Metal Storm logo
Depressive Black Metal

Original post

Posted by , 20.05.2006 - 06:20
There have been a lot of threads created in the past about this, but hopefully this can become the definitive guide to depressive bm. If you have any depressive bm bands you enjoy, please share them. I'll start by posting a few (I haven't heard all of them, but I plan to quite soon).

Burzum (Nothing more needs to be said, really)

Drudkh: Awesome band from the Ukraine, especially in terms of atmosphere. In terms of dbm, the first album is probably better than the latter ones (I only have Autumn Aurora which is stunning).

Krohm: Havent heard but plan to get 'A World through Dead Eyes' soon. I would like to hear some opinions.

Beatrik: Again, I only plan to get Journey through the End of Life. I would like some opinions.

Veil: Relatively unknown USBM band. I have heard good things about their release 'Dolor' available from Autumn Winds Prod.

I chose not to mention Xasthur, as I hardly find them depressive, just tedious. WAY overhyped due to this whole 'suicidal blackmetal' craze.
If anyone could post info on some Swedish dbm such as Hypothermia, Kyla, Durthang etc that would be excellent.
21.02.2013 - 08:37
no one
Account deleted
Oh fuck i cant do youtube.. it was a wedard clip
04.03.2013 - 21:16
The Turbanator

Depressive BM from California

Their songs are available for free download on their Last.fm page HERE
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
04.03.2013 - 21:28
The Turbanator

Another good Swedish DSBM band is Verdun. You can stream or buy his (one man band) stuff from his Bandcamp page HERE
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
12.03.2013 - 07:10
no one
Account deleted
Sweeeet, cheers guys
19.03.2013 - 05:28
no one
Account deleted
Anyone heard any Abyssic hate ??
19.03.2013 - 08:17
The Turbanator

Written by Guest on 19.03.2013 at 05:28

Yup, awesome "Suicidal Emotions" album. Love it. You might wanna check THIS GUY'S compilations. Really good stuff.
----
19.03.2013 - 09:19
no one
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 19.03.2013 at 08:17

Yup, awesome "Suicidal Emotions" album. Love it. You might wanna check THIS GUY'S compilations. Really good stuff.

Cheers, yeah fucking awesome! I cant believe how many good DSBM bands i'm finding out are from aussie. I have lived there a bit and there is definitely no kind of atmosphere there to be inspired by for that kind of music, and it's pretty hard to be depressed when its sunny every day and the chicks are fucking beautiful....yeah i know there's other things, it just seems strange to me
19.03.2013 - 10:07
The Turbanator

Written by Guest on 19.03.2013 at 09:19

Cheers, yeah fucking awesome! I cant believe how many good DSBM bands i'm finding out are from aussie. I have lived there a bit and there is definitely no kind of atmosphere there to be inspired by for that kind of music, and it's pretty hard to be depressed when its sunny every day and the chicks are fucking beautiful....yeah i know there's other things, it just seems strange to me

There's definitely something in the water down there
----
22.03.2013 - 15:41
sabbath

Hi guys. im writing from MOngolia! Do you know anything about Mongolia? i love metal music. and i want to know more about this genre of music
----
weakness of mankind
22.03.2013 - 23:28
The Turbanator

Written by sabbath on 22.03.2013 at 15:41

Hi guys. im writing from MOngolia! Do you know anything about Mongolia? i love metal music. and i want to know more about this genre of music

Check this thread for the past 5 pages, tonnes of recommendations here.
----
31.03.2013 - 20:37
The Turbanator

Depressive BM from the UK.

You can stream or buy (name your price) the album on their BANDCAMP page.
----
06.04.2013 - 09:23
no one
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 31.03.2013 at 20:37

Depressive BM from the UK.

You can stream or buy (name your price) the album on their BANDCAMP page.

cheers man
25.04.2013 - 06:30
no one
Account deleted

going to sound like a dumbass here, but how do i know who the bands are while listening to this ?
25.04.2013 - 09:53
The Turbanator

Written by Guest on 25.04.2013 at 06:30

going to sound like a dumbass here, but how do i know who the bands are while listening to this ?

