Band: Everlasting
Album: March Of Time
Style: Funeral doom metal
Release date: October 2013

01. Remaining In Ground
02. The Great Contradiction
03. March Of Time
04. Silence

Not to be confused with one half of the former House Of Pain, Rostov-on-(Doom)-Don's Everlasting doom around, doom around. Doom up doom up and feel down. Yo.

March Of Time, their debut, features a nice, warm, calm sunset to treat the listener before the feel bad begins. The cover also heralds the basic premise of the album. Time waits for no man, time marches on for whom the bell tolls, chicken in my head*, Doctor Whooooooo-hey! Doctor Who!, insert more time lyrics here.

Their music is beautiful and mournful. Not soulcrushing or mortifying, but rather the sweet sounds of sorrow. Tunes are mostly slow, as one would expect, with (insert another adjective for sad I haven't used yet) leads and "touching" keys. And no bass. Nope. None at all.

Vocals are mostly roared, rasped, or growled, but they also employ the low speak/whisper to add a creep factor.

And while mostly slow, an extended portion of "Remaining In Ground" is played at a midpaced black metal clip, making for a nice, albeit temporary, change in mood.

The overall sound is nothing new, perhaps a slightly less sweet Shape Of Despair with a little more edge to it. What matters is less originality and more ability to convey emotion. I've listened to a lot of similar artists over the last couple years and the vibe I get from Everlasting is better than most. Although I will admit the biggest downer I get in relation to this release is when it ends and the next in my queue of infinite review starts up.

But that's a tale for another time. And artist.

In the meantime, if you've enjoyed some of the other more "extreme Dewm" acts I've reviewed over the last 24 months, it's worth your time to "this one march of time at bandcamp".

*C'mon, the first time you heard Anthrax cover of "Got The Time" you thought that's what they were singing.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 13.12.2013 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 88 users
14.12.2013 - 11:47
Nice album, especially for a band with no bass player, and on the more relaxing and depressive side of doom, and good description... highly recommended if you are looking for something to relax to...

Hits total: 4528 | This month: 6