Metal Storm logo
Jazz & metal

05.01.2007 - 18:32
Markku
Account deleted
Hello fellow stormers!

Here we can discuss all sorts of jazz metal bands. Hopefully this thread will be flooded with loads of excellent recommendations.

If you recommend or mention a band it be very nice if you'd add a description, be it short or long doesn't matter as it gives a hint what is the music like as the genre is very wide ranging from jazz death to more mellow bands(that is also the reason the thread wasn't created either in melodic or extreme metal forum)

Hope you have lots of fun discovering new bands
05.01.2007 - 20:12
Ernis
狼獾
I'm awfully sorry but I'm afraid I can't give you any big recommendations...until now I had never heard of jazz metal so I expect you are the one who should give me some examples or recommendations.....
I only know about acid jazz but jazz metal is new to me....
06.01.2007 - 00:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like Jazz music, all styles, supgenres, anavgard and almoust all specely that kind what play polihs jazz radio, but jazz metal
Hmmm I prefere original jazz but
Atheist - Specely in album ''Elements'' its werry jazzy influenced album, specely bass and drumm mix

Freak Kitchen - Ask betetr Jeff but there are Jazz influences

Yes Jens Johansson his solo album are jazzy and i hawe no but all samples of hp its jazz more how metal

Same about Mike Terrana
Hmm ist all
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.01.2007 - 04:42
Dan066
Account deleted
I don't really think Jazz Metal is an actual genre, but who knows i could be wrong. I've heard of metal with jazz influences, and stuff like progressive metal which is kind of like that, but not an actual jazz metal. If jazz metal is an actual genre can you give us an example of some of your favorite jazz metal bands?
06.01.2007 - 08:22
Markku
Account deleted
I admit the name jazz metal might be a bit misleading, there aren't many bands which could be called pure jazz metal. Some of the bands have little jazz influences some have more. Here we can discuss all of them.

For statrters we can discuss Atheist(sometimes called jazz death especilly the last album Elements which really cool dynamic drum rhythms and jazzy vocals), also Cynic with materpiece album Focus(basically prog death with heavy jazz and even "pop" influenses).

Then there are the more melodic bands, for example Austrlaian band Alarum(haven't listened to them much so I can't give a good overview of them)

Written by Ernis on 05.01.2007 at 20:12

I'm awfully sorry but I'm afraid I can't give you any big recommendations...until now I had never heard of jazz metal so I expect you are the one who should give me some examples or recommendations.....
I only know about acid jazz but jazz metal is new to me....

I think you might know the Estonian jazzy prog band called Echosilence

Another really cool fusion band ins Exivious, they have altered vocals and really cool and complex guitar and drums. They are more heavier like Cynic.

EDIT: Changed the name of teh topic
06.01.2007 - 08:45
ylside
staff
John Zorn on some releases, close to grind/jazz, so it is metal somehow.

Extreme metal oriented:

Alchemist - Jar of Kingdom
Wayd - you can feel the jazz influences there also
Kobong - more toward free jazz if I remember right.(I don't remember how do they sound now)

Anyway I took those names from an old article I've wrote for MS A Stream of ingenuity in Death Metal
11.01.2007 - 19:53
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Well, this has been discussed till many of us were blue in the way on MS...

My favorite jazz+metal combinations would be Atheist and Cynic of course...
11.01.2007 - 23:57
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Umm...There are a wide vaiety of metal Bands that incorperate Jazz Theory into their music, of many Kinds of Subgenres, this is nothing new you know. Death used Lots of Jazz theory in their playing, and so did Megadeth.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
12.01.2007 - 00:10
Syrack
Account deleted
Lux occulta and Ephel Duath are mixing black metal or just metal with jazz. Lux occulta's The mother and the enemy it is one of my favourite albums. Ephel Duath's last release it's more like jazz with metal.
12.01.2007 - 00:35
ylside
staff
@Markku: Exvious was way too much Cynic influenced...they just do the same thing :-/

Wasn't Lux Occulta just plain melodic black metal ? (I've heard one album long ago, forgot it's name sorry...)
13.01.2007 - 22:08
Markku
Account deleted
Written by ylside on 12.01.2007 at 00:35

@Markku: Exvious was way too much Cynic influenced...they just do the same thing :-/

But they sound really good, it'd be hard to play extreme fusion metal without being influensed either by Cynic or Atheist. The last sample songs have a more personal touch.

What do you guys think of Alarum? They are an aussie fusion act, I've heard only a few songs but in those they have the jazzy feeling on both the extremish and mellower parts. They sound really technical too, actually most jazz infulensed death/thrash bands I've heard are pretty techy.
14.01.2007 - 04:02
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 13.01.2007 at 22:08

What do you guys think of Alarum? They are an aussie fusion act, I've heard only a few songs but in those they have the jazzy feeling on both the extremish and mellower parts. They sound really technical too, actually most jazz infulensed death/thrash bands I've heard are pretty techy.

