Metal Storm logo
Nightingale

08.01.2007 - 12:20
Eternal Flames

Nightingale, the side-project of Dan Swano (Edge Of Sanity, Pan.Thy.Monium), is a progressive rock/metal band. Initially starting out as a solo project, Swano recorded the first album "The Breathing Shadow" by himself. Following the release of the debut album, he was joined by his own brother Dag Swano (Tom Nouga) and the two recorded the next two albums. It wasn't until their fourth album "Alive Again" that they recruited a full line-up.

I heard this band about a year ago and ever since they have been one of my favourites. Every album is just nothing short of pure brilliance. As most probably already know, Dan Swano is just a genius. And with Nightingale, he creates something innovative and original. It's a very eccentric style of progressive metal. I hadn't heard anything like it when I first heard it. I wasn't too sure whether to put this in the melodic metal or rock thread as Nightingale have a very big prog rock sound. It's also got a very big 70's prog influence. If you haven't heard the band yet, I really recommend them. "I" and "Alive Again" would definitely be my recommendations of albums to start with. However, being quite the concept band, it would be wise to start off with their first album.

So anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on Nightingale? And also what are your thoughts on the concept they have continued with the first few albums?
08.01.2007 - 13:32
ylside

I discovered Nightingale while digging for other Swanö projects. So far I've heard The Breathing Shadow and Invisible. Invisible was a great album however I dont know why it has that specific "radio friendly" athmosphere that annoys me a bit.
I could say I have a favorite song from them, it's Raincheck on my Demise.
Also check youtube for a 14 mins compiled Live In Cyprus.
All in all a decent band in my opinion.
08.01.2007 - 14:12
Eternal Flames

Raincheck on my Demise is a great song. I really suggest you give "I" a listen though. I think you will enjoy that album. And thank you for letting me know about the video on youtube. I just watched it and it is absolutely amazing. They sound so good live.
09.01.2007 - 18:46
ylside

noprobs. could you please tell me the name of the song that was played first in that Cyprus live ? (the one who begins with a guitar solo by Dan and then Dag)
09.01.2007 - 19:37
Daru Jericho

They're pretty good (but what else do you expect from Dan Swano?). They have this heavy metal side to them as well rather than being a straight out prog metal band so it makes it a bit more unique IMO.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

10.01.2007 - 02:37
Eternal Flames

Written by ylside on 09.01.2007 at 18:46

noprobs. could you please tell me the name of the song that was played first in that Cyprus live ? (the one who begins with a guitar solo by Dan and then Dag)

Yeah, that was "Into The Light"
13.01.2007 - 02:24
ReckoningWinter

I love this band, I think it's interesting to hear this other Dan Swanö's facet, because he had been in a lot of Extreme Metal bands. I think Swanö has a special vocal range, and he does it very well, he can do Death Metal growls, Heavy/Power vocals or melodic clean voices, like in this band.
15.02.2007 - 19:53
marillionfan
Account deleted
I like this band a lot; it's got a pretty original sound. I've listened and enjoyed most of their albums. Once again, well done Dan Swano.

BTW, those who enjoy Nightingale, could/should check out another Dan Swano project - Unicorn. Very good prog-rock IMO.
06.06.2007 - 07:32
Eternal Flames

Anyone else heard their new album "White Darkness"? I've only given it one listen so far, but from first impressions it's sounding good. Not as heavy as some of their earlier stuff, but it's definitely very melodic. I still need to give it a few more listens and decipher it properly, but for the moment, I think it's very good. Slightly different from the previous work (more prog-ish) but regardless it's still very good. It's got some really nice acoustic passages too.
06.06.2007 - 12:09
Warman
Erotic Stains
I've only heard the album Invisible and it's horrible, so bad that I laughed my ass off the first time I heard it. The only good song (it's great actually) is Stalingrad.
----
08.06.2007 - 19:49
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
@Eternal Flames: I just recently got my hands on "White Darkness" it's amazing! I liked every single second of it! And I really like their older stuff also. It's a great band actually Best Prog. Rock I've heard, I say prog. rock because it's more rock rather than metal. The best Prog. Metal band I like is either Dream Theater or Pyramaze, I'm not quite sure
16.06.2007 - 17:33
Eternal Flames

@Reconciler - Glad to see more people enjoying their music.""White Darkness" has been growing on me more and more with each listen. I do agree with you that they have a more prog rock sound, however, certain songs still seem to be between rock and metal.

@Warman - It took me a while to get into "Invisible" myself. I didn't like it from first listen, however after quite a few listens I started to enjoy it. It's still not one of my favourites by them though. "Alive Again" is one of the best in my opinion. Although, I suppose if you really didn't like "Invisible", there's really no point in checking out their other albums because there's not too much change in style in the other albums.
27.07.2007 - 14:45
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Nightingale has posted two "making of" video clips documenting the recording sessions for the group's recently released sixth album, "White Darkness" (Black Mark). You can see them here: Part 1 and Part 2.
25.01.2008 - 00:29
RockeRoy

is it only on their first album he uses a drum machine?
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
28.01.2008 - 03:53
Eternal Flames

Written by RockeRoy on 25.01.2008 at 00:29

Yes. On the second album, Dan played the drums himself.
28.01.2008 - 04:25
RockeRoy

Written by Eternal Flames on 28.01.2008 at 03:53

Ok, and every album after that right?
----

Walk with me in hell
28.01.2008 - 14:37
Eternal Flames

Written by RockeRoy on 28.01.2008 at 04:25

Written by Eternal Flames on 28.01.2008 at 03:53

Ok, and every album after that right?

Not on every album. He played the drums on "The Closing Chronicles" and "I". From "Alive Again" onwards, Tom Bjorn played drums I believe.
28.01.2008 - 17:05
RockeRoy

ok. thanx
----

Walk with me in hell
18.03.2008 - 15:26
ylside

I'm going through White Darkness, sounds great !!
27.03.2008 - 13:05
DonTheo

I bought "White Darkness" some months ago and I thought it was great! Then I bought "Invisible" and "Alive Again" albums but I found them disappointing, although tracks like "Raincheck on My Demise" and "Stalingrad" are good songs!
14.08.2008 - 23:44
takewarning

'White Darkness' was interesting but 'Alive Again' is a sick album, 'Shadowland Serenade is progressive as hell.