Disc I
01. Blood, Phlegm And Vomit
02. 21st Century Ineptia
03. Deceived Idealism

Disc II
01. Hang These Bastards
02. Don't Hope For Any Better Things Now
03. The Higher We Climb, The Harder We Fall

This ain't no pussy thing. It's colossal, uncompromising and it's one of those ferocious, filthy ones that makes you crave for a constant rough aural satisfaction.

A steady rise, development and expansion of the French underground extreme scene in the last few years is evident and has definitely built firm fundamentals and put out many diverse high-quality releases (especially in the black and doom metal territory). One of those bands that, without a doubt, belong to this field are the heavyweights of death doom metal, providers of extreme crushing music? the mighty Funeralium.

After almost 6 years of draught, their second full-length, a double CD release - Deceived Idealism - is out. Well, it had been released already, a year ago now. Justified or not, it might have been difficult to expect that Funeralium could surpass and upgrade their devastating self-titled debut (at least in my thoughts), but I came to a firm and simple conclusion after several listens to this product - they have nailed it.

The first part (CD 1) of this double album begins with a short-lived screaming intro "Blood, Phlegm And Vomit", followed by two 20+ minute opuses - "21st Century Ineptia" and "Deceived Idealism", which will suck you into the mind-blowing journey and a vortex through a blissful atmosphere of crushing doom. These two tracks contain a couple of radical changes, which can be spotted from one aspect as powerful slow hard-hitting drums and tortured resounding guitar riffs, and, from the other aspect, as "impatient" whipping (sometimes double-bassed) drums, combined with expediting and tireless roughness of the riffs. Those can, on some occasions, turn to the more emotional side, which normally leaves no trace behind. The introduction into the second part of this release belongs to the track "Hang These Bastards", probably the most accessible one within this set. Closing this monster are the slowly penetrating "Don't For Any Better Thing Now" and "The Higher We Climb, The Harder We Fall", which share a resemblance with the aforementioned tracks "21st Century Ineptia" and "Deceived Idealism". From time to time, filling the space in between, some easily balanced light parts can be heard, calming down the spine-chilling agitated ambience.

Despite this being a more than stable and compact death doom output, it still has occasional tendencies toward the funeral doom zone (which was more present in their debut), with some enviable and damn-well executed death metal passages. All this flavoured with deep, horrifying growls and asphyxiating, tortured screams on the other side.

Funeralium's Deceived Idealism offers 88 minutes of pure organic and ominous sound. Unequivocally it's a well-produced effort that represents the French romance in its own way and it may not bring the instant gratification for some, however the final erection is granted. Explore it, consume it and be charmed.

Written on 10.12.2013 by Attending all sorts of music events is my thing.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 297 users
10.12.2013 - 12:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Quote:

Well, it had been released already, a year ago now.

No it wasn't released in 2012. But originally it was intended to be released back then but the record label somehow pushed it back to February 2013. Promos of the album were, hoever, sent around in October 2012.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.12.2013 - 12:47
Abattoir

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.12.2013 at 12:42

Quote:

Well, it had been released already, a year ago now.

No it wasn't released in 2012. But originally it was intended to be released back then but the record label somehow pushed it back to February 2013. Promos of the album were, hoever, sent around in October 2012.

Now I see, I meant almost and not already February release was the one in my thoughts...
12.12.2013 - 02:34
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Seems pretty awesome. I like when, Don't Hope For Any Better Things Now kicks into the faster tempo.
----
Coldgrits
14.12.2013 - 17:44
KC

Great stuff - check out Ataraxie too while you're at it, the bands have much in common, including band members!
----
Transcending Obscurity Records | PR Company | Online Magazine (est 2005)

http://www.tometal.com
http://www.facebook.com/transcendingobscurity
15.12.2013 - 18:03
Abattoir

Written by KC on 14.12.2013 at 17:44

Great stuff - check out Ataraxie too while you're at it, the bands have much in common, including band members!

Yeah I know, I'm familiar with them and their music very well.
15.12.2013 - 20:18
Rating: 8
InnerSelf
proofread free
Funeralium all the way, although I enjoy Ataraxie on some occasions Funeralium, for me, is the better band by a stretch and this album is a monster. I actually prefer it to the debut.
love the review
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
16.12.2013 - 02:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by InnerSelf on 15.12.2013 at 20:18

I actually prefer it to the debut.

So do I, even though the debut was so much nastier.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.12.2019 - 13:57
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Trying to understand the reviewer here If you put a big, big cock in to the pussy maybe it expands and gets more colossal. In that case, with the cock inside its pussy, then this maybe could be called a pussy album? And if it isnt a pussy thing, maybe its the anal that craves for constant rough satisfaction?

Hits total: 6043 | This month: 17