Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - Reveal New Line-Up

Nightwish finally have an answer as to whom is the new permanent singer of the band. After much suspense, vocalist Floor Jansen is a keeper. Also, the Finnish band is now a six-piece as Troy Donockley (uilleann pipes, low whistles, vocals) will become a full-time member of Nightwish as well.

The band explained: "Originally we were going to wait until 2014 to make a decision about the future line-up of the band, but the past year has clearly shown us that Floor and Troy are perfect matching pieces to our puzzle, and we are really grateful of the bond that has grown between all of us. We love you guys."

Commented vocalist Floor Jansen: "Words cannot describe what I feel! This union is beyond everything and I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to continue this amazing journey with my new brothers! Once I had a dream... and this is it!"

Piper/whistleman Troy Donockley added: "Imaginaerum World Tour was a revelation to me and in that time, I became aware of a growing unity and then, finally, a transcendence of all the usual nonsense that affects bands. A beautiful process. And since the idea, the musical dream that is Nightwish has been a part of me since before I was born, I am delighted to officially sail into uncharted waters with my brothers and sister. Wondrous scenes Ahoy! "

The new official line-up can be seen on the live tour/documentary DVD Showtime, Storytime to be released on November 29th. You can watch a brand new trailer here directed by Ville Lipiäinen.

Source: nightwish.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 09.10.2013 by /Marius

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 55   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 544 users
10.10.2013 - 01:04
Akula

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.10.2013 at 20:41

With frequent changes in line ups, i've now high hope to see myself in Nightwish one day.

Man, Nightwish must be one the bands with less changes in line ups. What are you talking about?
10.10.2013 - 04:35
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by The Evergreen on 09.10.2013 at 18:46

YES!
It's great to see Troy finally get some recognition, he outlasted Annette after all. Also, it goes to show that you are never too old for metal and that just about any instrument can be used for metal. I like both of those thoughts.

Floor is a great pick, I wish this lineup well and hope it can stay around. I think some people get a bit wrapped up in the idea the idea that Nightwish has a revolving door for singers, but it simply is not so. Tarja was there for ten years, Annette for nearly six. Three singers in 17 years is not out of line. There are bands that go through lineup changes much faster. Nightwish still has only three former/ex members. Again, three people left in 17 years. Not bad. I'm not worried about the stability of lineup.

I'm sure ReVamp is special to many folks, but it doesn't need to die (Just look at Tarot) and (also like Tarot), Nightwish is probably a better place to be for a majority of the time.

Can't wait for the next tour!

I actually think Nightwish is one of those bands that could easily adapt to various line up changes. Honestly how essential to the band are Jukka and Emppu? Even Marko could be easily replaced since after all Tapio Wilska was a much better male vocalist.

They are fine musicians on their own right but none of them are amazing, and none of them contribute much to the band's songwriting.

The lead singer is always a little harder to replace, and I never liked Annette, but overall the band still retained its quality and there were many suitable replacements for Tarja. Replacing Annette is easy, basically anything is going to be an upgrade.

The only crucial member of the band is Thomas all of the others are easily replaceable.
----
10.10.2013 - 04:47
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

They went with Floor? SHOCKING!!!

With that said, good choice. Floor can sing the operatic stuff like Tarja could, but can also sing in more of a "normal" and powerful voice. It should allow them to do some different things.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.10.2013 at 23:52

It's surprising how many people give a shit. Cause really most people don't give a shiot about this averave band and this run of the mill singer.

HAHAHAHA. 100% honest to god truth, I was sitting here reading through all these comments today and I said to myself "Wow, quite a few comments and Marcel still hasn't decided to show up only to sh** on this band like he always does with popular metal bands."

You didn't let me down. So predictable it's become a joke.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
10.10.2013 - 05:49
mikeprado30

Nice news for the most popular band in this subgenre, getting the BEST and MOST BEAUTIFUL singer in the whole world (yes, fanboy mode on ), and also getting a great musician in Troy
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
10.10.2013 - 09:22
angel.
Evil Butterfly

It's surprising how many people give a shit. Cause really most people don't give a shiot about this averave band and this run of the mill singer.

exactly my thoughts, I don't know really what's exciting about this news
----
The Fangirl.
10.10.2013 - 11:38
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.10.2013 at 20:41

With frequent changes in line ups, i've now high hope to see myself in Nightwish one day.

