Metal Storm logo
What types of Metal do Hard of Hearing people prefer?

19.09.2013 - 20:16
IronArkadius666
Hello All.

This is just a question that has been lingering on my mind for a while. I myself am hard of hearing and have been since birth, and I've noticed that I generally can't stand most black metal, straight or brutal death metal and any -core metal. This is mostly due to not being able to hear anything beyond the loud drums so most of the afore-mentiond genres end up sounding like drum 'n' bass on steroids.

I find I really like simple music, often with simple melodies or riffs and relatively simple percussion, hence my obsession with melodeath and and few Doom sub-genres.

Are there any other hard of hearing members on this site? If so what are your preferred genres of metal and what is your reasoning?

Thanks.
19.09.2013 - 20:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Deaf Metal.

(Sorry)
19.09.2013 - 21:22
J. N.
Account deleted
"...and I've noticed that I generally can't stand most black metal, straight or brutal death metal and any -core metal. This is mostly due to not being able to hear anything beyond the loud drums so most of the afore-mentiond genres end up sounding like drum 'n' bass on steroids." makes no sense whatsoever.
19.09.2013 - 21:45
no one
Account deleted
Deaf tones

baa haa
21.09.2013 - 01:59
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.09.2013 at 20:39

Deaf Metal.

(Sorry)

Written by Guest on 19.09.2013 at 21:45

Deaf tones

baa haa

Now, how about real advice from a fellow hard-of-hearing person?

Truthfully, sound quality isn't really an issue. While I do detest most BM, I don't have a problem with lo-fi production like ones on some grindcore, death or core albums. Turning it up loud doesn't make a difference either. You just need to find a good way to hear it, and by that, you probably need a good set of headphones. If you wear hearing aids like I do, try to find ones that cover up the sound hole without causing the buzz, and if you can't, just monkey around with the volume with your HAs or the position of the headphones.

Additionally, relisten to albums with various conditions. If you downloaded most of the albums you listened to, buy a hard copy. Most DL versions suck. Also, try some albums (including genres you don't care for, and really, being HoH isn't a valid reason for not liking different genres) with different headphones. One that I tried out that seems to work excellent for me are those DNA headphones by Monster.
21.09.2013 - 06:52
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Are you sure it's mostly due to your hearing that you prefer particular styles? I would have thought it would be more of a matter of taste.
21.09.2013 - 08:41
no one
Account deleted
Written by R'Vannith on 21.09.2013 at 06:52

Are you sure it's mostly due to your hearing that you prefer particular styles? I would have thought it would be more of a matter of taste.

Kind of what i was thinking. Everyone hears things differently
17.03.2015 - 23:29
ADIresiduos
I don't know what advice to give you, except to get the proper help for your hearing problem.