Metal Storm logo
Overhauls, Transitions, Metamorphoses

Well, I've seen lots of lists here and I have to say, a noticeable percentage of these lists are great references for anyone interested in music, but I noticed that something new was missing.

What I'm going to do here, is to gather a lot of bands that have gone through major overhauls and transitions in their music, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THEIR MUSIC IS GOOD OR NOT.

As this list is going to be informative, your suggestions and participation is GREATLY APPRECIATED so yeah, it's not your typical favorite album/artist list, it's not your typical best of X, it's going to be done using information.

I'm gonna put a HALL OF FAME for more prominent bands and artists in the scene, although it's more of a blacklist as they won't be added to our list as to make way for lesser known cases. If you have any other suggestions for the HALL OF FAME, then you're welcome. I would sort out the list based on alphabets once we reach a certain number.

HALL OF FAME:
==================
Avenged Sevenfold - Metalcore to heavy metal.
Alcest - Primitive black Metal to shoegazing atmospheric black pop rock or whatever that is.
Amon Amarth - Grindcore, then Johan Hegg happened.
Amorphis - Death metal to a blend of progressive, folk and heavy metal.
Anathema - Death/doom pioneer goes soft and ethereal.
Anthrax - The critically acclaimed New Yorkers turned alternative for a short period of time, but we can still blame them for rap metal.
Bathory - Proto-black metal influenced by Motorhead, became a pioneer of viking metal.
Behemoth - (I'll take the MSer's words for this one) Blackened death metal and of course black metal to death metal.
Burzum - Early black metal to skaldic ambient music.
Celtic Frost - Speed/death/thrash metal to gothic/doom metal.
Cradle Of Filth - black metal (with elements of death metal) to gothic or extreme metal.
Cryptopsy - "The Unspoken King" speaks for itself.
Cynic - Early prog death days overshadowed by a soothing jazz fusion approach.
Death - Obvious even for the average non-metalheads. Pure death metal to progressive extreme metal.
Dimmu Borgir - Symphonic elements were added later to their Norwegian brand of black metal.
Emperor - Dimmu Borgir syndrome.
Empyrium - Added more acoustic guitar to their music.
Entombed - A classic death metal act...suddenly Death N Roll happens. Seriously?
In Flames - I don't even wanna mention what happened there.
Judas Priest -From blues rock into heavy metal.
Katatonia - Black/doom, later playing alternative gothic metal.
Kreator - The industrial experimentations in the 90's were a departure from their teutonic thrash metal sound.
Led Zeppelin - Just like what happened with Judas Priest
Machine Head - Supercharger.
Mayhem - Experimentation, unorthodox transitions, still haunted for not being kvlt anymore.
Metallica - Horseman becomes the table. Thrash metal to...modern heavy/thrash metal. Everyone knows Load and ReLoad but in case you don't, in that period Metallica was hard rock.
Megadeth - Thrash metal to...wait, hard rock? Dave's so angry, he can make everyone disappear by closing his eyes.
Moonspell - Black metal to symphonic gothic metal or whatever you wanna name it.
Morbid Angel- We love you, guys. But we hate industrial death metal, it's as bad as Illud Divinum Insanus.
Neurosis - Hardcore evolving into "post-metal/tribal" music.
Opeth - Progressive extreme metal to 70's rock.
Pain Of Salvation - Taking prog music to a whole new level.
Pantera - Glam, glam, glam. Alright, just the visuals, but the music was more of a bright heavy/hard rock mania anyway.
Paradise Lost - death/doom to electro/gothic and then back to normal, ordinary gothic
Sepultura - Brazilian music is fine, guys. Unfortunately we miss your early thrash albums.
Type O Negative- I'm not sure if "Slow, Deep and Hard" can be considered hardcore gothic or gothic thrash. But that's how they evolved into this industrial/gothic doom band everyone's so fascinated by.
Ulver - Early black/folk metal to avant-garde chamber music.
================

