Metal Storm logo
Depressive Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 20.05.2006 - 06:20
There have been a lot of threads created in the past about this, but hopefully this can become the definitive guide to depressive bm. If you have any depressive bm bands you enjoy, please share them. I'll start by posting a few (I haven't heard all of them, but I plan to quite soon).

Burzum (Nothing more needs to be said, really)

Drudkh: Awesome band from the Ukraine, especially in terms of atmosphere. In terms of dbm, the first album is probably better than the latter ones (I only have Autumn Aurora which is stunning).

Krohm: Havent heard but plan to get 'A World through Dead Eyes' soon. I would like to hear some opinions.

Beatrik: Again, I only plan to get Journey through the End of Life. I would like some opinions.

Veil: Relatively unknown USBM band. I have heard good things about their release 'Dolor' available from Autumn Winds Prod.

I chose not to mention Xasthur, as I hardly find them depressive, just tedious. WAY overhyped due to this whole 'suicidal blackmetal' craze.
If anyone could post info on some Swedish dbm such as Hypothermia, Kyla, Durthang etc that would be excellent.
09.09.2013 - 18:43
Tarkellyt
I know this isn't technically a DSBM band, but this song is probably the most emotional, most heart-wrenchingly sorrowful thing I've ever heard. I love this band so much. They're a huge influence to me.

http://youtu.be/mt3N92URjSE

Ancestral Desecration by Nuklearenpest
20.09.2013 - 21:08
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpE7HE3tVno
02.10.2013 - 22:36
ljubicasta

ABSURDOOM "IN FLUMINE MUNDI" EP/Digital
OUT NOW!

1. THE ARK [6:02]
2. THE MAN WHO ATE DEATH [5:32]

NEW ABSURDOOM RECORDING AFTER MORE THEN A YEAR AND A HALF FOR A FREE DOWNLOAD:
http://pmkrecords.bandcamp.com/album/absurdoom-in-flumine-mundi

Or support by 'naming your price' na http://absurdoom.bandcamp.com/
INCLUDING PDF BOOKLET WITH BACKCOVER AND LYRICS.

PMK023
http://pmkrecords.com/
Songs written, arranged & performed by: Greshnik
Lyrics taken from the tale "The man who ate death" by Borislav Pekić, and selected verses from: "The Book of Mirdad" by Mikha'il Na'ima.
Guest vocal on "The Man Who Ate Death", Marko Stamenković.
Recorded, produced and mixed @ BrowBeat Studio by Slađan Milenović in Aug/Sep 2013.
Cover photos by Miodrag Ignjatović.
Logotype and cover design by The Lightbearer Studios.

"The limit of every pain is an even greater pain" Emil M. Cioran
Dedicated Srđan Krasić.

11.10.2013 - 10:49
no one
Account deleted
[yaae!, just read this on face book

Total Holocaust Records have just officially released two tapes of ours:
- Hypothermia / Svartnar - Undergången (re issur two extra songs)
- Hypothermia / Svarti Loghin - Tanke & Minne

02.11.2013 - 01:39
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Silencer vocals are really weird... I like it...
Does anyone know more bands with vocals similar? Or even scarier?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
02.11.2013 - 05:48
no one
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 02.11.2013 at 01:39

Silencer vocals are really weird... I like it...
Does anyone know more bands with vocals similar? Or even scarier?

Bethlehem or Sterbend maybe.
02.11.2013 - 14:07
Vombatus
Potorro
^Yeah, both of them would be my guess too. To a lesser extent, Lifelover or Darktribe could also work.
02.11.2013 - 17:15
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Wow, Sterbend is very good. Also Lifelover is very interesting. I already knew the other two... But not much into them... I guess I'll give them another chance..
Thanks for the replies
----
- Reimu Hakurei
02.11.2013 - 20:04
no one
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 02.11.2013 at 17:15

Wow, Sterbend is very good. Also Lifelover is very interesting. I already knew the other two... But not much into them... I guess I'll give them another chance..
Thanks for the replies

if you like Lifelover try Hypothermia if you haven't, same vocals but a shit load more brutal.

oh and Trist have a kind weird screaming vocs, but i'm sure you would have all ready heard that band.
04.11.2013 - 23:16
The Turbanator
Written by Guest on 02.11.2013 at 20:04

Thanks for the replies

if you like Lifelover try Hypothermia if you haven't, same vocals but a shit load more brutal.

oh and Trist have a kind weird screaming vocs, but i'm sure you would have all ready heard that band.

