02. Refraction
03. Cinders
04. Astrarium
05. Nightwave
06. Ambivalence
07. Immersed
08. Above Us
09. Constellation

I start with saying that Origin as a whole has influences from early Katatonia. However I can't give a precise hint where exactly I hear it in the songs, though there is a whole melancholic atmosphere which reminds of early Katatonia works. Yet it differs so much because Katatonia, back in the day, sounded much more doomier, harsher and of course very original.

Listeners will notice the certain death growling vocals in all the songs except in the instrumental ones and "Cinder ", which only contains clean vocals. There are also some small amounts of whispering vocals and choir sounds in the background in some moments. I certainly can say that both the whispering vocals and the choir sounds add more feeling to the whole atmosphere of the album.

The solos in most songs are much more melodic, rather than being the typical melodic death metal solos, as we have heard before in melodic death metal albums; in this sense this album differs so much from most other melodic death metal. The rhythm guitar sounds are not very harsh, they're just there and well placed with a fair choice of progressions, and they fit very well with the other instruments, same as the vocals. Some songs start off with clean guitars which are just well-based intros for them.

I think the drums were established with more deliberation behind the guitar and bass lines. One such instance is the song "Nighwave", I couldn't imagine such drumming coming after the clean guitars, and the atmospheric sound of the lead guitar transitions the whole song into another harsher phase, which has been repeated exactly before that occurrence.

Origin contains three instrumental songs, the most interesting of which is also the longest, "Constellation". In fact it's interesting in comparison to the other instrumental songs on this album which are more atmospheric, rather than being metal songs. But independently it's an average instrumental song with good atmospheric elements and post rock/metal influences. It has synth lines accompanied with quite heavy rhythm guitars, and repeating melodic guitars with some pretty melodies accompanying it on keyboards.

The lyrics are quite enjoyable and revolve around isolation, inner thoughts and emotions, dreams of getting away, and mixed with a sense of melancholy and remembering the past while trying to revise them. This is just how I perceive them, though I might be wrong.

In the end I should add that Origin owes its success of being one of the top albums in 2013 to having very pretty melodies, touchy atmospheric post metal components, well-established vocals and fair lyrics. Although it may not blow away everyone, especially those who have already heard many different types of doom metal albums previously, this is still a quite enjoyable album. Origin is a throwback to the origins of doomy sounding bands like Katatonia, but with a more modern approach; or as some believe, gothic. It's neither very original, nor very unoriginal, and it's no masterpiece, but the Enshine guys did their job quite acceptably.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written by angel. | 19.09.2013

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 27   Visited by: 173 users
19.09.2013 - 23:27
psykometal
A staff guy...
Good review, Mary. Inspired me to check it out, and I really like it.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

19.09.2013 - 23:29
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by psykometal on 19.09.2013 at 23:27

Good review, Mary. Inspired me to check it out, and I really like it.

ah thanks for reading it ^ ^ It's totally a fair album,don't look down on it,and don't expect much of it either
----
The Fangirl.
20.09.2013 - 00:24
Rating: 10
Justicelust

It IS a masterpiece, I haven't heard anything like it, I rate this album 10/10
20.09.2013 - 01:15
Rating: 9
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
"Above us" song is an awesome song which is ended by an epic solo!
20.09.2013 - 11:05
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Justicelust on 20.09.2013 at 00:24

It IS a masterpiece, I haven't heard anything like it, I rate this album 10/10

well, perhaps it sounds like that to your ears and there are many who have the same opinion
----
The Fangirl.
20.09.2013 - 11:09
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by BloodJuNkie on 20.09.2013 at 01:15

well if by "epic", you're referring to its literal meaning,I firmly disagree, it's a melodic solo,and it's not epic at all but if you mean it sounds great, true, it's really well-placed.
----
The Fangirl.
20.09.2013 - 15:51
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Random thoughts...
- So glad this got reviewed.
- Jari Lindholm is now one of my favorite musicians. I like anything by him or associated with him
- "Cinders" is one of my favorite songs from 2013
- The "harsh" or death growl vocals are by Sebastien Pierre of Fractal Gates, a melodeth band worth checking out
- The production on this album is impeccable
- Nice job Frit!
----
rekt
20.09.2013 - 16:21
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by angel. on 20.09.2013 at 11:09

Written by BloodJuNkie on 20.09.2013 at 01:15

well if by "epic", you're referring to its literal meaning,I firmly disagree, it's a melodic solo,and it's not epic at all but if you mean it sounds great, true, it's really well-placed.

LOL of course i was trying to show how awesome it is, not "Epic" the genre!
20.09.2013 - 16:50
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by tea[m]ster on 20.09.2013 at 15:51

Random thoughts...
- So glad this got reviewed.
- Jari Lindholm is now one of my favorite musicians. I like anything by him or associated with him
- "Cinders" is one of my favorite songs from 2013
- The "harsh" or death growl vocals are by Sebastien Pierre of Fractal Gates, a melodeth band worth checking out
- The production on this album is impeccable
- Nice job Frit!

thanks for reading the review
but I think I missed some points such as : I should have checked out about musicians more and I should have mentioned something about them like saying which of them are contributing with which bands,and well yeah to be honest after rating the album,I was regretting that I rated the production 7, I should have rated the production 8.
----
The Fangirl.
20.09.2013 - 18:11
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by angel. on 20.09.2013 at 16:50

I was regretting that I rated the production 7, I should have rated the production 8.

