7 users:
Band: Bloodmoon
Album: Voidbound
Style: Doom metal, Progressive sludge metal
Release date: October 2013

01. Voidbound
02. Back World
03. The Singing Flame

Okay dokey, it's Boxcar Willy here coming atchya from the good ol' Canadian north eh. Everything peaches and cream? Good to hear eh?

Bulldozing their way onto the scene in the fine year of two thousand and ten, a southern Cali-forn-i-an band by the name of Bloodmoon released their critically acclaimed debut Orenda which was reviewed here way back when in our clandestine cuts. Since then, the band has been busy as a left-handed beaver writing and recording for the recently released opus Voidbound.

The album features three tracks, combined together to give us approximately 38 minutes of pure sludgy fury. Voidbound is rich and thick, like a bucket of fresh tapped maple syrup. It's sludgy, but has a nice sweet flavour of melody and nice colour of prog. The three piece manages to create a thick and textured sound almost effortlessly, like a sharpened pair of skates through a fresh rink of ice at an early morning practice, the guitar slices it's way through with it's unique and muddy tone. The bass fills in for any gaps in the sound better than an NHL player's dentures. The technical but not over the top drums manage to stay where they belong, deep within the mix. Their sound is softer than a brand new flannel shirt (which is always a plus in this humble Northerner's opinion). The soft sound cuts all the unpleasant edge away for the sound; it mixes very well with the warm and fuzzy production. The music manages to remain catchy, even with the lengthy tracks (some almost as long as a period of the good ol' hockey game eh)

Overall, this album makes me just about as happy as if the Leafs won the great lord Stanley this year*. At least this album is real though, and not just a figment of Canadians' imaginations.

*For the record, I'm a St. Louis Blues fan, YA JUDGE ME.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Boxcar Willy | 30.12.2013

Comments

Comments: 7   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 284 users
30.12.2013 - 21:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Are left-handed beavers busier than right-handed ones? I'll have to look into that...

Decent review, although a little heavy on the simile/metaphor action.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.12.2013 - 22:38
J. N.
Account deleted
So, when's the review starting?
30.12.2013 - 23:23
Rating: 9
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 30.12.2013 at 22:38

So, when's the review starting?

Never, maybe.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
31.12.2013 - 02:06
mordecai
Account deleted
Listening to the opening track right now... loving the vocals! Is it the drummer who sings like that?
31.12.2013 - 14:05
MechanisT
Account deleted
Nice work on the review and on the find, Box. I am quite liking this album at the moment.
02.01.2014 - 19:31
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.12.2013 at 21:10
...although a little heavy on the simile/metaphor action.

Just what I was thinking, but I'm intrigued to say the least.
02.01.2014 - 19:31
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.12.2013 at 21:10
...although a little heavy on the simile/metaphor action.

Just what I was thinking, but I'm intrigued to say the least.

Hits total: 5790 | This month: 29