Metal Storm logo
Running Wild

Original post

Posted by , 05.01.2007 - 00:29
One of the most consistent traditional metal bands ever!!
Basically all of their old albums are classics and have some of the most catchy choruses ever.. Excellent heavy riffs, blazing solos, and upbeat drumming.. What more can you expect.. Oh, the intelligent lyrics are their deal also (it's not just stupid themes rehashing some pirate storiesm, and besides that they have a lot of other themes such as Genghis Khan)...
And this concert staple song describes them the best:

We are prisoners of our time
But we are still alive
Fight for the freedom,
Fight for the right
We are Running Wild

Those lyrics also hold true today!
Hail, hail to the creators of Pirate Metal (of course it's not a genre)!
Rock 'n' Rolf rules!!!
23.08.2007 - 13:54
APOHAKC
The Bard
Because they said to me that they don't listen metal and they are not interested in that music anymore, I am not stupid, I know that look don't have anything to do with music they like.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
23.08.2007 - 13:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by APOHAKC on 23.08.2007 at 13:54

Because they said to me that they don't listen metal and they are not interested in that music anymore, I am not stupid, I know that look don't have anything to do with music they like.

Okay, but then you should have stated that as well, cause now it seemed that how one look s has to do with being a metalhead or not. But no harm done, just wanted to make sure you'r enot such a person who thinks that metalheads can't look like hard working men.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.08.2007 - 13:58
APOHAKC
The Bard
I am hard working man

No problem, I don't really care how someone looks, and in many occasion, I don't look like regular metalhead, beside the hair. And I could never come to work with Satanic Warmaster t-shirt, my boss wouldn't like it lot
----
25.08.2007 - 23:35
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
One good thing about Running Wild, musically they haven't changed much since they've started , much like Motorhead.
26.08.2007 - 03:37
APOHAKC
The Bard
Well, my opinion about them, I love them, but sometimes I have feeling that they find out some really cool rif and then they decide to make an album with that cool riff in 10 different variations, I mean, they rotate one riff through they whole album. And next album, you can hear some other riff, maybe I am wrong, but that is how I see it, and you can't change albums much if you work like that.
----
17.05.2009 - 18:25
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hell yeah every song i'm listening from them makes me appreciate them more(which shouldn't be surprising since i'm listening to a Best Of album yeah i know i'm asking for it ). Little Big Horn is a really great track, though my all-time favorite probably will remain "Riding The Storm". can't wait to see their last show at Wacken. they have this really epic and optimistic sound which i love. they sound like some kind of pirate-themed, epic power metal slightly hippie version of Amon Amarth.
24.07.2009 - 09:35
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I have Port Royale album and i remember the only song i like on it was Conquistadores...the rest was just average for me...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

24.07.2009 - 11:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 24.07.2009 at 09:35

I have Port Royale album and i remember the only song i like on it was Conquistadores...the rest was just average for me...

If you like this album you shood like also bands like Grave Digger n X Wild specely X Wild my fav HM so far and till etenrity
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.07.2009 - 12:46
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I actually state, i find it "average", so...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

09.08.2009 - 15:37
loudandheavy
Account deleted
Running wild were good but they've repeated their riffs and solos in every album,there's no much variety in their albuns,but they're the masters of Pirate Metal and albuns like Under Jolly Roger and Black Hand Inn are great metal albuns
09.08.2009 - 16:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 09.08.2009 at 15:37

Running wild were good but they've repeated their riffs and solos in every album,there's no much variety in their albuns,but they're the masters of Pirate Metal and albuns like Under Jolly Roger and Black Hand Inn are great metal albuns

What is a pirate metal?
----

apos;'
[image]
09.08.2009 - 16:28
Lord_Regnier

No one on this board seems to know that this band doesn't exist anymore.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
09.08.2009 - 16:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lord_Regnier on 09.08.2009 at 16:28

No one on this board seems to know that this band doesn't exist anymore.

Where did you get it they played in WAO this year
----

apos;'
[image]
09.08.2009 - 16:56
Lord_Regnier

They split-up.

German version:

"An alle treuen RUNNING WILD Fans:

Nach nunmehr 30 Jahren RUNNING WILD fühle ich, dass es Zeit ist die Flagge einzuholen, die Segel zu streichen und zu neuen Herausforderungen aufzubrechen.

Deshalb wollen wir ein letztes Mal die Band und ihre 30-jährige Geschichte auf dem diesjährigen Wacken Open Air am Donnerstag, dem 30. Juli, anlässlich dessen 20-jährigen Geburtstags, mit einer zweistündigen Headliner-Best-Of-Show mit vielen Überraschungen feiern und würdig beenden.

Ebenfalls ist eine Live-DVD und -CD von dieser Show geplant, um das Ganze abzurunden.

