on Redemption Process! They also got me into Priest through their Metal Meltdown cover
Carach Angren - possibly the best Symphonic BM I've come upon so far. Lammendam would be the favourite, but DCTAPS is close.
Forest Stream - that Atmosphere on Crown of Winter...
Einherjer - Crimson Rain! I doN't know much else to say here, but I really like that particular song. Blot is probably the better album though.
Kovenant - I only ever heard Nexus Polaris, but those Synths!
Emperor - Got really good at Anthems, magnum opus being Prometheus though.
Dissection - Sounds decent on Reinkaos, but still kind of meh. [13]

Death
Behemoth - The early BM stuff was okay, I don't like Thelema 6 or Zos Kia Cultus at all, but they have been really good since Demigod.
Death - last two albums.
Vader - Only know Necropolis. It's good, but I have to be in the mood for it, otherwise (=usually) I can't listen to it.
Cannibal Corpse - I never liked brutal death, using this as the most famous example. [14] Gore lyrics in general never really appealed to me (for the "Satan" type, it at least took overexposure for me to hate them)
Necrophagist - Listened to one album, found it pretty boring. I think that opinion is fairly widespread for the TechDeath genre though.

Other
Muse - not usually classified as Metal, but close enough and I really like them.
Rammstein - Lyrically many of their songs get on my nerves, but there's some great tracks where it doesn't apply on Reise or Rosenrot.
Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is an absolutely splendid album, though I'm not much of a Doom guy (I also got to it through an Anorexia Nervosa cover, this time of Solitude :p ). Don't know any of their later stuff.
Electric Wizard - I listened to the praised Dopethrone twice, once and then once more several years later... didn't like it either time. [15]
Moonspell - I don't think I've ever listened to another Gothic Metal band, but I do like this one.
[/spoiler]

That's at least 15 reasons to strangle me right after the first post D:

As you see, the most diversity here (or the lowest lack thereof) would be under Black, mostly the more symphonic kind... but in the car, I'd rather have more Heavy and Melodeath... Power and Thrash being more mixed bags for me - sometimes I like, sometimes I don't. Any recommendations on where to start adding things?

Edit: That turned out more text than expected... spoilered. Edit2: and that didn't work. Then not, I suppose.
28.01.2016 - 03:41
Spirit of dead

I find best car listening stuff is a bit more rock or groove orientated and preferably with lots of massive riffs and sing a long qualities.

Here's the kind of stuff I like to crank in the car. It's not necessarily my favourite stuff or even my favourite albums by these bands.

Just a small list really.

AC/DC - where do you start? Classics are of course the best car tunes.

Accept - last 3 albums work well in the car. Out of their 1980s stuff I think Balls To The Wall and Metal Heart are great in the car.

Alice In Chains - Dirt and Facelift are great in the car.

Anthrax - Sound of White Noise. It's catchy, riffy and has some great singalong stuff.

Black Sabbath - both early Ozzy and the first two Dio albums are great car albums.

Blaze Bayley - SIllicon Messiah would be a great choice here.

Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal - One of the few DM albums I find great in the car.

Bruce Dickinson - Chemical Wedding and especially Accident of Birth.

Corrosion of Conformity - Deliverance and Into The Arms of God are both great car albums. They're both well written and diverse with a heavy crunch yet with rock n roll sensibilities.

Danzig - I and II are absolute winners in the car.

Devildriver - groove metal rocks in the car. I'd recommend The Last Kind Words or Fury Of Our Maker's Hand

Entombed/Entombed A.D. - As much as I love DM it's not great car music especially when it's competing with road noise. However Entombed/Entombed A.D. is one of the few exceptions.

Fear Factory - Obsolete would be my choice here for car tunes. Variety, big riffs and memorability.

Gorefest - especially La Muerte which is catchy DM with memorable tunes and riffs. Heavy as fuck and still has sing along moments even if it's death metal.

High On Fire - most would be good but for car listening par excellence I'd go for Snakes For The Divine cause it's that bit more polished (again that road noise issue).

Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction is the ultimate car CD!

In Flames - Melodeath is another genre that usually sucks in the car but Whoracle and Colony are nice good fun.

Iron Maiden - stick with earlier albums including Paul Di'Anno era.

Lamb of God - generally all good in the car.

Machine Head - first two albums make great, catchy driving tunes.

Megadeth - any generally works if you're a Megadeth fan. CTE and Youthanasia stand out well in car due to catchiness and superb sound quality.

Metallica - Bizarrely I'd go for Load or Black album here as well as Master of Puppets.

Monster Magnet - Again any but I love singing along to Powertrip especially the title track, Space Lord and Bummer.

Motorhead - Any Motorhead is generally good car music but I'd recommend the classics (Overkill, Ace of Spaces, Iron Fist or No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith).

Nevermore - One of the few progressive bands I dig in the car. They have groove, singalong songs and big massive riffs so no surprises really.

Overkill - One of the best thrash bands to play in the car.

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell, Far Beyond Driven and Reinventing The Steel.

Prong - again most of their albums are great car tunes.

Rammstein - like Prong. It's all good car music,

Sacred Reich - American Way is another great car album.

Sepultura/Soulfly/Cavalera Conspiracy - Arise, Chaos A.D. and Inflikted are great car albums. As for Soulfly pick your favourite album and it will work!

Slipknot - one of the few instances where a Best Of is a great choice.

Soundgarden - any really

Suicidal Tendencies - any really but I prefer their mid-1980s- early 1990s stuff for car. Catchy and some phenomenal lead guitar work by Rocky George that'll make you want to take your hands off the steering wheel and air guitar. Not advised of course!

Testament - Low or Dark Roots Of Earth are superb car albums. Big riffs and memorable tunes. Love belting out True American Hate!

Twisted Sister - any but Stay Hungry is another album just made for the car.

W.A.S.P. - most of their earlier stuff.

White Zombie/Rob Zombie - Can't go wrong with Sexorcisto, Astrocreep 2000 or Hellbilly Deluxe.
28.01.2016 - 19:18
dghdt11

Thanks for the lengthy reply, that list will take a while to work on

As for Melodeath usually sucking in the car though, I don't know, I don't plan on taking DT, IF or AA off my playlist anytime soon. Most of the black(/-ish) stuff is really ill-suited for driving though.
28.01.2016 - 23:23
Spirit of dead

Totally agree on black-ish stuff not being really suitable for the car. Most death and grindcore is the same. Road noise just kills it and turns it into a mess.