Created by: Monolithic | 08.11.2013

1. Ahab - Starting with The Giant, post-metal elements were added.
2. After Forever - With Floor Jansen being the catalyst here, the dutch band flourished after 1997, only to undergo another shift with the departure of Mark Jansen in 2002 and losing much of their gothic sound and adding progressive music to their symphonic charade.
3. Amoral - Death metal becomes rock.
4. Arcturus - Now everyone knows Garm-era Arcturus was more of a black metal band, don't they?
5. A Storm Of Light - Figured trendy post-metal wouldn't do justice to their talent and went more bombastic.
6. Blut Aus Nord - Another industrial transformation here, from atmo-black that is.
7. Darkthrone - I found it a little surprising that some people weren't aware that Darkthrone started out as a death metal outfit.
8. Dawn Of Ashes - Heaven help us if they decide to go Funeral doom next time.
9. Dirge - Haven't dropped their industrial sound entirely, but it's a little too hard to fit them into that genre anymore.
10. Edenbridge - Power-Prog transition.
11. Enslaved - Black metal meets King Crimson.
12. Fields Of The Nephilim - Amidst the naming issues and the Queensryche-Tate-esque drama, McCoy and the gang released a death metal album titled "Zoon".
13. Forgotten Tomb - Depressive black metal goes gothic metal. I can't help but make a rather small remark here: They lost it.
14. Gorguts - Primitive death metal to thinking man's death metal.
15. Green Carnation - No need to mention what happened there.
16. Haggard - These Germans sprouted wings and escaped from the death metal territory, playing symphonic metal with folk influences.
17. In Mourning - Started out as a gothic band, only to evolve into their current progressive death metal sound.
18. In Solitude - It seems that my most recent favorite band has gone through a noticeable shift in their music. I listened to their self-titled album and the differences are there.
19. Job For A Cowboy - Deathcore to death metal, must have been a relief for those who hate deathcore.
20. Kauan - They seem to have dropped the last traces of their black metal sound. Pirut sounds like borderline funeral/symphonic doom metal.
21. Kekal - Ever-changing, never-failing to disappoint. Avant-garde is more of a state for these folks.
22. Killing Joke - "Extremities, Dirt & Various Repressed Emotions" marked a new chapter in their career with industrial metal becoming a rather permanent fixture in their music.
23. Korn - Alternative metal experts decided to have fun with dropping the bass on "The Path of Totality" but after that, went back to their roots with a melodic aesthetic.
24. Mastodon - Prog/sludge bearded guys turned mostly progressive in their most recent album. They're changing all the time.
25. Napalm Death - Hardcore punk evolving into grindcore.
26. Nemesea - Another symphonic/gothic metal band turning soft...eh I mean, plastic.
27. Orphaned Land - Now just because I have good connections with Chen Balbus, it doesn't mean I will ignore how they went soft to focus on progressive-oriented folk music.
28. Pantheïst - Funeral doom elites took a rather soft shift towards a fusion of doom metal and progressive rock music on their 2011 self-titled album.
29. Pestilence - Dropped their straightforward death metal sound for a more technical sound.
30. Samael - Black metal to electronic and industrial. Switzerland DOES have other bands, besides Celtic Frost and Eluveitie. :D
31. Sentenced - Death metal to...wait,Suomi metal?!
32. Sirenia - Didn't change much. Hang on...yeah, yeah, yeah, they absolutely changed their sound to be more accessible.
33. Summoning - The Austrian black metallers started out as pure primitive black metal, only to add folk elements to play an atmospheric variation of folk/black metal, or "epic" metal.
34. Theatre Of Tragedy - "Beauty and the Beast" metal sacrificed for a more industrial rock approach, only to lose its place to classic gothic metal at the end.
35. The Disciples Of Zoldon - Doom metal getting a little intense. As intense as death metal.
36. The Gathering - Although pretty much prominent, it seems their early death/doom catalog has been overlooked.
37. The Ocean - The German symphonic sludge outfit's music was more primitive in the early days with no symphonic elements.
38. Therion - Therion was also another one of those death metal outfits who traded it with a more majestic approach.
39. Tiamat - Death metal goes dark and atmospheric.
40. Todtgelichter - The German black metallers hard-a-prog'ed to drop some of their primitive, raw sound.
41. Trouble - 80's doom icon, 90's stoner power-house.
42. Ulcerate - Getting a little too brutal there, aren't you guys?
43. Virgin Black - Started out with an operatic approach to Gothic metal, only to evolve their sound into doom metal.
44. While Heaven Wept - Another one of the most recent transitions to take place, utilizing more progressive metal in their music.
45. Wolverine - The Swedish prog band Wolverine played melodic death metal in the early days, before deciding that it would be fun to become a strong contestant in the prog scene.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Monolithic ]

Comments page 3 / 3

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 76   Visited by: 100 users
23.11.2013 - 20:55
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Erik M. on 23.11.2013 at 16:29

Constantine is actually just another account of mine that I created just to convince you of adding those HoF to the real list. You want proof? Look at the one list of Constantine which contains only albums that are among my favourites. I threw one album in there that I don't like (Anathema - Eternity) just to make it less obvious, but I guess I just blew my own cover now.

Then you must suffer my wrath.

Well, I just need a few days to refresh the batteries so expect changes to occur in the next few days.
23.11.2013 - 21:17
Erik M.

Written by Monolithic on 23.11.2013 at 20:55

Then you must suffer my wrath.

Quote:

Well, I just need a few days to refresh the batteries so expect changes to occur in the next few days.

