01. Colossus I: Legacy
02. Mercurial
03. Colossus II: Thrashing
04. Decay Practice
05. Colossus III: Deadlock
06. Colossus IV: Null && Void
07. Lost Mnemonics
08. The Unknown Known

One of Finland's finest one-man projects has finally mastered the skills of "transition" in music. Tacit is a rather smooth departure from their earlier hardcore-infused destructive post-rock material, namely The Last Season.

Post-metal, as a genre, is supposedly a new stage for alternative bands to eschew traditional song structures, instead focusing on textures and repeated themes. The reason why I like it is because of the atmosphere it offers but it seems that an ambitious, talented contender intends to break away from some of post-metal's conventions, and make a solid breakthrough musically.

It's obvious that ethereal soundscapes and jazz music aren't really unheard of in modern music. But it takes a genius of Antti Loponen's caliber to transform an otherwise bland and repetitive album into a 48-minute dazzling atmospheric journey.

The album opens with the darkjazz-esque "Colossus I : Legacy" and begins to transcend into this massive riff-based structure, without sounding like a monotonous and worthless piece of music. It doesn't end there though. The last 2 "Colossus" episodes force you to slip into a trance-inducing dream and a dynamic epilogue brings closure to the album. Though the vocals came as a surprise they didn't spoil the ending at all.

The different elements in Tacit aren't mixed impromptu to make it sound "loud". Surely the music may sound reiterative at one point or another, but it's not a boring mess at all. You don't feel as if everything was recorded hastily. The transitions in-between showcase Laponen's skills as a good composer and the overall impression proves that some of his ambitions are flourished thanks to his ingenuity.

All things considered, Tacit's release has set a new age for the band and the scene alike, becoming a difficult album to top as well.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Monolithic | 21.09.2013

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 49 users
21.09.2013 - 09:34
Rating: 7
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Nice review, I heard this one earlier in the year and thought it was pleasant enough but admittedly I mostly forgot about it. With the recent staff pick I had to listen again and I'm glad I did, it's really compelling post metal.
13.10.2013 - 09:48
Rating: 8
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by R'Vannith on 21.09.2013 at 09:34

Nice review, I heard this one earlier in the year and thought it was pleasant enough but admittedly I mostly forgot about it. With the recent staff pick I had to listen again and I'm glad I did, it's really compelling post metal.

Indeed, thanks.
20.05.2015 - 11:03
slim pickings
Account deleted
While my interest in post-rock/post-metal has decreased lately, this is a great album, excellent songwriting, makes me wanna check out their previous works.

Hits total: 4605 | This month: 4