Reckon they'll need a spoons player someday?

Written by Fred on 09.10.2013 at 18:23

Hahahaha exactly my thoughts
Beware Floor! How much will you hold onto this post?

2 albums. Same as Dio (1st stint Sabbath), Blaze Bayley, Ripper (twice), Olzen, the Candlemass singer between Vikstrom and Marcolin's second stint, etc.

Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 10.10.2013 at 04:47

HAHAHAHA. 100% honest to god truth, I was sitting here reading through all these comments today and I said to myself "Wow, quite a few comments and Marcel still hasn't decided to show up only to sh** on this band like he always does with popular metal bands."

Imagine if Angela Gossow had got the gig. Marcel would've exploded!
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
10.10.2013 - 11:49
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by M C Vice on 10.10.2013 at 11:38

which gig ? ! Angela is no comparable to this kinda of fuss for Floor and Nightwish, though I know you dislike Angela but still come on...
----
The Fangirl.
10.10.2013 - 11:49
Night Theater

This is awesome news. I'm pretty excited for what will come.
10.10.2013 - 12:10
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by angel. on 10.10.2013 at 11:49

Written by M C Vice on 10.10.2013 at 11:38

which gig ? ! Angela is no comparable to this kinda of fuss for Floor and Nightwish, though I know you dislike Angela but still come on...

When did I say I don't like Gossow? Anyway, I meant that merging 2 things Marcel disliked so much as Nightwish and Gossow would caiuse him to spontaneously combust (BANG!).
----
10.10.2013 - 12:13
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by M C Vice on 10.10.2013 at 12:10

When did I say I don't like Gossow? Anyway, I meant that merging 2 things Marcel disliked so much as Nightwish and Gossow would caiuse him to spontaneously combust (BANG!).

alright , I think you wrote once on my list that because the German vegetarian is not there and ... and I DON'T remember the rest, I thought you might dislike her too BTW Marcel is pretty right about his point. I can't see why people get this excited about such news either what's really exciting !
----
The Fangirl.
10.10.2013 - 12:49
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by angel. on 10.10.2013 at 12:13

Written by M C Vice on 10.10.2013 at 12:10

alright , I think you wrote once on my list that because the German vegetarian is not there and ... and I DON'T remember the rest, I thought you might dislike her too BTW Marcel is pretty right about his point. I can't see why people get this excited about such news either what's really exciting !

Before I read the full article and comments, I knew it would be like (don't bother trying to get the analogy here) Gus talking about Sony Bill. I'm more curious than excited. I like Nightwish (both eras) and they were always going to get a new singer so it's a case of who's the new singer, right, whatever, wait for a new album. The "OMG!! FLOOR!! OMG!!! is a bit over the top.
I don't think Gossow is one of the best vocalists, same as Ozzy, but I still like them as long as the music is good. Just not one of the best.
----
10.10.2013 - 12:55
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by M C Vice on 10.10.2013 at 12:49

The "OMG!! FLOOR!! OMG!!! is a bit over the top.
I don't think Gossow is one of the best vocalists, same as Ozzy, but I still like them as long as the music is good. Just not one of the best.

right on
----
The Fangirl.
10.10.2013 - 20:18
Pandore

Am I the only who's not excited about this change?

That's great news for Nightwish, Floor is the perfect singer for them. But I'm not sure Nightwish is the perfect band for Floor. And with Floor being one of my favorite female metal singers, I'm more concerned about Floor than Nightwish.

I feel like Nightwish style is too "gentle", and that it will put Floor's power to a waste. Floor's voice goes very well with heavier stuff, and Nightwish doesn't have that "oomph" After Forever had. (Floor would fit very well in Trail of Tears for example, although the band is dead).

At the same time, having Floor opens up a whole bunch of possibilities for Nightwish as she can sing in different styles, so I hope Tuomas will adapt the band's style and use Floor's voice to its full potential. I also hope we'll see many Floor/Marco duos, as those two should sound great together.

