09. Reverence
10. Omen
11. Canvas Of Life
12. Natural Corruption
13. The Quantum Enigma

Top 20 albums of 2014: 16

Additional info
Produced by Joost van den Broek.
Engineered by Joost van den Broek, Maarten de Peijper, and Jos Driessen.
Mixed by Jacob Hansen.
Mastered by Darius van Helfteren.
Cover art and photography by Tonnie Simons & Stefan Heilemann.

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
Epica are back with a bang on their sixth studio release, the symphonic metal powerhouse abolishing any doubts that they can maintain their powerful presence within the genre.

Read more ››
published 01.05.2014 | Comments (19)

Guest review by
AngelofDeth
Rating:
In many ways, The Quantum Enigma is the obvious successor to 2009's much cherished Design Your Universe. And by that I mean bombastic and over the top symphonics melded with Mark's signature heavy riffing and growls, with Simone's operatic vocals making a surprising, yet welcomed, return. Most praiseworthy of all, while it follows in the footsteps of an obvious predecessor, this album still manages to somehow feel new, as the symphonics explore untamed territories. There is no shortage of original riffs and the vocals are - wait, what? Did Elyze Ryd from Amaranthe replace Simone? No, no she didn't. But she may as well have, meaning that this is also Epica's most 'poppy' effort to date.

Read more ››
published 21.06.2014 | Comments (4)

Guest review by
TheJester
Rating:
After the previous album, which was good but not as memorable as the earlier albums, bland and lacking most signature Epica elements, Epica release The Quantum Enigma, and with it they showed us that Epica is back stronger than ever!

A lot of people said that Simone's vocals are growing weak and that she was the weakest part of the band (with which I was hardly disagreeing even then), but this album is for sure highlight of her career. Strong falsettos are back, vocal harmonies arranged like never before (for example in "The Essence of Silence", "Unchain Utopia" and "Natural Corruption") and a lot more.

Read more ››
published 29.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 51 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 5

Comments: 126   Visited by: 1443 users
02.05.2014 - 16:34
Rating: 8
Spacerunner

"If half of the people loves you and the other half hates you then you are a star" (c) some cool music producer whose name I don't remember.
02.05.2014 - 16:35
Firiox
Account deleted
Written by Rasa on 02.05.2014 at 16:14

Written by Guest on 02.05.2014 at 14:23

I'm giving it a 1, but just until the note comes to an more appropriate mark... I'll give it a 6.

This is the most ridiculous reasoning I have ever seen. Who are you to say which is an 'appropiate' mark? If people love it, they will rate it good, if not, the sixes and ones will come as well. Really, dude, step down from your self-righteous throne.

Well, you may be right...

Furthermore, I'm enjoying more this second spin... maybe a 7... now I regret having written that...

But still thinking the symphonic is almost gone.
02.05.2014 - 17:11
Rating: 9
annodomini

Written by Guest on 02.05.2014 at 16:35

I'm giving it a 1, but just until the note comes to an more appropriate mark... I'll give it a 6.

This is the most ridiculous reasoning I have ever seen. Who are you to say which is an 'appropiate' mark? If people love it, they will rate it good, if not, the sixes and ones will come as well. Really, dude, step down from your self-righteous throne.

Furthermore, I'm enjoying more this second spin... maybe a 7... now I regret having written that...

Maybe you got some kind of demo version without symphonics mixed? Otherwise I can't understand how you can say that you can't hear the symphonics. TQE holds one of the best symphonic work Mark and Coen have produced yet.
----
the riddle wants to be...
02.05.2014 - 18:16
Firiox
Account deleted
Written by annodomini on 02.05.2014 at 17:11

Maybe you got some kind of demo version without symphonics mixed? Otherwise I can't understand how you can say that you can't hear the symphonics. TQE holds one of the best symphonic work Mark and Coen have produced yet.

It's not that there isn't symphonic, maybe I said It wrong, it's just that the rest of stuff overcomes the orchestration, in previuos work the orchestration was the main thing, in this album I can't find a track, besides the really good prelude, or the interlude, which I don't like too much, but it's ok, that features the orchestration as much as previous work, I can hear some parts on some songs, the orchestration is there, but is a secondary thing, it's not the same.

