Metal Storm logo
Superjoint Ritual

10.01.2007 - 07:21
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
Is anybody familiar with this band ? Well, i really like them...First of all i should say this is one of Phil Anselmo's smaller bands, in which he used to "jam" even when he was still with Pantera, then he used play after their break-up...They are a thrash metal band ( thou some, including Anselmo, say they are heavy ) with fucking attitude, and core-like sound...underground and raw.Like i said, they are thrashy but still have many other influences, from black metal bands like Venom, Celtic Frost and Darkthrone ( as the band claims )...Of course you will hear Anselmo on vocals, with his fucking pissed off attitude and his weed influenced lyrics...The thing i like about them is that they are ( and i have allready said ) raw, brutall in some way or another and don't give a fuck...Of course it lacks the tehnicality Pantera had, but still you can hear good music from small "project" bands like this one...

If there is anyone who knows a thing or two and wan'ts to enter the disscution, please do so...
11.01.2007 - 04:28
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
You know...I used to really like this band, but right when I heard A Lethal Dose Of American Hatred, I kinda lost interest. I think their first album, Use Once And Destroy, is pretty good. It's fast and angry, with a lot of time changes. The music sounds almost random sometimes, but I think it adds to the personality. Phil has lost his voice for the most part, so I guess it was a good thing for them to split up.
11.01.2007 - 07:44
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
Yeah, i know what you are sayin', Use Once and Destroy is my favorite too, but still i like them...and about Phil's voice, i can't say he's lost it entirely but i can say it changed...ah and almost forgot, i don't consider A lethal dose of... a weak album but mught say the repetitive 1 2 3 4 at the start of each song gets on my nerves...( either i've got a stupid version, or it like that for real )
11.01.2007 - 21:05
_HIV_

when i first heard this band i was like ... these guys realy kick ass!!! and then i noticed phil ... and then i bought 2 of their records! i prefer Use Once and Destroy! my favorite songs are Creepy Crawl and Dress like a Target!
Phil "fuckin" Anselmo kicks ass!
12.01.2007 - 12:37
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
Of course he does, but still Superjoint Ritual and Down are not even half of what Pantera was in its good old days...still Phil does soung interesting, but not so diverse...
13.01.2007 - 07:16
Zombie, M.D.

I seem to be one of the few that prefers Superjoint Ritual over the other Anselmo related projects. Use Once and Destroy is a great intense record, though it can be pretty one dimensional. Use Once and Destroy is the kind of album that makes me want to go out and kick a puppy after listening to it.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
13.01.2007 - 18:14
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
well, only a puppy ?
14.01.2007 - 03:25
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I really have enjoyed SJR over the years, I remember when it was just a bootleg of demo's kicking around online, and then they finally released "Use Once & Destroy." The name Superjoint Ritual is taken from the Darkthrone song "The Pagan Winter"

"Horned Master of Endless Time
Summon thy Unholy Disciples
Trained for Centuries to Come.
Gather on the highest Mountain
United by Hatred;
The final Superjoint Ritual..."

SJR is fucking raw, the influence are definitely more than just weed, don't forget that Phil was a long time heroin abuser, has lived a bit of a rough life and he's just a pretty dark character. I really like the simplicity in the lyrics and music itself, it's fast, hard and raw, but it can also be extremely melancholy and dark, with songs such as "Absorbed" and "The Destruction Of A Person" amongst other tracks.
I wouldn't necassarily say I like SJR more than Pantera but I like them about the same, and I find them to be on differant planes than one another, I also really enjoy Down since about '98 or '99 and can't wait for the new album. Yeah Phils voice is differant now, but when he does try he still has the ability to actually sing, perhaps not CFH capabilities but what can you do. I recently heard a live rendition of "Ghost Along The Mississippi" on Down's MySpace page and I've got to say that Phil did a really poor job singing, he was probably drunk as usual.