07. Три сестры / Three Sisters
08. Хиромантия / Chiromanсy
09. Tру / True
10. Качели / The Swing
11. Ракета Для Поэта / A Rocket For A Poet
12. Скачать Бесплатно / Free Download
13. Просточеловек / Justhuman
14. Ангел Или Демон / Angel Or Demon [bonus]

It would take me four or five reviews to explain everything I think about Шестой, so I shall try to keep it simple. Ladies and gentlemen, I know what my album of the year is.

Шестой sounds to me like a cross-section of The SLoT's last three albums (not counting Break The Code). "Сочи" and "Три сестры" sound like dance remixes of songs from Тринити, "Скачать бесплатно" would fit comfortably on the second half of F5, and "Old School" was practically lifted from 4ever. It is wonderful to hear a band explore so many sounds and then wrap them up in this sort of overview - though of course they bring some new tricks, as always. The guitars, bass, and drums are all heavy, crunchy, and driving, but are not afraid to exercise some spacey-ness on songs like "Три сестры" or scale back for the cool, calm "Качели"; as usual, keyboards help drive the melodies, and the songs collect many different influences from the world of metal and beyond.

Without a doubt, the most remarkable aspect of Шестой are the vocals. Nookie has always been one of my favorite singers, but her style on 2 Wars sticks out in my mind as her best work. She began her career in The SLoT with a gritty, raw, and aggressive approach that brought a lot of heaviness to the band. Over the next few albums, she developed a cleaner, more operatic style that certainly worked better for the different material and still places her head-and-shoulders above nearly everyone else - but when "Бой!" started up I practically fell out of my seat. The harshness is back, and what a glorious return to this style Nookie has made. Not everywhere, of course, but any resurgence is long overdue and very welcome. Cache does not get enough credit for his vocals, which are a vital part of The SLoT; his performance here is also his best in ages.

Шестой is what would happen if Christmas, freshly-baked cookies, finding $100 on the ground, and warm, toasty socks all got together to make an album. In other words, wondrous. It raps, it rasps, it rocks, it rolls, it raves, it rules. For about 40 seconds towards the end of "Old School," it becomes Sepultura in a totally unprecedented left turn that practically threw me out of my chair. Again. This is easily The SLoT's best album since Тринити and easily my favorite release of 2013. I tried to devise a list of highlights, but I ended up naming half the album and recommending the other half anyway. "Бой!" and "Скачать бесплатно" are the two best, but the entire album is well worth a listen.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written on 27.12.2013 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 45   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 380 users
30.12.2013 - 20:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.12.2013 at 20:36

Written by xxxAtticusxxx on 30.12.2013 at 18:30
ScreamingsteelUS is a fucking moron perfect 10 really ?????

You've been here less than a week and have already managed to directly insult one of our reviewers. Good job!

Mmm, he registered on Christmas day 2011 Not 2013
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.12.2013 - 21:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.12.2013 at 20:50
Mmm, he registered on Christmas day 2011 Not 2013

Pffff, the rest still stands. haha

SSUS I still think this album sucks but good on ya for sticking true to your tastes.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.12.2013 - 21:23
Rating: 10
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.12.2013 at 21:00

SSUS I still think this album sucks but good on ya for sticking true to your tastes.

Ha. Thanks. I never expected to incur this much wrath, though as long as I haven't permanently damaged my credibility as a reviewer I don't mind that much.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
30.12.2013 - 21:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 30.12.2013 at 21:23
Ha. Thanks. I never expected to incur this much wrath, though as long as I haven't permanently damaged my credibility as a reviewer I don't mind that much.

Considering some of the reviews I've published and that some people apparently still care about what I have to say about new music, it'll take a lot more than a somewhat fanboyish review of a nu metal band to discredit you.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.12.2013 - 21:38
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.12.2013 at 21:35

Considering some of the reviews I've published and that some people apparently still care about what I have to say about new music, it'll take a lot more than a somewhat fanboyish review of a nu metal band to discredit you.

I think "somewhat fanboyish" is a bit of an understatement, but that's good to hear.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
30.12.2013 - 22:26
Ivor
Staff
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 30.12.2013 at 21:38

I think "somewhat fanboyish" is a bit of an understatement, but that's good to hear.

Next time omit the rating for such a review and you're in the clear.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
30.12.2013 - 22:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Ivor brings up a good point. Drop the rating altogether or give this less than a 9 and people will likely bitch much less about it.

Or quit reviewing. Or kill yourself.

But I'd probably just keep doing what you're doing.
----
30.12.2013 - 22:59
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Not a bad idea.

Dropping the rating, not the other things.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
30.12.2013 - 23:16
Ivor
Staff
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 30.12.2013 at 22:59

Dropping the rating, not the other things.

I've felt writing comes more naturally when you don't have to justify the number going along with it. I have to say one thing, though. This kind of review and bitching gets people to check out the album. Look at poor little Rod, went in head and heels into the stuff he now hates passionately.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
02.01.2014 - 22:06
Kosst Amojan

I just have listened to this album, and different musical tastes aside, this is surely the most biased review I had ever read on MS, and I'm here quiet a long time. Next time, especially if you're planning to review another hard rock/nu metal album, just omit the scores, and post a big warning sign: "nu metal ahead!"
All that put aside, this is well written, although biased review, and I'm glad you like russian bands (this one especially, as I can see). Russia has more than a few good bands which sings in russian, like Arkona, Comatose Vigil, or in finnish, like Kauan, or even in some extinct sumerian language (Ea, you can see now what are my musical preferences), and russian as a metal lyrics language is quite fit for that role.
All that said, I must exclaim that this is first and a last time that I have listened to this band. There's no much difference between Слот and their american nu-metal counterparts, like Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit, or even Marylin Manson, so, next time, just put that warning banner ahead your nu-metal album review, and all shall be just fine...
02.01.2014 - 22:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
ALL reviews ARE biased learn to live with it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.01.2014 - 22:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Kosst Amojan on 02.01.2014 at 22:06
There's no much difference between Слот and their american nu-metal counterparts, like Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit, or even Marylin Manson

Wow, did you even bother to listen to the album? Because anyone could tell that their style is waaaaaay different than all the bands you mentioned, no matter if you like it or not (and I hate this album).
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.01.2014 - 22:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.01.2014 at 22:55
Wow, did you even bother to listen to the album? Because anyone could tell that their style is waaaaaay different than all the bands you mentioned, no matter if you like it or not (and I hate this album).

My comment must not have posted but I remember quoting this post saying pretty much the same thing. Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Marylin Manson already sound different enough from each other, but these guys are far from being the same as them, regardless of quality.
----
03.01.2014 - 01:15
Dinruth

Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.12.2013 at 21:00

I don't think that it's really about credibility ... I for my part are grateful for every review .. I usually hit the high ones and give them a spin and thus often stumble upon gems that I wouldn't have found without metalstorm reviewers .. so even when I completely disagree with a review it has helped me deal with the music ... and I am a lazy ass who has got neither the patience nor the musical expertise to write a proper review so I should not have complained about any review in the first place
07.02.2017 - 22:23
flashback
Account deleted
Love this album!
I've translated lyrics at google and got wondered!

Hits total: 7416 | This month: 23