Fair enough. Looking forward to see the result.
25.11.2013 - 09:29
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Guest on 23.11.2013 at 01:16

Ugh, can you please write stuff for the Hall of Fame too? I know only like half of the hall of fame bands

It is done.
25.11.2013 - 22:42
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 25.11.2013 at 19:19

pff, we like the same stuff yet i dont get why you hate on Eternity..
it was my FIRST EVER metal album to listen, its what started it all for me, so i guess im a bit blindfolded on that one . oh well

I listened to Eternity twice and just couldn't get into it at all. But keep in mind I'm actually in the minority here, because most people who like Anathema seem to like that album.
27.11.2013 - 08:46
Syk
myspace/bonerama
I don't really want to sound like the tired, surly bastard I am right now, but I kind of hate the HoF descriptions. So... superficial. I mean, more than half the people probably aren't even listening to the early Pantera JUST because of the visual glam association. I realized it's kind of like GNR... more sleaze and speed/heavy than actual "glam metal" sounds. And the Machine Head transgressions are far more than one little album around Y2K. You haven't mentioned "rock" for Metallica; you say "blues" for Priest... (sorry for the negative tone but I'm reeeaaalllly tired atm)

edit - and I thought CoF was deathish to blackish to gothic-ish... how about slapping (b)(/band) tags around the names?
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
27.11.2013 - 09:18
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Syk on 27.11.2013 at 08:46

I don't really want to sound like the tired, surly bastard I am right now, but I kind of hate the HoF descriptions. So... superficial. I mean, more than half the people probably aren't even listening to the early Pantera JUST because of the visual glam association. I realized it's kind of like GNR... more sleaze and speed/heavy than actual "glam metal" sounds. And the Machine Head transgressions are far more than one little album around Y2K. You haven't mentioned "rock" for Metallica; you say "blues" for Priest... (sorry for the negative tone but I'm reeeaaalllly tired atm)

edit - and I thought CoF was deathish to blackish to gothic-ish... how about slapping (b)(/band) tags around the names?

Yet you and did for that I won't even mind listening to you.
Okay, maybe I should listen to you after all. Nah, I'm kidding, I shouldn't. But maybe I should... Well you got a point on Pantera's case.

As for Judas Priest, if you're not interested in hearing the opinion of a total stranger like me, I'm pretty sure Downing would explain how the first three albums were blues-influenced. From what I heard, Cradle of Filth was more close to black metal than death metal. But you could be right so, I'll just add it, just to be sure.
29.11.2013 - 23:59
Erik M.

Written by Syk on 27.11.2013 at 08:46

I always thought CoF was black and/or gothic and they don't have any (or barely any) death in their sound at all.
04.12.2013 - 11:01
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Blues-influenced - of course they were, just (well, pretty much) like Sabbath ~5 years prior. That doesn't mean they really played blues-rock (in their recorded (verifiable) output). In particular, I think the line "Led Zeppelin - Just like what happened with Judas Priest" is a bit absurd, and such superficial (incorrect) statements nullify the credibility/point you might have hoped to present in such a hefty/time-consuming list. Nice to see you took on the [band] suggestion
----

04.12.2013 - 12:17
Monolithic
♠♠♠
I'm getting a little confused over death metal on CoF. :/ I really need to listen once more to reach a conclusion.
As for Syk:
Written by Syk on 04.12.2013 at 11:01

That doesn't mean they really played blues-rock (in their recorded (verifiable) output). In particular, I think the line "Led Zeppelin - Just like what happened with Judas Priest" is a bit absurd, and such superficial (incorrect) statements nullify the credibility/point you might have hoped to present in such a hefty/time-consuming list.

Well I'm not saying that they explicitly played pure blues-rock, but it's rather a noticeable transcending element in their music. Rocka Rolla would serve as a good example to prove that the bluesy rock elements were still there although it was Judas Priest's capability to make a bridge between that and what was evolving into heavy metal at that time. I mean the blues rock is imminent in songs like "'One For The Road". I don't think it would be totally wrong to mention that, however I'm beginning to think if it needs more elaboration.
07.12.2013 - 10:31
Syk
myspace/bonerama
More elaboration on Priest: *cough* to say nothing of their last seven albums? (edit - two more good additions came to mind: Korn & Kekal)
----

07.12.2013 - 21:47
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Syk on 07.12.2013 at 10:31

More elaboration on Priest: *cough* to say nothing of their last seven albums? (edit - two more good additions came to mind: Korn & Kekal)

Using Marcel's superpowers does not work on me. but ok,
I'll fix it somehow. Thanks for the suggestions too. I'm as dead as the undead so you can expect a major revamp tomorrow morning.

EDIT: No internet connection for the next few days. I'll probably fix it by the end of the week. Also I did NOT ignore their last seven albums.
27.01.2014 - 13:03
Zap
Off the top of my head, I would say Mastodon, they change it up every album.
Just compare the first track of album #1 and album #4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zelLBnqcvzY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i65fMJh2pg
27.01.2014 - 13:36
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Zap on 27.01.2014 at 13:03

Off the top of my head, I would say Mastodon, they change it up every album.
Just compare the first track of album #1 and album #4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zelLBnqcvzY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i65fMJh2pg

Why didn't I think of Mastodon at all? They definitely changed. Into the list they go.
27.01.2014 - 14:49
Zap
Written by Monolithic on 27.01.2014 at 13:36

Why didn't I think of Mastodon at all? They definitely changed. Into the list they go.

Yay, me do contribute ^^
04.03.2014 - 04:15
Coolingsrock

I would say behemoth changed since their first release.
04.03.2014 - 08:03
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Coolingsrock on 04.03.2014 at 04:15

I would say behemoth changed since their first release.

Yep. Even MS confirms it. Added

Hits total: 2665 | This month: 4