05. Mars
06. I Believe
07. Moses [feat. Eyesburn]
08. Born Again Anarchist
09. Porrada
10. In The Meantime [Helmet cover]
11. Soulfly IV
12. Wings [feat. Asha Rabouin]

Max Cavalera never seems to disappoint. He could actually be the most reliable metal musician out there - in his long (almost two decades) career, he has never really made an album that anyone could call bad or even mediocre. Actually, pretty much everything he ever did is quite good, to say the least. It therefore comes as no surprise that Soulfy's latest album "Prophecy" follows this trend. Its a generally enjoyable and solid record, filled with powerful and occasionally brilliant songs.

What will likely make Sepultura fans and nu-metal haters happy is that Max seems to be in a Chaos A.D. vibe on large portions of this record. The first 4 tracks could easily fit on the same disc as "Refuse/Resist" and "Propaganda" or "Territory". "Execution Style" even has the trademark 'Arise' era Sepultura riffing in it. On the fifth track, we are finally reminded that this is a Soulfly record as the song develops from the typical hardcore/thrash metal bashing into a mystical, acoustic jam accented by a great flamenco solo and some quality bass courtesy of Dave Ellefson (Megadeth).

I mentioned before that there are some brilliant songs on this album. Indeed, "I Believe" is certainly one such song and one of the most impressive in Max's career. Frankly, it is one of the best metal/ethnic fusions he ever recorded as well as a very well written song, full of interesting tempo and mood changes (and hey, it provides the very first opportunity to hear Max ditch his roar in favor of a clean-voice melo-declamation!). The following track, "Moses" is the other brilliant song on the album. Its a... reggae track! Naturally, it still has a hardcore metal refrain. While reminding me somewhat of what Bad Brains would do, "Moses" is more extreme in both of the musical forms it employs (ie. The reggae is more reggae and the heavy elements are more heavy).

Following these two excellent tracks are two more fast hardcore/thrash numbers, the second one, "Porrada" being especially vicious. A cover of Helmet's "In The Meantime" follows, although it is nowhere near as good as the original. The album is concluded by two more ethereal, atmospheric tracks, namely "Soulfly IV" and "Wings". "Wings" is especially beautiful as it has the very talented Asha Rabouin taking over on vocals (she has appeared on previous Soulfly albums as well). Her voice is very warm and I would only wish more bands decided to include this kind of female vocals on their albums.

Interestingly enough, while the heavy tracks outnumber the more contemplative, introspective ones, it is those softer numbers that actually grab my attention more. But hey, that is most probably the idea. This could be a case of over-interpretation on my part but the way I understand the message of this Soulfly album is that while most people seem to enjoy warfare and fighting (symbolized by the heavy songs here) it is ultimately the issues of faith ("I Believe") and peaceful co-existence (fusions of styles and general experimentation) that prove to be more interesting and attractive. Granted, this is not a very 'metal' sort of message but it is a very positive one and I can only hope that the album will live up to its title. As for how this will make you feel about metal and music in general, well I leave that for you to decide. I can only tell you that its worth checking out.

Written on 10.03.2004 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 118 users
20.05.2006 - 09:41
deathmor
Account deleted
I really like Soulfly and this is a good album.
07.06.2006 - 04:37
Rating: 9
bangladesh

My prefered album, very good
07.06.2006 - 05:46
MaritoM@nson
Account deleted
THE SECOND BEST ALBUM OF SOULFLY.. I THINK DARK AGES IS THEY'RE BEST
10.06.2006 - 18:46
Rating: 7
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
I enjoy Soulfly's music alot, and this is a really good album by them.

"Max Cavalera never seems to disappoint." - I cant argue with that.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
26.04.2008 - 07:57
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
´Porrada isn't singed in spanish..its portuguese...
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
12.05.2008 - 12:05
Rating: 9
Hamird
Lieutenant
very nice review, i think this albums is soulfly's best work. although dark ages was great to, but this album had so many great tracks, and what made me interested in this album was that he came to his old style, thrash metal. nu metal was very cheap for a legend like max cavalera..
02.01.2009 - 02:24
amerislave
Account deleted
Good review......i love this album. and i agree that ......

"Interestingly enough, while the heavy tracks outnumber the more contemplative, introspective ones, it is those softer numbers that actually grab my attention more."

the helmet cover "in the meantime" works really well too.
03.04.2009 - 16:49
kisserisgod
Account deleted
This album SUCKS!!!
Max repeats same riffs AGAIN & AGAIN & AGAIN in all albums!!
¡¡¡SAD BUT TRUE!!!
19.10.2009 - 08:24
andycepeda

Written by Guest on 03.04.2009 at 16:49

This album SUCKS!!!
¡¡¡SAD BUT TRUE!!!

ABSOLUTELY AGREED MAN!!!:bow::bow::bow:
28.01.2010 - 23:36
The great lich

Written by andycepeda on 19.10.2009 at 08:24

Written by Guest on 03.04.2009 at 16:49

This album SUCKS!!!
¡¡¡SAD BUT TRUE!!!

ABSOLUTELY AGREED MAN!!!:bow::bow::bow:

what the f**k are you tlking about....?
it show that you dont understand their musics and lyrics...their music is diffrent from other bands....mixture of traditional musics with modern style and each album has its own theme...and also F**k Metallica........SOULFLY rules... ..
27.08.2010 - 14:14
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Quote:
On the fifth track, we are finally reminded that this is a Soulfly record as the song develops from the typical hardcore/thrash metal bashing into a mystical, acoustic jam accented by a great flamenco solo and some quality bass courtesy of Dave Ellefson (Megadeth).

Oh yeah, the climax of the album!

This acoustic ending is one the finest moments in Soulfly's music, can't get enough of that rithym..
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
26.10.2011 - 08:21
sepulkisser

Another piece of shit!!
28.12.2011 - 16:58
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Haters gonna hate.

this album is quite good, i'd recomend it.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 9581 | This month: 5