Silencer for the best vocals.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
05.11.2013 - 08:34
no one
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 04.11.2013 at 23:16

Written by Guest on 02.11.2013 at 20:04

Thanks for the replies

Silencer for the best vocals.

ah... yeah he knows that, he is trying to find something similar
13.11.2013 - 21:59
BreadGod
Account deleted
Have any of you heard of Ghost Bath? They're from China, and they're seriously one of the most promising depressive black metal bands I've heard in a long time. I especially like how the vocal performance reminds me of Silencer.

http://www.ghostbath.bandcamp.com/
14.11.2013 - 06:19
no one
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.11.2013 at 21:59

Have any of you heard of Ghost Bath? They're from China, and they're seriously one of the most promising depressive black metal bands I've heard in a long time. I especially like how the vocal performance reminds me of Silencer.

http://www.ghostbath.bandcamp.com/

downloaded it, will listen to it tomorrow. though i am over silencer
14.11.2013 - 23:03
Vombatus
Potorro
The Ghost Bath vocals are hilarious !!! Quite good overall, but not sure the type of thing I'd stick around too long...
15.11.2013 - 01:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Jesus Christ those vocals are 100000 db too loud in the mix. ick.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.11.2013 - 07:35
no one
Account deleted
Ah fuck you guys bet me to it, i have been laughing at these vocals all day at work. Think it's hilarious how in a lot of dsbm they have a big cough, like "oh man im just so sick" especially the coughing fit on this album.

i don't think they are promising at all IMO
15.11.2013 - 15:48
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I don't know...
I agree that the vocals are indeed (too) louder than the mix, but they didn't remind me of silencer.
Seemed like normal dsbm vocals for me
----
- Reimu Hakurei
16.11.2013 - 12:13
sixsixseven
My friend knows one of the members of Ghost Bath and I got to hear part of the full length they are writing...let's just say I was surprised, in a good way.
24.11.2013 - 00:23
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Simple yet depressive, I'm hooked on this now:
----
- Reimu Hakurei
27.12.2013 - 10:19
sixsixseven
29.12.2013 - 10:47
no one
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by The Turbanator on 19.02.2013 at 11:00

The album is pretty different than the rest. Sounds more like the "Stiny" album. After this album he changed his style, and then came the masterpiece "Zrcadlení melancholie".

Both songs are on YouTube (and both are full songs).

Here part I :

and Part II :

have to agree this album is a master piece

Annorkoth sounds really good too
31.12.2013 - 20:19
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I actually thought that this topic was about depressive bm in general, and the OP here even includes bands as Burzum and Drudkh on his list, which have nothing to do with suicidal ideology, while I thought that the locked topic was about only the specific DSBM ideology?
Well, whatever... I could be wrong as well...
----
- Reimu Hakurei
31.12.2013 - 21:47
no one
Account deleted
^ yeah it was kind of dumb to lock the other thread i made, this thread seems more to be about the bands as mine was kind of more to do with the genre and it's relation to mental health and things. Disrupted a good convo
31.12.2013 - 21:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Just pick up on where that topic left off. Just because this is a thread primarily dedicated to discussing the music doesn't mean we can't all discuss philosophies or whatever. Just look at the NSBM thread (if you can filter out all the grammar Nazi crap).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.12.2013 - 22:24
angel.
Evil Butterfly
I don't know why it was blocked, hmm after the discussion was fueled it wasn't the right moment for blocking the thread ,anyway, this was my last post there : I don't listen to depressive BM, actually I have never followed it, but yeah I listen to deals of doom just because it suits my moods, sometimes it reinforces my being down, but you know if I hear let's say happy music something like power metal I would be really irritated, simply I want to punch the musicians in the face, they somewhat turns my sad moods into being furious and being annoyed, but doom goes with my feelings and they somehow let me to be calm. And here I'm talking about the mood of music on whole, not just the lyrical theme specifically.
----
The Fangirl.
31.12.2013 - 23:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.12.2013 at 21:54

Just pick up on where that topic left off. Just because this is a thread primarily dedicated to discussing the music doesn't mean we can't all discuss philosophies or whatever. Just look at the NSBM thread (if you can filter out all the grammar Nazi crap).

grammer nazi? its me?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.12.2013 - 23:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Bad English on 31.12.2013 at 23:40
grammer nazi? its me?

Do you really need to ask, of all users on this site, if you are a "grammer" Nazi? I was referring to how that NSBM thread is filled with people critiquing your English, which is now apparently happening in this thread as well.

Let's talk more about why people listen to this stuff rather than how poorly you manage to type.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.01.2014 - 01:50
Skl3ros
Written by Guest on 31.12.2013 at 21:47

^ yeah it was kind of dumb to lock the other thread i made, this thread seems more to be about the bands as mine was kind of more to do with the genre and it's relation to mental health and things. Disrupted a good convo

yeah really unnecessary. some people stick to rules too much and don't use enough common sense. the discussion was clearly not about the music itself as it is here.
01.01.2014 - 03:06
no one
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.12.2013 at 21:54

unlike the nsbm thread it would have been good to separate the controversial opinions/debates to another thread, oh well no biggy
01.01.2014 - 16:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
^ I see no difference whatsoever.

I approve of the thread being closed. We can simply continue the discussion here. We surely can't be so limited that we need a thread for this and a thread for that to stay on a particular topic we are discussing. Find it ironic that Skl3ros says that some people stick to rules too much while we can say the very same thing about wanting to create another thread because we can't discuss the philosopies in the same thread where we discuss the music... But enought of that.

Now, let's go back to the discussion. I thought it was interesting. I'll be lazy and just copy paste what I already wrote:

DSBM doesn't necessarily reinforces negative thoughts. It depends on how you react when you experience frustration that is not yours (but only from the music and the artist). One of the reasons I find depressive and slow music like DSBM and Doom metal as uplifting is because I find myself listening to someone else sharing some problems and I think "Hey man, I'm not alone on this". That helps quite a bit.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.