I would have probably given production a 9. It's very good, clean production.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

20.09.2013 - 18:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by psykometal on 20.09.2013 at 18:11

Written by angel. on 20.09.2013 at 16:50

I was regretting that I rated the production 7, I should have rated the production 8.

I would have probably given production a 9. It's very good, clean production.

I would even give production here a 10 since it is totally perfect for this kind of music.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.09.2013 - 19:38
Rating: 8
CyberSymphony
Ollie
I can see where the early Katatonia influences are coming from in this and I agree, though I feel Origin is more post metal with many melodic death/doom influences. It has some originality, but not very unoriginal.
The review is ok overall,
20.09.2013 - 20:33
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by CyberSymphony on 20.09.2013 at 19:38

It has some originality, but not very unoriginal.
The review is ok overall,

I was trying to say the same thing thank you
----
The Fangirl.
21.09.2013 - 06:35
R'Vannith
ghedengi
I like how anything with Jari Lindholm involved has this particularly atmospheric sound that I know I'm going to enjoy, no matter what stylistic differences there are. The production is crystalline and marvellously well done. I also think your observation about the Katatonia influence is very true, the melodies remind me of them without sounding quite as doomy.
24.09.2013 - 09:59
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Good review.
24.09.2013 - 11:33
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 24.09.2013 at 09:59

Good review.

merci
----
The Fangirl.
24.09.2013 - 11:37
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by R'Vannith on 21.09.2013 at 06:35

I also think your observation about the Katatonia influence is very true, the melodies remind me of them without sounding quite as doomy.

my first impression on this album was like :"hmm,am I listening to a new brand Katatonia?" anyway although it differs so much with Katatonia(for example being very atmospheric) it still has some tunes in common.
----
The Fangirl.
07.12.2013 - 17:52
Jason W.
Razorbliss
After spending several weeks listening to this album on and off, sometimes several times in a row to fully appreciate the mood, I'm happy to say I've found what may be my metal album of the year. The lyrics are superb, the production is outstanding, and the melancholic beauty is exactly what I look for in any kind of music.

I think a mention of last year's release by Atoma would have been perfect to add to the review, as I find this album a great companion to their 2012 release! Within your review, I agree with your words here: "The lyrics are quite enjoyable and revolve around isolation, inner thoughts and emotions, dreams of getting away, and mixed with a sense of melancholy and remembering the past while trying to revise them." Remembering the past and trying to revise the thoughts and perceptions of said past are my favorite subjects in any music, or books for that matter.

There is a sadness in "Cinders" that can bring me to (almost) tears, and leaves me with a melancholic smile.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
08.12.2013 - 10:53
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Jason W. on 07.12.2013 at 17:52

There is a sadness in "Cinders" that can bring me to (almost) tears, and leaves me with a melancholic smile.

Song of the year for me. Ahhh, the crying game. Let's see, off hand I can think of three songs that get me all warm and fuzzy inside:
- Garden Of Light by Isis
- Écailles de Lune - Part 2 by Alcest
- Φ - Phi by Sunpocrisy
----
rekt
10.12.2013 - 17:30
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Jason W. on 07.12.2013 at 17:52

I think a mention of last year's release by Atoma would have been perfect to add to the review, as I find this album a great companion to their 2012 release! Within your review, I agree with your words here: "The lyrics are quite enjoyable and revolve around isolation, inner thoughts and emotions, dreams of getting away, and mixed with a sense of melancholy and remembering the past while trying to revise them." Remembering the past and trying to revise the thoughts and perceptions of said past are my favorite subjects in any music, or books for that matter.

well there could have been a mention of Atoma but you know there is a big difference between these two, as Atoma had some electronic approaches too within the songs.

same for me I am somewhat fond of such themes

"Cinder" , yes it has honest feelings flowing within it.
----
The Fangirl.
10.12.2013 - 18:27
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by tea[m]ster on 20.09.2013 at 15:51

I have similar feelings. I follow his story since Libricum, and it must be said that his progress is fantastic. After what he showed in Slumber, Atoma, Enshine and Seas of Years, I wish hear his solo album.
11.05.2014 - 07:06
Rating: 7
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I'm surprised no-one mentioned "Nightwave" - it's easily the best song on the album.
11.05.2014 - 19:04
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by LeKiwi on 11.05.2014 at 07:06

I'm surprised no-one mentioned "Nightwave" - it's easily the best song on the album.

Yes good song, but the song on this album that has grown on me - I mean big time - is "Refraction". First couple of listens was meh, now it's arguably my favorite song on the album.
----
rekt
11.05.2014 - 20:13
Rating: 7
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by tea[m]ster on 11.05.2014 at 19:04

Yes good song, but the song on this album that has grown on me - I mean big time - is "Refraction". First couple of listens was meh, now it's arguably my favorite song on the album.

21.01.2015 - 16:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good review
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.04.2016 - 21:23
Rating: 8
Jeeers

Wow, discovered this band yesterday. Very good album. And ... "Cinders" ... can't stop listening to this beautiful beautiful track!
09.08.2018 - 16:53
Scarlet

Such an excellent album and it only gets a meager 7 here? Not on par with other reviews from established sites.

Hits total: 4749 | This month: 5