‹‹ Back to the General metal forum
Users visited: 107  
Search this topic:  

Grey Wind

31.10.2013 at 13:26
While going through some metal tunes on youtube I suddenly had this funny question pop up in my head - "How many metalheads are there on earth?" and I thought it might be intriguing for you guys too.What happend is I checked a video of a certain band and it had 22,000 views. And it made me wonder, does that number somehow represent the number of fans this band has? The logical notion is - no , obviously - Because a single person can create 1000 views just by himself..so that number really doesn't help us. Am I right? Correct me if i'm wrong.

Anyway, the number does create a certain vibe. Some kind of assumption, and since no one can answer my question with perfect calculation, you can only achieve some kind of logical assumption. For example, we can look at the number of people attending festivals like Wacken. But still that calculation won't be so good. Just consider the amount of metalheads in third world countries in asia who have no money\option for these kind of trips. Or the age groups who just usually don't go to festivals.

Personally, my notion is that the community is much smaller than the vibe it creates.

Another example - Consider the huge(really huge) amount of news about the gay\lesbian demographic(especially in the US media).
But how many gay\lesbian people are in society? from my google search, less than 10%, and in some countries as low as 1% (!).
Isn't that interesting? but that's another topic. What I wanted to say is that It's really hard to get a good guess at how many metalheads are worldwide.
The worldwide metal community is very loud and when you look at it from inside, it feels like there are tons of us..but if we look at it from the outside? hmmmm what are your thoughts !?
----
My music: https://soundcloud.com/uzi-t
Fritillaria
Evil Butterfly

31.10.2013 at 14:44
Quote:
The worldwide metal community is very loud

no it is not always loud, there is actually a portion of this population which is quite silent , especially in those places that people are obliged to somewhat hide their taste of music.
----
Soundtrack of my life : Evil Dead
"He replies that he is stronger than the wolves, because he stands alone."
Lit.
Brütal Legend

31.10.2013 at 16:34
I don't know. Some big-ass number.
----
REPUBLICAN CAR!
3rdWorld

31.10.2013 at 22:58
Wont exceed a couple of millions I guess.
God of shadows

01.11.2013 at 08:10
And I guess it also depends where the line goes when you can be count as a metalhead. Occasionally listening to Metallica and Nightwish, but that's it, are you a metalhead then? When the main style of music you're listening to is metal, are you a metalhead then? When you only listen to Brutal Death and Funeral Doom? Where is the line drawn?
----
"Everything will be ok
I'll just sit down and watch some bullshit"
-Acrania
Grey Wind

01.11.2013 at 10:54
Written by God of shadows on 01.11.2013 at 08:10

And I guess it also depends where the line goes when you can be count as a metalhead. Occasionally listening to Metallica and Nightwish, but that's it, are you a metalhead then? When the main style of music you're listening to is metal, are you a metalhead then? When you only listen to Brutal Death and Funeral Doom? Where is the line drawn?

That's a really good point. Not an easy question! Hmm.
My best idea for now is maybe to count in 3 category like: hardcore, light, and subgenre-focused,
In the "hardcore" category type we'll have people who know a lot about the community, and enjoy many bands in multiple genres.
In the "light" category, we'll have people who enjoy a few bands, maybe 10, or more?, in 1-5 genres. But they identify as metalheads.
and the "subgenre-focused" category is about people who listen to many bands but only in one subgenre (like in your second example).

The one important thing in all categories is the person must identify himself as a metalhead, or else we can't count him ! I think that's obvious !:)

I think that covers pretty much everyone. You can count all of these people as metalheads.
the people we don't count are those who only like two bands like in your first example. They also probably don't identify as metalheads, so they can't be counted.

Well that's just one idea, if you guys have a different one say it !
----
Bad English
nobody

01.11.2013 at 17:04
Hard to tell, true old school metalheads who dress metal, live smetal, breaths metal are not so many , more we have ''heavy music listeners'' those are many because some ppl listen metal at some period of life and then no, those are heavy music listenenres, but metaheads are in metal whole life, like Marcel for example :p so I would say metalheads are 10% of population
and it is rising in islam world, africa and world where still idea of rebelion works, as crush the tyrany and systgen, in europe all has fallen, in non europe metal also is rebelion symbolism
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
BreadGod
Captain Virgin

01.11.2013 at 18:02
I assume metalheads comprise one percent of the population, so I guess there are a couple million all around the world.
----
Death Metal Bread
MAH BLAAGH
8chan
Quote:
Clearly your a virgin, go join captain virgin and the virginteers , the power is your lol
Grey Wind

01.11.2013 at 19:16
Written by BreadGod on 01.11.2013 at 18:02

I assume metalheads comprise one percent of the population, so I guess there are a couple million all around the world.