Other thing that I don't like is that Simone barely uses her operatic voice, in almost everything, she sings pop.
But I'll keep listening to it, maybe with a third spin...
02.05.2014 - 18:40
Rasa

Written by Guest on 02.05.2014 at 18:16

It's not that there isn't symphonic, maybe I said It wrong, it's just that the rest of stuff overcomes the orchestration, in previuos work the orchestration was the main thing, in this album I can't find a track, besides the really good prelude, or the interlude, which I don't like too much, but it's ok, that features the orchestration as much as previous work, I can hear some parts on some songs, the orchestration is there, but is a secondary thing, it's not the same.

Other thing that I don't like is that Simone barely uses her operatic voice, in almost everything, she sings pop.

Dude, I think you are forgetting that first and formost they are a METAL band, not an orchestra. Of course symphonic stuff will always be a secondary thing, a 'flavouring', if you will. That's why it's called symphonic metal, not metallic symphony..
02.05.2014 - 19:39
Firiox
Account deleted
Written by Rasa on 02.05.2014 at 18:40

Dude, I think you are forgetting that first and formost they are a METAL band, not an orchestra. Of course symphonic stuff will always be a secondary thing, a 'flavouring', if you will. That's why it's called symphonic metal, not metallic symphony..

You won hahah
02.05.2014 - 19:48
Rasa

Written by Guest on 02.05.2014 at 19:39

You won hahah

Nah, I did not intend to win an argument or anything, just to clarify some things as it seemed to me you had some delusional expectations from this band. I would recommend new Xandria's album to you. Maybe that one you would dig more.
03.05.2014 - 00:08
Firiox
Account deleted
Written by Rasa on 02.05.2014 at 19:48

Written by Guest on 02.05.2014 at 19:39

You won hahah

Nah, I did not intend to win an argument or anything, just to clarify some things as it seemed to me you had some delusional expectations from this band. I would recommend new Xandria's album to you. Maybe that one you would dig more.

Wow, I listened to previous Xandria's work long ago, but I didn't enjoy more than a couple songs per album, but this one is by far their best work, and definetly much more better Symphonic Metal than this one, probably I'll buy Xandria's one, thanks for recommendation, I wasn't going to give Xandria another chance
03.05.2014 - 01:34
Rating: 7
Reaper_Redeemer

Every album and the weaker they get

I enjoyed "Unchained Utopia" though and some other parts..
03.05.2014 - 12:30
Masonics

Ok as I expected some wide range of opinions here..

Can anyone safely say this is better and more symphonic than "requiem for the indifferent" before I buy online?
03.05.2014 - 13:02
Firiox
Account deleted
Written by Masonics on 03.05.2014 at 12:30

Ok as I expected some wide range of opinions here..

Can anyone safely say this is better and more symphonic than "requiem for the indifferent" before I buy online?

Men, listen to it in youtube or somewhere before buying, maybe you're gonna waste your money... I've alredy given my opinion about this album, I love the first 4 albums, but this is bad Symphonic Metal, the orchestration is not as important as it was in the first releases and is more pop than anyother Epica's albums. If you want a good Symphonic work, like me, and want more classical music than metal, this is not for us, they go down with every album, but well, just listen to it and judge yourself...
03.05.2014 - 16:51
MHOE

This album sounds quite close to Design your universe... As I started to fully enjoy Epica from the DYU era, it's a nice thing for me.

THAT SAID, I don't understand all the hate against Requirem for the Indifferent - it's a unique album in some ways and quite certainly they are not going to release something similar ever again... Therefore I have high respect for this CD and appreciate that the group just had enough courage to do something different, to explore new possibilities.
03.05.2014 - 16:55
Rating: 5
angel.
Evil Butterfly
What's with the all the fuss for this band ? Again a boring album ? And you know why people think in this one Simone is singing better? Because they used so much more choir, harsh vocals, symphonic lines which blur Simone's vocals in the background rather than being the lead vocals in the songs.
----
The Fangirl.
03.05.2014 - 17:26
Erik M.

Written by angel. on 03.05.2014 at 16:55

What's with the all the fuss for this band ? Again a boring album ? And you know why people think in this one Simone is singing better? Because they used so much more choir, harsh vocals, symphonic lines which blur Simone's vocals in the background rather than being the lead vocals in the songs.

You really love to hate Epica, don't you?

Simone's vocals indeed have become worse over time. I never got why people said that her vocals on the debut are bad/mediocre, because there I like them the most by far. Not just the vocals, EVERYTHING is better on the debut compared to their other albums.

Will check this one out anyway and give it an honest chance.
03.05.2014 - 17:32
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Erik M. on 03.05.2014 at 17:26

Simone's vocals indeed have become worse over time. I never got why people said that her vocals on the debut are bad/mediocre, because there I like them the most by far. Not just the vocals, EVERYTHING is better on the debut compared to their other albums.

