02. The Empty Temple
03. Molten Uranium
04. A Hole In The Landscape
05. I Have Opened A New Eye
06. A Circle Is A Line In The Dust

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
The deep space stasis is over. Nibiru was reached, the Annunaki hordes have been slain, and Oranssi Pazuzu have returned yet again with Valonielu, the third volume in the saga of their cosmic DMT black metal voyages. Most people consider a band's third album to be the "make it or break it" point, and while Valonielu certainly passes the mark, it also (*gasp!*) feels to be a tad lacking in other areas.

Read more ››
published 04.10.2013 | Comments (26)

Found in 28 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 31   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 430 users
18.09.2013 - 00:11
Rating: 8
Paz
elite
The second single here.
04.10.2013 - 17:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Exselent album, I realy enjoyed it even all is in finish, good music, atmosgfere, ,might be in 2013 TOPS
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.10.2013 - 14:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Not as good as I was expecting (probably because I was basing it on the 'Olen Aukaissut Uuden Silmän'); one of the greatest songs I've ever heard, but it's still a very good album.
10.10.2013 - 16:09
Rating: 9
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Atmospheric and Psychedelic. Their best album and best black metal album of the year.
27.06.2014 - 02:58
Lit.
Account deleted
That last track is freaking out of control.
27.06.2014 - 10:52
angel.
Evil Butterfly
This was one of those awesome albums of 2013 that I found out about it in 2014, I LOVE THE ending track.
----
The Fangirl.
26.04.2015 - 11:31
Dr. Strawberry
Psychedelic black ? sounds stupid indeed. Why don't just call it Avantgarde Metal ?
26.04.2015 - 16:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 26.04.2015 at 11:31

Psychedelic black ? sounds stupid indeed. Why don't just call it Avantgarde Metal ?

Simple answer: Because it's not avantgarde.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
26.04.2015 - 16:45
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 26.04.2015 at 11:31

Because its a mix of black metal and psychedelic rock? Therefore, psychedelic black
26.04.2015 - 18:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
And nothing really avantgarde about what they play.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.04.2015 - 18:44
Zap
It's obviously post death rock.
26.04.2015 - 20:11
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.04.2015 at 18:27

I would say the jazz influences on their debut and sophomore albums definitely warrant an avantgarde tag, however on Valonielu they seem to have completely gone to the side of psych-black, which is a genre of its own (so the classification isn't really relevant anymore). Jazz and black metal are seldom combined, and Muukalainen Puhuu is without a doubt one of the most seamless instances of a merging of these two completely different genres, so I am definitely in the camp that calls early Oranssi Pazuzu "avantgarde". Regardless, no one can deny that OP is pushing the envelope on what we consider black metal.
26.04.2015 - 21:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
I hear more Krau Rock than Jazz on those albums tbh.
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.04.2015 - 22:07
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.04.2015 at 21:59

I hear more Krau Rock than Jazz on those albums tbh.

The chord progressions, scale variances, and general nuances throughout Muukalainen Puhuu are very jazz-typical, however Krautrock has a lot of jazz influence as well, so I guess that makes sense
27.04.2015 - 09:10
Dr. Strawberry
Written by Alex F on 26.04.2015 at 20:11

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.04.2015 at 18:27

I would say the jazz influences on their debut and sophomore albums definitely warrant an avantgarde tag, however on Valonielu they seem to have completely gone to the side of psych-black, which is a genre of its own (so the classification isn't really relevant anymore). Jazz and black metal are seldom combined, and Muukalainen Puhuu is without a doubt one of the most seamless instances of a merging of these two completely different genres, so I am definitely in the camp that calls early Oranssi Pazuzu "avantgarde". Regardless, no one can deny that OP is pushing the envelope on what we consider black metal.

Your analysis on their first 2 albums were correct, so you considered this album is the combination of their last 2 albums ?

Avantgarde music refers to music presented in "a new or divergent dimension". Psychedelic extreme metal is rare in metal scene so that it should be considered Avantgarde.

Not an avantgarde rock so I don't think it's jazzy at all. Ridiculously to name it a black metal as well, I didn't hear anything black here.
27.04.2015 - 14:48
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 27.04.2015 at 09:10

Avantgarde music refers to music presented in "a new or divergent dimension". Psychedelic extreme metal is rare in metal scene so that it should be considered Avantgarde.

Avant-garde actually refers to music that breaks the definition of what the concept of music actually is or should be. Making psychedelic rock, metal does not do this
28.04.2015 - 08:30
Dr. Strawberry
Written by Guest on 27.04.2015 at 14:48

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 27.04.2015 at 09:10

Avant-garde actually refers to music that breaks the definition of what the concept of music actually is or should be. Making psychedelic rock, metal does not do this

"Avant-garde actually refers to music that breaks the definition of what the concept of music actually is or should be"
WOW ! The best definition I have ever heard in my life !!
I guess you're talking about supernatural sounds, not music made by human-beings.
28.04.2015 - 14:48
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 28.04.2015 at 08:30

"Avant-garde actually refers to music that breaks the definition of what the concept of music actually is or should be"
WOW ! The best definition I have ever heard in my life !!
I guess you're talking about supernatural sounds, not music made by human-beings.