1 precent of the world is 70 million people, an interesting guess but I'm not sure about it
----
no one

01.11.2013 at 21:32
Written by Bad English on 01.11.2013 at 17:04

Hard to tell, true old school metalheads who dress metal, live smetal, breaths metal are not so many , more we have ''heavy music listeners'' those are many because some ppl listen metal at some period of life and then no, those are heavy music listenenres, but metaheads are in metal whole life, like Marcel for example :p so I would say metalheads are 10% of population
and it is rising in islam world, africa and world where still idea of rebelion works, as crush the tyrany and systgen, in europe all has fallen, in non europe metal also is rebelion symbolism

You can still become a metalhead without having listened to it your whole life.
I could have become a metal head when i was younger if i knew of the music i know now...not that i consider myself a metalhead now
----
hipster fag
Bad English
nobody

01.11.2013 at 21:48
Written by no one on 01.11.2013 at 21:32

I could have become a metal head when i was younger if i knew of the music i know now...not that i consider myself a metalhead now

metalhead is at time when he/she listens metal, if not then he/she is not
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
Lethrokai

01.11.2013 at 22:26
With questions like this, it's just for the best that we leave the answer as simply "a lot."
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
3rdWorld

01.11.2013 at 22:45
I think atleast all of the people I've met and known in my lifetime (atleast some 500+), I don't think there are even 10 metalheads. Back in my hometown where there is absolutely little or no heavy music penetration in the public media, people do consider rock to be a weird genre and 95 out of 100 people HATE it.

But wait, I haven't clearly met a single metalhead in my life. So take my census of metalheads in India, 0 for 500. You need to go to a bigger number to get a 1.
3rdWorld

01.11.2013 at 22:51
Written by Bad English on 01.11.2013 at 21:48

Written by no one on 01.11.2013 at 21:32

metalhead is at time when he/she listens metal, if not then he/she is not

True metalheads stay converted, even though there may be long period of time when we don't listen to any new or any metal at all one never loses the.... taste for the genre I guess. Then surely he is a metalhead.
no one

02.11.2013 at 05:43
Written by Lethrokai on 01.11.2013 at 22:26

With questions like this, it's just for the best that we leave the answer as simply "a lot."

i know, and then i ask the simple question "where to get metal t shirts" and get no reply's . I suppose good sophisticated questions like this one are just so much more interesting
----
hipster fag
Lethrokai

02.11.2013 at 07:29
Written by no one on 02.11.2013 at 05:43

Written by Lethrokai on 01.11.2013 at 22:26

i know, and then i ask the simple question "where to get metal t shirts" and get no reply's . I suppose good sophisticated questions like this one are just so much more interesting

Heh, could be that no one knows. I sure as hell don't!
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
akvan

05.11.2013 at 10:39
These days something is annoying me,sth which meke me hate metal,metal culture and metalheads,at least in my country,large number of metalheads,bands and albums,with colorful labels,expensive guitars and popular artist and of course reach,long ago metal was different,deep meanings for special ones,today is just for poser guys which hate everything and for feeding their dark lives
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
SongsOfDarkness

05.10.2014 at 07:40
Here in Paraguay, the few metalheads there are some damn selfish, they only listen mainstream bands. No fucking companionship, even more where I live. Now, in Norway or Sweden, is another story, lol, is another world.

If you want to get an idea of ​​the amount of metalheads in the world, look at the average attendance at the biggest metal festivals in the world including Rock Am Ring or Waken, you will draw a smile

Greetings.
Ganondox

05.10.2014 at 07:56
Written by 3rdWorld on 31.10.2013 at 22:58

Wont exceed a couple of millions I guess.

Considering some metal albums sell several million, there would have to be more than that, if everyone who listens to those albums are considered metalheads.
M C Vice
Ex-polydactyl

05.10.2014 at 09:02
Well, lets see. (starts counting) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...
----
"I can hope my ass is made of ice cream, but that don't make me a hot fudge sundae."

"I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "How does he know what I'm thinking?" Well I know everything, and so does your

Advertise on Metal Storm

Login or register to post here.