Will check this one out anyway and give it an honest chance.

No not really, it just pisses me off that for the sake of business they're spoiling their own skills and potentials, they could really go on with the same direction they started out, but making more money is always more important for some artists, for making more money they should produce what should be more mediocre otherwise it can't sell enough.
----
The Fangirl.
03.05.2014 - 17:35
Rating: 9
Xyanade

Good effort yet still lack of something. The presence of Simone's voice is quite weak, overwhelmed by choir from album listening, need to check their live performance to see if this is production/mixing deficiency, but I've been to a gig that to support their last album, I didn't find her voice to be at the same level of previous ones, sometimes even sounding strange, which makes me worried before this album's release. Another thing being lack of change, variation. Surely the whole album is quite intense, powerful, but there is no dramatic moment like Chasing the Dragon. As a result, the album may easily to be bored with. Anyways the album is favorable as usual, despite it may not be their best.
03.05.2014 - 17:46
angel.
Evil Butterfly
^ With all the flaws were mentioned still he rated this album 9 !
----
The Fangirl.
03.05.2014 - 20:19
Rasa

Written by angel. on 03.05.2014 at 17:32

they could really go on with the same direction they started out

Really? Exploiting your potential means doing the same shit all over again and again? I don't understand what makes you think they sell themselves? Their new albums are much much heavier and varied than any of the first ones. For me The Phantom Agony is pale and uninspired compared to this one. And earlier you said that Simone is drowned by growls and choirs or whatever. Actually, Mark growls wayyy less in this one, and even in their interviews they pointed it out as well. Really, I understand that people don't like it or whatever, but please, there is no need for this 'selling out' bullshit.
03.05.2014 - 20:24
angel.
Evil Butterfly
^ bullshit ?! such comments make me feel MS has already become a waste of time recently for discussing music with users, discussing music was a bit more fun previously here on MS, as it was based on reasons mostly rather than just adding words like "bullshit" immaturely. Pff !

I must add that a user who has got the total number of 44 albums that she voted for and the average for the votes is surprisingly 9.09 and almost 70 percent of albums she voted them 9 or 10 are quite average sounding ones, cool, now tell what's bullshiting my sweet !
----
The Fangirl.
03.05.2014 - 20:45
Erik M.

Hahaha, I love catfights.
03.05.2014 - 20:46
Rasa

Written by angel. on 03.05.2014 at 20:24

^ bullshit ?! such comments make me feel MS has already become a waste of time recently for discussing music with users, discussing music was a bit more fun previously here on MS, as it was based on reasons mostly rather than just adding words like "bullshit" immaturely. Pff !

I must add that a user who has got the total number of 44 albums that she voted for and the average for the votes is surprisingly 9.09 and almost 70 percent of albums she voted them 9 or 10 are quite average sounding ones, cool, now tell what's bullshiting my sweet !

Well, maybe I put it a little bit too harshly, sorry for that. But blaming a band for selling out without any particular argument also seems quite not nice. And before my 'bullshit' word I already stated why I thought what you said was also quite uncalled for.

And what my rates have to do with anything? Is it always a thing here to make an argument to go to someones profile and judge them by their music preference/ratings? Yes, I mostly rate what I like and what I am interested in. Also, I don't spend all my time on Metalstorm to rate every paritucal metal album that's get released. Or maybe I should just go to any of the bands' profile which I don't like and rate their albums 1 like some people like to do here?

I apologise again for me harsh tone, but don't be patronising yourself. Peace!
03.05.2014 - 20:48
Erik M.

Well, that catfight ended too fast for my liking...
03.05.2014 - 20:52
Erik M.

Honestly, this album is waaaaaaay too long for its own good. I mean, 69 minutes, really? How about cutting off at least 20 minutes. Even then it's pretty long for an album like this (a boring one).

This really doesn't grab my attention and while it's not terrible, it's not the Epica that I used to like. Way too poppy (formulaic, even), power metal-ish (which in itself is bad in my opinion) annoying cheesy generic female vocals and just plain uninteresting in general... and way too long, as I already mentioned.
03.05.2014 - 20:57
angel.
Evil Butterfly
I don't care much for harsh tone and whatever else, but discussing music is a quite serious discussion, it's annoying for me when someone just throws out any random opinion.

Your votes says a lot about your musical taste like how mature, challenging and open it is. It's ok to vote the albums which you only like, but for satan sake ! Who can give 9 to Tristania's previous album 9, Death Magnetic 10 ?! Once by Nightwish 10 and also Imaginaerum by them 9 ?! and Lacuna Coil Broken Crown Halo 9 ?