Not what I mean at all. Avant-Garde is not so much about the sounds made, but how the sounds are organized. Avant-Garde explored both the regular and the unconventional. Some examples with classical music are below

A metal example would be this:

I do not consider Orannssi avant-garde by simply combining A with B. With that logic, that means that Alcest is an avant-garde band for combining shoegaze rock with black metal.
29.04.2015 - 02:01
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.04.2015 at 15:21

You're wasting your time bro.

I know but I'm bored
29.04.2015 - 07:00
Dr. Strawberry
Written by Guest on 29.04.2015 at 02:01

Written by Guest on 28.04.2015 at 15:21

You're wasting your time bro.

I know but I'm bored

Wow ! Wow ! What ? "Music is not sound". Another classic quote by you, I have to worship you now...
You're not wasting your time actually. You brought new value to avantgarde, it's a good sigh
They says, " Smart people make complicated things become easy, stupid people make easy things become complicated". I really find this quote meaningful now.

Btw, using Alcest as an example was not appropriate as shoegaze is closer to post rock (sometimes slightly heavier). Off topic.
29.04.2015 - 09:42
Zap
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 29.04.2015 at 07:00

Wow ! Wow ! What ? "Music is not sound". Another classic quote by you, I have to worship you now...

Learn to fucking read and stop putting words into other people's mouths, or, eh, fingers. He never said "music is not sound."
Quote:

it's a good sigh

This type of hilariously appropriate spelling errors sometimes makes me think for a split second that you're actually doing this on purpose.
29.04.2015 - 09:53
Dr. Strawberry
Written by Zap on 29.04.2015 at 09:42

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 29.04.2015 at 07:00

Learn to fucking read and stop putting words into other people's mouths, or, eh, fingers. He never said "music is not sound."
Quote:

it's a good sigh

This type of hilariously appropriate spelling errors sometimes makes me think for a split second that you're actually doing this on purpose.

You mean I've got sense of humour ? then it's a really good SIGN.
29.04.2015 - 09:59
Dr. Strawberry
He did say music is not sound.
He said, "Not what I mean at all. Avant-Garde is not so much about the sounds made...."
So, sound doesn't matter in making of Avantgarde music. This is what he meant ! Please accept my second praying
29.04.2015 - 10:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
If you are going to quote someone then quote properly, otherwise you are changing the context. The full quote is:
"Not what I mean at all. Avant-Garde is not so much about the sounds made, but how the sounds are organized."

He never said "Music is not sound".
----
Rod, let me love you.
30.04.2015 - 11:28
Dr. Strawberry
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.04.2015 at 10:35

If you are going to quote someone then quote properly, otherwise you are changing the context. The full quote is:
"Not what I mean at all. Avant-Garde is not so much about the sounds made, but how the sounds are organized."

Do we have to continue with his vague and groundless defination ?
I did explain in the 2nd paragraph, probably he meant "Music is not All About sound".
Sounds are the most important thing in making music, "Not so much about the sounds" instantly made his statement pointless.

Another ridiculous thing which he mentioned was Avantgarde is not a mix of A and B. Of course everybody knows that, nowadays almost 60% of bands are fusion genre which is a mix of A and B, definitely they're not Avantgarde.

But... if A or B either one is a rare style used in metal scene "at this moment" then it could be categorized as Avantgarde.
Such as Stoner Metal could be called Avantgarde in their early developement, afterwards more bands doing aforesaid style and official term was given later. Nirvana - Nevermind, first half is Grunge (there was no official term "Grunge" in those days"), the second half actually is punk/ hardcore. It was a shitty mixed direction album actually. Nobody knew how to name the style of the first half, so they called it Alternative Rock. 2-3 years later, Grunge was named by a magazine editor and the style became official.
30.04.2015 - 12:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 30.04.2015 at 11:28

Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.04.2015 at 10:35

Do we have to continue with his vague and groundless defination ?
I did explain in the 2nd paragraph, probably he meant "Music is not All About sound".
Sounds are the most important thing in making music, "Not so much about the sounds" instantly made his statement pointless.

Then it's clear to me that you did not understand what he meant at all and that you have no clue about avantgarde artists such as John Cage. As he said, It's about how the sounds are organized. But feelf ree to not be able to understand such an easy concept.

What is most annoying is how rude you are to other people. Noticed how I haven't insulted you so far? Yeah, try doing that the next time.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.05.2015 - 16:32
Joe Zombie
Really fucking cool album.
13.05.2015 - 17:54
raveneffect
Oranssi Pazuzu Avantgarde? Obviously it's not.

Clearly, it's Post Death-Rock.
28.02.2017 - 20:53
Mik
Account deleted
Great album to chill out. Their first two are superior though, especially the first.
27.03.2017 - 02:13
Vombatus
Potorro
On my current OP listening spree, I find this one to have the most replays. It sinks in easily and has a load of very memorable moments that don't get lost in a myriade of psychedelic/atmospheric/whatever.

I think all around Kosmonument is still the best, but this one is not far off. Also a bit disappointed that Värähtelijä was the album that got them quite some notoriety when it's the weakest (not bad of course, but a step down).

Hits total: 10623 | This month: 35