Ich kann nun mit Gelassenheit auf die letzten 30 Jahre zurückblicken und bin stolz auf das Erreichte. Gleichzeitig wäre aber all dies nicht möglich gewesen ohne Eure jahrzehntelange Unterstützung. Deshalb vielen Dank für all die schönen Momente dieser Karriere und alles Gute für die Zukunft!

Euer
Rock'n'Rolf"

English version:

"To all loyal RW fans:

After more than 30 years of RW I feel it's time to take down the flag, strike the seal and seek new challenges. Because of that we would like to celebrate the band and its 30 years of history at this year's WOA on Thursday, the 30th July, for its 20th anniversary, with a two-hour long Headliner-Best-Of-Show with lots of surprises and end it all in style.

There will be a live DVD and CD of this show, to round it off.

I can now look back on those 30 years with serenity and be proud of what has been achieved. At the same time this would not have been possible without your tens of years long support. Because of that, many thanks for the beautiful moments of this career and I wish you all the best for the future!

Your truly
Rock'n'Rolf "

Original source: http://www.running-wild.net/backstage/viewtopic.php?t=338
----
09.08.2009 - 20:28
Baz Anderson

Yes, Running Wild have come to an end now unfortunately.
Their set at Wacken was great (it was two hours long) - but I just wish they played "Treasure Island".. they had the time to!
It rained heavily through their set too, so not a perfect ending - but one to remember anyway.
29.10.2009 - 15:13
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Baz Anderson on 09.08.2009 at 20:28

Yes, Running Wild have come to an end now unfortunately.
Their set at Wacken was great (it was two hours long) - but I just wish they played "Treasure Island".. they had the time to!
It rained heavily through their set too, so not a perfect ending - but one to remember anyway.

luckily for me it rained only during the mid-latter half of the show, which coincided with songs i didn't know from them, but the first 7 songs = MAJOR WIN, the Brotherhood and the last 3 also(i only had a t-shirt on, nothing with long sleeves so you can imagine how cold i was, i drank at least 4 hot chocolate cups that night). i remember how i said "fuck it, they can't make up for this shitty weather", and i wanted to take shelter under some shop's roof when he announced RAISE YOUR FIST(by far one of my favorite tracks of theirs)... and guess what? i came back to life hahaha, then they left and they came back for Conquistadors and then, it was time to say farewell, with the final Jolly Roger . they went down with a fucking BANG and helped me get pumped for Heaven and Hell half an hour later.

listening to The Brotherhood right now, all that comes to mind are memories from WOA 2009...... i remember on the morning of RW's day i heard the guys singing "Port Royale" at a soundcheck from just outside my tent, talk about building up anticipation... man... festivals give you some great fucking memories.
05.11.2009 - 04:21
Tormentor666

Damn great, one of my favourite bands. My favourite albums are "Under Jolly Roger", "Port Royal" and "Death or Glory", but I really enjoy their 90s too, mainly "The Rivalry" and "Black Hand Inn". "Blazon Stone" is also pretty good.

About their final show in Wacken... unfortunately, I couldn't go to Wacken to see it, so I would like to watch the entire show on DVD, pro-shot or something like that... do you know if they are going to release the show on DVD in the near future? It would be great.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
08.11.2009 - 00:30
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Tormentor666 on 05.11.2009 at 04:21

Damn great, one of my favourite bands. My favourite albums are "Under Jolly Roger", "Port Royal" and "Death or Glory", but I really enjoy their 90s too, mainly "The Rivalry" and "Black Hand Inn". "Blazon Stone" is also pretty good.

About their final show in Wacken... unfortunately, I couldn't go to Wacken to see it, so I would like to watch the entire show on DVD, pro-shot or something like that... do you know if they are going to release the show on DVD in the near future? It would be great.

i hope so..

anyway it's sad this band was only popular in Europe, they deserved much more than just being every German heavy metal fan's cult favorite band...
08.11.2009 - 00:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 08.11.2009 at 00:30

i hope so..

anyway it's sad this band was only popular in Europe, they deserved much more than just being every German heavy metal fan's cult favorite band...

SO you equate Germany with Europe? They were actually only popular in Germany, and rightly so.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.11.2009 - 00:59
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.11.2009 at 00:49

Written by Valentin B on 08.11.2009 at 00:30

i hope so..

SO you equate Germany with Europe? They were actually only popular in Germany, and rightly so.

well i don't know how it was back in the day, but out of curiosity i looked at their fan list here on MS and 99% of them are from Europe(not just Germany)...
08.11.2009 - 01:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 08.11.2009 at 00:59

well i don't know how it was back in the day, but out of curiosity i looked at their fan list here on MS and 99% of them are from Europe(not just Germany)...

