08. In Between
09. Feed On Me
10. Subterfuge
11. Lost And Found
12. Cyberface
13. Metal Messiah
14. What's My Name [Japanese and Australian bonus]
15. Rapid Fire [German and Australian bonus]
16. The Green Manalishi (With The Two-Pronged Crown) [Fleetwood Mac cover cover] [German and Australian bonus]

So here is the second studio release from Judas Priest with Tim "The Ripper" Owens on vocal duties and four years after its powerful predecessor "Jugulator".

The album kicks off in strong and promising form with fast paced opener "Machine Man" chugging along for five minutes, but then seems to run out of inspiration by the time of the second track "One On One" which seems to drag on in a very un-Judas Priest fashion.
"Hell Is Home" and "Close To You" present Tim singing in a different way to the previous album - in a slower and somewhat self-pitying manner that I feel put more fans off then it did attract more.
The songs are unlike that of "Jugulator" - an album that I was kind to and praised greatly. These songs are of a slower pace and lack interesting guitars, drums or vocals. However if they were to stick to the same formula of the previous album they may have received more criticism as it used the same formula of the album before it.

"Bloodsuckers" is a higher point on the album displaying a bit more aggression, and then following that is quite an interesting song "In Between". This song uses Tim's slower singing in a sort of ballad style, I am quite confident people will either like the song or dislike it strongly so I would say this song is the acid test for the album.
"Subterfuge" is probably the heaviest song on the album and it is followed by "Lost And Found", probably the softest and most ballad-like on the album.

What this album is is an attempt to break away from the same formula of guitar and double bass drumming of the previous two albums and present the listener with something a bit different. It has succeeded in being different but seemingly lacks over all inspiration and is therefore a little boring in places after such a promising start with "Machine Man" even though a few new and different aspects may be rather enjoyable.
This album is not great, but it isn't terrible either. After a few listens you may warm to it a little but it still remains the most uninspired work Judas Priest has put out over their (at this point) 27 years since their first album was released.

Best tracks: "Machine Man" "Bloodsuckers" "Metal Messiah"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Baz Anderson | 08.01.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 132 users
08.01.2007 - 20:54
Baz Anderson

it will be interesting to hear what others think of this album..
let me hear your opinions
08.01.2007 - 21:13
Rating: 7
Charly546

well this album isn't very good, probably the worst (jugulator wasen't very good either) Judas Priest has done, most tracks are medicore or even below that, but i found that it holds a few good tracks too - Metal Messiah and Machine Man
09.01.2007 - 12:58
Rating: 8
jawbreaker

I think that this album isn't so bad. Production is great. Sound is very modern and Tim is singing well. Maybe it's too long, but I don't think that it is the weakest Priest album. The best tracks are probably Machine Man, Hell is Home, Jekyll and Hyde, Bloodsuckers, Cyberface and Metal Messiah.
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 9
Overall impression: 8
24.02.2007 - 07:08
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I heard one song just now, and it sounded a lot like Dio. I'm definitely going to check out the Ripper-era Priest albums now.
19.08.2007 - 00:39
Rating: 8
Murder

the album is good!... I like the tracks which Baz named "best tracks" these are the best songs for me in this album...

I think this is a good revolution in the Heavy metal style... more agressive and powerful XD
21.06.2018 - 06:02
Rating: 9
Sepulnation

I love it!
----
fuck shit up!

Hits total: 10157 | This month: 13