It seems that you're so easily pleased unlike me.

I'd say Epica prefers to sell more, and for selling more they must produce albums which are easy to grasp and that eventually attracts much more audience, so bingo they can sell more, OK ! even if it's not for the reason of selling more ? Then what's with keeping up with their mediocre music ?
----
The Fangirl.
03.05.2014 - 20:57
Rasa

Written by Erik M. on 03.05.2014 at 20:48

Well, that catfight ended too fast for my liking...

Sorry for dissapointing you.
03.05.2014 - 21:00
Erik M.

Written by God Alone on 02.05.2014 at 15:21

It's like watching The Room or Birdemic, if you know what I mean... "You are tearing me apaaaart, Epica!"

I know what you mean. I watched that whole abomination called "The Room", which was really a torture in some sense. But no, this album isn't nowhere near as bad as that movie. The music equivalent of The Room is Lulu, I'd say. Both are unbelievably bad and you can't believe you're actually wasting your time watching/listening to them. Not to mention it seems like an eternity before you've sat through them.
03.05.2014 - 21:03
Rating: 7
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Just finished listening to this album and Im quite disappointed with it. There is a slightly improvement in them music from the last album but not a lot. The one thing that bothers me is Simone's vocals which I really dislike. Needs more listening, but still not all too impressed unfortunately.
03.05.2014 - 21:07
Rasa

Written by angel. on 03.05.2014 at 20:57

I don't care much for harsh tone and whatever else, but discussing music is a quite serious discussion, it's annoying for me when someone just throws out any random opinion.

Your votes says a lot about your musical taste like how mature, challenging and open it is. It's ok to vote the albums which you only like, but for satan sake ! Who can give 9 to Tristania's previous album 9, Death Magnetic 10 ?! Once by Nightwish 10 and also Imaginaerum by them 9 ?! and Lacuna Coil Broken Crown Halo 9 ?

It seems that you're so easily pleased unlike me.

I'd say Epica prefers to sell more, and for selling more they must produce albums which are easy to grasp and that eventually attracts much more audience, so bingo they can sell more, OK ! even if it's not for the reason of selling more ? Then what's with keeping up with their mediocre music ?

Sorry my queen, for not being so HARDLY pleased. I admit, I might give Death Magnetic lower score, but when I did many years ago, I really enjoyed it. Second, BCH is actually an 8. Once is one of my favourite albums ever, so that's a 10.
Seriously, I don't even know why am I defending myself like this. You are a perfect example why I sometimes so dislike metal community. So often people are just elitist whiny brats which are never PLEASED. That's all I have to say. Try and dig deeper into my 'dirty' ratings or whatever, but I'm not going to discuss any further about this.

But still, you say Epica prefers to sell more, tell me about any band who does not prefer to sell and make a living?
03.05.2014 - 21:14
Erik M.

Written by Rasa on 03.05.2014 at 20:19

For me The Phantom Agony is pale and uninspired compared to this one. And earlier you said that Simone is drowned by growls and choirs or whatever. Actually, Mark growls wayyy less in this one, and even in their interviews they pointed it out as well. Really, I understand that people don't like it or whatever, but please, there is no need for this 'selling out' bullshit.

Pale and uninspired? It seems you have some listening to do, as the debut is so much better than this it's not even funny. The debut is about religious and political matters, for example the 9/11 attack. Calling that album uninspired is just plain wrong, objectively so.
03.05.2014 - 21:18
Rasa

Written by Erik M. on 03.05.2014 at 21:14

Written by Rasa on 03.05.2014 at 20:19

For me The Phantom Agony is pale and uninspired compared to this one. And earlier you said that Simone is drowned by growls and choirs or whatever. Actually, Mark growls wayyy less in this one, and even in their interviews they pointed it out as well. Really, I understand that people don't like it or whatever, but please, there is no need for this 'selling out' bullshit.

Pale and uninspired? It seems you have some listening to do, as the debut is so much better than this it's not even funny The debut is about religious and political matters, for example the 9/11 attack. Calling that album uninspired is just plain wrong, objectively so.

Ok, that's your opinion. It's all cool. But at the end of the day people tend to forget that everything, from reviews to comments, more or less are always subjective. And why some of them try to push it someone else's throat like univeral thruth I just can't fathom. Like the girl that accusess me of my ratings. That's like inquisition or something.

Hits total: 40520 | This month: 67