05. Hearts Of Light
06. Sepia Mountains For Her Lament
07. Closer
08. Avoiding Winter
09. Starlit Spirits

Staff review by
Troy Killjoy
Rating:
I don't know if you guys have been paying attention, but in case you haven't noticed around here, An Autumn For Crippled Children is becoming quite the household name. They aren't exactly the most renowned band on the planet, but they are certainly making strides.

Read more ››
published 22.11.2013 | Comments (46)

Found in 25 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 40   Visited by: 335 users
16.11.2013 - 18:55
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Interesting, gotta listen to this, I own all their other CDs so, but the cover art was kinda.. Dunno..
16.11.2013 - 19:28
Rating: 7
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Fallen Ghost on 16.11.2013 at 18:55
but the cover art was kinda...

...extremely reflective of the music. The melancholic atmosphere is still present, but the melodies take on a much more uplifting tone. I know a lot of metalheads might cringe at the word "beautiful" when it comes to describing an album, but if you're looking for something capable of making you feel a mix of euphoria and angst then this comes highly recommended.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.11.2013 - 19:32
Rating: 8
InnerSelf
proofread free
Judging by the Hearts Of Light/Blossoms EP I'm really looking forward to this ... was afraid they lost it after the rather boring Only The Ocean Knows but that EP was great.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
16.11.2013 - 19:37
Rating: 9
angel.
Evil Butterfly
In one word : amazing!
----
The Fangirl.
16.11.2013 - 21:39
MechanisT
Account deleted
How the hell did I miss this before? No matter. Gotta work on that. Everything (and Lost too) were some excellent atmospheric black, though can't say the same about its follow-up.
17.11.2013 - 19:35
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
A fantastic piece of work. Just when I thought I had my AOTY narrowed down to 5 albums this monster surfaces. Love the sound!
----
rekt
17.11.2013 - 22:13
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.11.2013 at 19:28

but the cover art was kinda...

...extremely reflective of the music. The melancholic atmosphere is still present, but the melodies take on a much more uplifting tone. I know a lot of metalheads might cringe at the word "beautiful" when it comes to describing an album, but if you're looking for something capable of making you feel a mix of euphoria and angst then this comes highly recommended.

Have nothing against beauty in music, but the coverart was totally different from what they have done before, still looking forward to listen to the album;)
17.11.2013 - 22:18
angel.
Evil Butterfly

but the cover art was kinda.. Dunno..

For me the cover art seems very justly beautiful.
----
The Fangirl.
18.11.2013 - 00:14
Rating: 10
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 16.11.2013 at 21:39

How the hell did I miss this before?

Ex-fucking-actly.

One of my favourite bands.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.11.2013 - 00:44
Uldreth

Quote:
Written by Fallen Ghost on 17.11.2013 at 22:13

Have nothing against beauty in music, but the coverart was totally different from what they have done before, still looking forward to listen to the album;)

How so? Everything also had flora on its art, just perhaps a bit different style. But flowers are totally appropriate for this kind of music.

I don't really listen to stuff like this anymore these days but I think I have to check this, as I really really loved Everything.
19.11.2013 - 22:41
InnerSelf
proofread free
Thank god they're back in shape, beautiful album.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
20.11.2013 - 14:56
PocketMetal

At some point I had to stop it because I couldn't take all the awesomeness.
21.11.2013 - 00:00
Michaelis

When I find this album I Was very suprise, still can't stop listening.
23.11.2013 - 21:47
hadriel

Fantastic. Wasn't as huge a fan of their last album, but this one is stellar!
25.11.2013 - 23:02
Erik M.

Everyone seems to like this... including me. Extremely warm and relaxing album, I like it a lot.

But totally not "depressing black" or "experimental doom" to me. I'd call this blackened post/shoegaze if anything and that's way more accurate than the current genre-tags.
26.11.2013 - 00:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Erik M. on 25.11.2013 at 23:02
But totally not "depressing black" or "experimental doom" to me. I'd call this blackened post/shoegaze if anything and that's way more accurate than the current genre-tags.