Saleswise and attendance at gigs wise they were only big in Germany.

I once saw them back in the day on their Under Jolly Roger tour when they were at their biggest ever and onyl 20 paying visitors saw them here in The Netherlands. And I heard from very reliable sources at the time that loads of gigs throughout Europe were cancelled due to even poorer ticket sales during that tour.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.11.2009 - 01:21
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.11.2009 at 01:04

Written by Valentin B on 08.11.2009 at 00:59

Saleswise and attendance at gigs wise they were only big in Germany.

I once saw them back in the day on their Under Jolly Roger tour when they were at their biggest ever and onyl 20 paying visitors saw them here in The Netherlands. And I heard from very reliable sources at the time that loads of gigs throughout Europe were cancelled due to even poorer ticket sales during that tour.

man, that makes me so sad.. sounds like the Anvil documentary bit when they play in front of 5-6 people in that shitty pub because of poor promotion... well, to draw a comparison between the ending of the Anvil documentary and the end of Running Wild's career, i guess they finally found a true home, for Anvil it's Japan(i was almost moved to tears at the end when i saw that venue being completely full of young Japanese heavy metal maniacs at 11:30 AM, fucking amazing),

and for Running Wild it's Germany of course(and the same thing applies here, i couldn't believe how many people gathered for RW, must have been 50.000 at the very least), sure, 20.000 of them went back to the tents when the rain started but a good 10.000 people still remained through the incredibly cold weather and pouring rain to sing along with Rolf under the last Jolly Roger!
08.11.2009 - 14:42
Lord_Regnier

Young people often greatly overestimate the popularity of many old metal bands.
They see those bands as legends who were very big in their time (the 80s), while in fact you would have been hard pressed to find someone who at least knew the name of those bands back then, outside of a few specific parts of Europe.

I find it funny to read comments from young metalheads who look at those bands in awe, thinking that they were big and well-known, while I remember that almost nobody cared for them and considered them as 'second rate' bands in the 80s, at the very time young people believe that they were so big.
----
09.11.2009 - 15:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Lord_Regnier on 08.11.2009 at 14:42

They see those bands as legends who were very big in their time (the 80s), while in fact you would have been hard pressed to find someone who at least knew the name of those bands back then, outside of a few specific parts of Europe.

I find it funny to read comments from young metalheads who look at those bands in awe, thinking that they were big and well-known, while I remember that almost nobody cared for them and considered them as 'second rate' bands in the 80s, at the very time young people believe that they were so big.

True, loads of what we considered second-rate at best back then somehow get revered by young metalheads nowadays, another case in point being Primal Fear and also Grave Digger. Usually the German bands that play that sort of music. They were big in Germany and Japan (but then again alsmot every band was big in Japan at the time ) but nowehere else. In The Netherlands they were happy if they drew more than 50 people to a gig of their's. I remember seeing U.D.O. in 1990 or 1991 play in front of 30 people in a venue that holds 1100, and of those 30 20 were on the guest list hahahaha
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.11.2009 - 02:14
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I gave a try to this band, and IMHO all their albums sounds pretty much teh same. You listen to "The Rivalry", their most famous and also their best, and that's it, you don't need to listen any more albums.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
20.11.2009 - 08:14
Charly546

I bet you didn't listen to their first and best - "Gates to Purgatory".
20.11.2009 - 11:09
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.11.2009 at 15:18

Written by Lord_Regnier on 08.11.2009 at 14:42

True, loads of what we considered second-rate at best back then somehow get revered by young metalheads nowadays, another case in point being Primal Fear and also Grave Digger. Usually the German bands that play that sort of music. They were big in Germany and Japan (but then again alsmot every band was big in Japan at the time ) but nowehere else. In The Netherlands they were happy if they drew more than 50 people to a gig of their's. I remember seeing U.D.O. in 1990 or 1991 play in front of 30 people in a venue that holds 1100, and of those 30 20 were on the guest list hahahaha

Primal Fear weren't you talking about 80s metal? i'm presuming you mean Helloween(imo one of the most overrated bands ever), Axxis or Blind Guardian

EDIT oh yeah, you mean Accept the epitome of bands big in Japan and Germany but not in Europe as a whole
21.11.2009 - 00:07
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Charly546 on 20.11.2009 at 08:14

I bet you didn't listen to their first and best - "Gates to Purgatory".

Yes , I did, but like someone posted previously, they repeat teh same riffs in every album.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
06.04.2010 - 12:04
Valentin B
Iconoclast

does anyone else recognize the people and see the disturbing resemblance? lol
06.04.2010 - 19:57
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Valentin B on 06.04.2010 at 12:04

does anyone else recognize the people and see the disturbing resemblance? lol

Not in the slightest.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."