There's also the fact the I'm less into Nightwish since a few years (including their earlier era, it's not related to the Annette albums), so I'm bit sad to see one of my favorite singers go into a band for which I don't care that much anymore. Let's hope Floor will make me like Nightwish again
10.10.2013 - 20:33
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish

I know you have a reputation to uphold and everything, but Nightwish is the 11th most popular band on this site (just behind Black Sabbath and ahead of Judas Priest - seriously). It's not surprising at all that so many people care / want to comment. Especially regarding news of a newly confirmed lead singer.
10.10.2013 - 21:02
ohmayhem

Floor became one of my favorite vocalists through After Forever and now she is finally getting the recognition she deserves in Nightwish! This is proving to be quite the autumn!
10.10.2013 - 23:02
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Hm, I love Floor, love her a vocalist and a frontwoman, have loved her since the first moment I heard her in After Forever.She is by far the owner of one of the most powerful voices .... in the world (pretend like Jeremy Clarkson's saying that). I don't really like Nightwish, never did. I feel obligated to like NIghtwish nao.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
11.10.2013 - 03:49
The Evergreen

Quote:
[Quote]
I actually think Nightwish is one of those bands that could easily adapt to various line up changes. Honestly how essential to the band are Jukka and Emppu? Even Marko could be easily replaced since after all Tapio Wilska was a much better male vocalist.

They are fine musicians on their own right but none of them are amazing, and none of them contribute much to the band's songwriting.

The lead singer is always a little harder to replace, and I never liked Annette, but overall the band still retained its quality and there were many suitable replacements for Tarja. Replacing Annette is easy, basically anything is going to be an upgrade.

The only crucial member of the band is Thomas all of the others are easily replaceable.

Empuu has been there since day zero. He lends a lot to the Nightwish sound. Marco, as he puts it himself, brings a heaviness an down right stunning backing/alt vocals, so we'll disagree there. We'll disagree on Tapio, too. You may have a point about Jukka.

I think Tuomas by himself would be film music... If you read the Nightwish book, you may find that each of the people in the band brings quite a lot by virtue of being with the others.
11.10.2013 - 15:05
Rhiannon
Account deleted

lol, my thoughts exactly when I read his comment
11.10.2013 - 21:13
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
Written by Guest on 11.10.2013 at 15:05

lol, my thoughts exactly when I read his comment

I can accept the "average band" part about Nightwish, even though I personally disagree. But "run of the mill singer"? Floor Jansen? That's just... Wow. Please Marcel, enlighten me about who the great operatic vocalists in Metal are.

Written by Byners on 09.10.2013 at 22:13

I was starting to like that ReVamp thing... D:
But I must say... She is the beautifulest[?] Nightwish's singer ever.

*Most beautiful

I didn't think ReVamp was such a great band as many people here state. Both albums were enjoyable but nowhere near the epicness of After Forever. In Nightwish, Floor will be part of a better soundwriting environment, which will allow her to shine once again I think. I just hope Nightwish leaves the "movie drama style" behind and goes back to heavier, darker stuff and more energic stuff, which suits Floor's voice better.
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
13.10.2013 - 18:24
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Yay!!!
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
16.10.2013 - 01:40
theembryo

Bravo on the decision, glad they did not wait.
16.10.2013 - 03:27
Lord_Regnier

Nightwish have always been a complete enigma to me. I've never ever understood why so many people care about this average at best and totally boring band. Powermetal is not my thing, as most of you already know, but it seems to me there are lots of bands in the genre much more interesting than Nightwish.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
17.10.2013 - 03:37
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Lord_Regnier on 16.10.2013 at 03:27

Nightwish have always been a complete enigma to me. I've never ever understood why so many people care about this average at best and totally boring band. Powermetal is not my thing, as most of you already know, but it seems to me there are lots of bands in the genre much more interesting than Nightwish.

Nightwish hasn't played power metal since Wishmaster. The band has been gradually turning into a pure Symphonic Metal band, starting with Century Child and culminating the transformation with Dark Passion Play.

A lot of people care about Nightwish because they are trend setters. They made the genre popular and have never release a completely crappy album. Overall they are a quality band, and have the financial resources to do pretty much whatever they want creatively.
----
26.10.2013 - 23:27
SatyriconChick

Floor's vocals are the perfect fit for Nightwish. I'm so happy they're keeping her full-time.
01.01.2014 - 19:08
Zenzero
Zenzero
I was listening some songs from the live dvd right now, I must say Floor Jansen is no good for Nightwish... The esay way to explain it is that she can't sing well the Anette's songs and she can't sing as well as Tarja the old ones!
I think they would go on with a singer more similar to Anette!

Hits total: 7873 | This month: 3