Alarum is pretty cool I guess, but they sound very similar to Atheist. They even cover Atheist songs live!
14.01.2007 - 04:40
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 14.01.2007 at 04:02

Alarum is pretty cool I guess, but they sound very similar to Atheist. They even cover Atheist songs live!

They are influenced by Atheist and even palyed with Kelly Shaefer an Atheist sound but imo they don't sound at all like them.
14.01.2007 - 19:19
ylside
staff
Alarum is awesome indeed. I've heard their first album and I really liked it.
About Exivious well, they even used the same processed vocals !
14.01.2007 - 20:15
Bitch Boy
Diablo Swing Orchestra, which mixes elements from swing, jazz and obviously metal (symphonic metal, with female vocals, to be more specific).
14.01.2007 - 23:44
darksun
i think everything should remain same.Pure jazz is awesome and (i guess it'd be meaningless if i even talk about pure metal as a metalhead.) and so metal is.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
16.01.2007 - 18:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
And no one mentions Pestilence - Spheres ion this thread? Shame on you, people
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.01.2007 - 18:36
Markku
Account deleted
Forgot that one totally. That's a perfect example how it should be done.
17.01.2007 - 02:00
Markku
Account deleted
http://www.myspace.com/mirthkon

Here's some weirdass cool stuff.
17.01.2007 - 02:44
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
Hmm lets see...
There is Mr. Bungle and Fantomas, these two bands definitely mix metal and jazz quite a lot...
Fishbone and 24/7 Spyz also often included jazz elements in their music.
Then, there is of course Bill Laswell and his Praxis...
Also, there was this band called God, which was a collaboration between John Zorn and Justin K Broadrick...
Finally, the guys from Fushitsusha and other Japanese noise-rock bands such as Ruins often mix jazzy improvisation with music that is quite heavy.
17.01.2007 - 11:41
ylside
staff
Praxis yes! I think I've heard one album of them and it was pretty good.
27.01.2007 - 19:59
Markku
Account deleted
I mentioned Echoseilence before, here's the review written by Ivor
http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=2364

Jupitreas, Ylside any link to that Praxis? It apperas there's an old-school heavy band going under the same name.
22.02.2007 - 10:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.01.2007 at 18:13

You mean Duitch band

i know thay play thrash but dunno how tahy sounds , does like Anacruisis?
----

apos;'
[image]
22.02.2007 - 13:20
ylside
staff
Written by Bad English on 22.02.2007 at 10:13

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.01.2007 at 18:13

You mean Duitch band

i know thay play thrash but dunno how tahy sounds , does like Anacruisis?

Exactly the dutch band, try their last album "Spheres" K7, it's their most jazzy. Of course the rest of the discography is gold aswell. Especially Testimony of The Ancient (prog DM in the old vein, you may like them a lot).

Well thrash.. Malleus Maleficarum is their most thrashy album, off topic'ing. =)
22.02.2007 - 13:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@ylside thank's I try them out is long since I was lsitening such tech thrash bands from Europe
----

apos;'
[image]
24.02.2007 - 19:32
dasyatidae
Just check out atheist... they are awesome musicians...
"Elements" album is amazing
----
Sorry for my bad english.
24.02.2007 - 21:31
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by ylside on 17.01.2007 at 11:41

Praxis?

Sorry for that, but one of the most known build-it-yourself-stores in the Netherlands is called Praxis.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.02.2007 - 22:30
ylside
staff
Written by Lucas on 24.02.2007 at 21:31

Written by ylside on 17.01.2007 at 11:41

Praxis?

Sorry for that, but one of the most known build-it-yourself-stores in the Netherlands is called Praxis.

And shitload of other meanings it seems! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praxis

To stay on topic there's one Planet X song that is quite perfect Jazz/Metal mix, song's called "The Noble Savage", Moonbabies album. I know it's only ONE song but well it's the only thing I could add there. WE NEED MORE RECOMENDATIONS.
25.02.2007 - 16:09
Markku
Account deleted
A few cool bands I've come across recently
Doctor Nerve - cahotic/eclectic stuff, not very heavy but has some occasional heavy riffs and druming parts
Actual Time - rather heavy fusion stuff
Dysrhytmia - Drum and bass only. The instruments are played very intensely and suddenly switch to melodic parts, makes me think of Alrum and Atheist

It would be very cool if anyone could recommend some bands of the kind which make use of brass wind instruments.
26.02.2007 - 21:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
Dues ex machina (jazz/prog rock fusion)

One guy here http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=178&topicsearch=&page=1
says that

This band what thay plays
----

apos;'
[image]