Agreed. There really isn't anything experimental about these guys at all, aside from their debut album perhaps, when the whole shoegaze-influenced black metal thing wasn't as big.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.11.2013 - 06:28
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Erik M. on 25.11.2013 at 23:02

Extremely warm and relaxing album, I like it a lot.

Warm ?!
----
The Fangirl.
26.11.2013 - 15:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by angel. on 26.11.2013 at 06:28
:wall: Warm ?!

I would definitely describe this as warm (as evidenced by my review). Listen to the latest Paysage d'Hiver if you want an example of a "cold" album.
----
26.11.2013 - 21:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Definitely a fuzzy and warm album in the same way some shoegaze bands like... Let's say My Bloody Valentine sound like.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
26.11.2013 - 21:41
God Alone

Don't know why but their previous works weren't that interesting, imo.
This one on the other hand is really fascinating. Let's see if it will stand the test of time. 7,5
26.11.2013 - 21:52
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
This album is almost perfect for me. It manages to just overwhelm me when I'm listening, the warm and harsh guitar tone flows well over top of the almost programmed sounding drums. The vocals are subtle and wretched.

Damn I love this.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.11.2013 - 23:16
Erik M.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.11.2013 at 00:08

Agreed. There really isn't anything experimental about these guys at all, aside from their debut album perhaps, when the whole shoegaze-influenced black metal thing wasn't as big.

Hehe, good to see you agree seeing as some people disagreed with me when I said the exact same thing in the shoutbox.
27.11.2013 - 23:17
Erik M.

Written by angel. on 26.11.2013 at 06:28

Warm ?!

Yes, warm. Not as warm as, say, Angels of Distress (warmest funeral doom ever created, probably ) but still very warm and relaxing, like Troy describes in his review. But I like "warm" albums... like some favourites of mine such as the debuts of Alcest, Empyrium, Kauan (or anything else they made, probably) and Saturnus, and Penumbra's Seclusion.

Albums I'd call cold would be Marrow of the Spirit, Dance of December Souls and Blut Aus Nord albums (maybe all of them?), to name a few.
27.11.2013 - 23:17
Erik M.

Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.11.2013 at 21:08

Definitely a fuzzy and warm album in the same way some shoegaze bands like... Let's say My Bloody Valentine sound like.

Indeed, it has the same effect on me. Dammit, someone change the misleading genre-tags. Oh, and nuke the votes of that one vote abuser (yes, to me it's obvious vote abuse).
27.11.2013 - 23:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Erik M. on 27.11.2013 at 23:17
(yes, to me it's obvious vote abuse).

Unfortunately we can't just nuke a vote like this since the majority of his votes are within the rules. It would be easier if he tanked AAFCC's discography like he did with System of a Down earlier.
----
27.11.2013 - 23:39
Erik M.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.11.2013 at 23:32

Unfortunately we can't just nuke a vote like this since the majority of his votes are within the rules. It would be easier if he tanked AAFCC's discography like he did with System of a Down earlier.

Hmmm yes, I've seen way more obvious vote abusers on here, that much is true. To me it's always suspicious when I see someone handing out 1's to albums (I never heard any album that deserves less than a 3... but then again, I try to only listen to music that I like ), especially when those are new albums. Totally pathetic that some people care so much about the top 20 ranking of the current year that they resort to vote abuse...
27.11.2013 - 23:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Erik M. on 27.11.2013 at 23:39
Totally pathetic that some people care so much about the top 20 ranking of the current year that they resort to vote abuse...

Ya I prefer to spend my time enjoying music rather than worrying about where an album ranks on a chart on a website, but everyone has their hobbies.
----
28.11.2013 - 00:03
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.11.2013 at 23:52

Ya I prefer to spend my time enjoying music rather than worrying about where an album ranks on a chart on a website, but everyone has their hobbies.

This. Couldn't have said it any better.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.11.2013 - 22:56
MechanisT
Account deleted
I still prefer their first two over this one. Maybe it'll grow on me, maybe not. Let's see.
06.01.2014 - 16:53
musicalkaratekid

Beautiful album, very atmospheric, and epic in all the right places. It's certainly lifted my spirits that's for sure, although that's probably not what the band intended when making this album. Definitely one of the better albums I've listened to from this genre for a long, long while.

Hits total: 7924 | This month: 11