Check the description in those YouTube videos. There's a list of the bands in that video.
----
13.05.2013 - 21:42
PoisonTheChild

Personally my favourites are Trist and Lyrinx, both of these bands are really depressing and emulate the aesthetics of the genre flawlessly, Lifelover are another good band but they're not really depressing imo
14.05.2013 - 08:49
no one
Account deleted
Written by PoisonTheChild on 13.05.2013 at 21:42

Personally my favourites are Trist and Lyrinx, both of these bands are really depressing and emulate the aesthetics of the genre flawlessly, Lifelover are another good band but they're not really depressing imo

i like Trist, but Lyrinx ? i have never heard of them, i will have to check them out

Lately i have been listening to and really enjoying , Life is pain - bloody melancholy ,Cheerful Depression, Unjoy - Worthless life end, Make a change...kill yourself - 2, and 'Black Hate - years of solitude'.
Didn't really enjoy Black hate as much but still alright.
14.05.2013 - 12:01
PoisonTheChild

Written by Guest on 14.05.2013 at 08:49

Written by PoisonTheChild on 13.05.2013 at 21:42

i like Trist, but Lyrinx ? i have never heard of them, i will have to check them out

Lately i have been listening to and really enjoying , Life is pain - bloody melancholy ,Cheerful Depression, Unjoy - Worthless life end, Make a change...kill yourself - 2, and 'Black Hate - years of solitude'.
Didn't really enjoy Black hate as much but still alright.

I really recommend listening to Nihilistic Purity by Lyrinx, it's a really depressing E.P and it's got some great guitar work as well, it's really something special
14.05.2013 - 17:02
Aseliot

I really like the new Woods of Desolation album, okay it's now new it just the most recent one. I like every song on it equally which is kinda rare i guess. (Also the case with forgotten tombs songs to leave for example)

----
Anál nathrach,
orth' bháis's bethad,
do chél dénmha
15.05.2013 - 08:33
no one
Account deleted
Written by Aseliot on 14.05.2013 at 17:02

I really like the new Woods of Desolation album, okay it's now new it just the most recent one. I like every song on it equally which is kinda rare i guess. (Also the case with forgotten tombs songs to leave for example)

whats the name of that album? your youtube come up a blank
15.05.2013 - 19:42
Aseliot

Yeah weird, it's Torn Beyond Reason. You should use this site to get some info it has a lot of bands on it http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Woods_of_Desolation/.

EDIT: Oh and now i obviously fixed the youtube thing too.
----
Anál nathrach,
orth' bháis's bethad,
do chél dénmha
15.05.2013 - 21:49
no one
Account deleted
Written by Aseliot on 15.05.2013 at 19:42

Yeah weird, it's Torn Beyond Reason. You should use this site to get some info it has a lot of bands on it http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Woods_of_Desolation/.

EDIT: Oh and now i obviously fixed the youtube thing too.

oh yeah i have that album an it is awesome !
16.05.2013 - 01:51
PoisonTheChild

Written by Aseliot on 14.05.2013 at 17:02

Torn Beyond Reason is some of the most beautiful black metal I've ever listened to, I agree with you on this, I too like all the songs easily, it just hits perfection for me
18.05.2013 - 16:40
Aseliot

ignore the text, that's what i do =p
----
Anál nathrach,
orth' bháis's bethad,
do chél dénmha
18.05.2013 - 22:23
The Turbanator

Written by Aseliot on 18.05.2013 at 16:40

ignore the text, that's what i do =p

Great band, fantastic album. But their latest one is mehhh. I love this one though.
----
18.05.2013 - 22:27
no one
Account deleted
That's one dsbm i'm not a great fan of
18.05.2013 - 22:53
The Turbanator

Written by Guest on 18.05.2013 at 22:27

I wouldn't call it DSBM though. They have a little bit of depressive element in their songs but the rest is just black metal.
----
19.05.2013 - 01:34
Aseliot

Written by The Turbanator on 18.05.2013 at 22:53

I wouldn't call it DSBM though. They have a little bit of depressive element in their songs but the rest is just black metal.

Seriously define the exact musical differences between black metal and depressive black metal, there is none. It's just black metal with depressive themes and lyrics. I think totalselfhatred is better than most of the things posted here, just random guitar riffs with low production value. If you are truy depressed you wont even bother to make music about it.
----
Anál nathrach,
orth' bháis's bethad,
do chél dénmha
19.05.2013 - 08:13
no one
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 18.05.2013 at 22:53

Yeah, who would think so though with a band name like that though ?
I only have there latest album , and yeah the sound was definitely leaning toward the 'standard' black metal side of things. Not really what i was expecting.
21.05.2013 - 09:11
no one
Account deleted
Finally got some of the band 'Hopeless'. I had to pirate it with days and days of waiting for seeds. I don't like to steal music, but fuck it was like impossible to find a cd or even a download of anything of there's.
Anyway seems pretty good so far, very different.
23.05.2013 - 07:47
The Turbanator

Written by Guest on 21.05.2013 at 09:11

Finally got some of the band 'Hopeless'. I had to pirate it with days and days of waiting for seeds. I don't like to steal music, but fuck it was like impossible to find a cd or even a download of anything of there's.
Anyway seems pretty good so far, very different.

Any good? Upload their songs on YouTube so we can hear.
----