11. The Capital Perished
12. Patriarch Evtimii
13. A prayer For Bulgaria
14. Miracle
15. Epilogue
-----
Bonus:
16. O Shipka (video-clip)

"Saint Patriarch Evtimii" is the 2nd DVD of an old Heavy Metal band from Bulgaria, Epizod. If you'll be able to watch a concert here, you will have to know too that this DVD talk about Bulgaria's war against Ottoman empire during the middle age and that you'll have the luck to see a concert with a lot of old movies images and a big mise-en-scene. Even if it's a bit "too much" and a bit kitsch sometime, it's good to watch this DVD full of nice historical moments.

The concert on this DVD was recorded in front of the Tzarevetz Castle in the city of Veliko. The show was a bit like a Metal Opera, with costumes and actors. The music of Epizod is a classic Heavy Metal with a lot of epic moments and even some folk passages produced by traditional Bulgarian instruments. The music is classic but well done and catchy, plus the scenario of the opera is cool so really it's a leaving concert. Though I regret a bit that it's impossible to hear the audience and impossible to see it but at least you'll be able to watch historical videos between and during each tracks!

On a side, this DVD is more an interesting historical (with cool music) documentary about Bulgaria than a real live DVD and for sure, I learned some things when I watched it. On the other hand, people who only want music will be bored by the historical images, and let's be honest too, some time it's a bit kitsch yes. But the sound is ok and the production, for something which I suppose didn't had a lot of money to be released, is more than ok. All in all, this DVD is a good original one.

"Saint Patriarch Evtimii" is a good DVD. Well I cannot talk about perfection, but the idea behind this concert and then this DVD is really cool. The music is not bad too, not sensational but pleasant so if you want to learn something about Bulgaria and if you like good Epic Heavy Metal, maybe that you should try this Saint Patriarch Evtimii? if you find a way to find this really underground release...

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 11.01.2007

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 14 users
12.01.2007 - 02:54
Syrack
Account deleted
This band is so fucking lame, they often tour with the most wicked politician in Bulgaria,a propagator of national hatred and the most miserable one, definitely. They are just fat old nationalists and no metal at all. Lots of good bands in Bulgaria and you picked the most annoying, they are even close to what they call "chalga" in Bulgaria.
12.01.2007 - 12:00
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Hoo I didn't know that... and there is nothing wrong on the DVD (well it only talks about old Bulgaria history so...)

Hoo and btw, I review the albums that we receive.... which means that it can be possible that I don't even choose the albums that I will review
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
02.02.2007 - 19:39
stormspell
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.01.2007 at 02:54

This band is so fucking lame, they often tour with the most wicked politician in Bulgaria,a propagator of national hatred and the most miserable one, definitely. They are just fat old nationalists and no metal at all. Lots of good bands in Bulgaria and you picked the most annoying, they are even close to what they call "chalga" in Bulgaria.

Syrak, would you please name any of the "lots good Bulgarian bands"? Bulgarian metal scene is like in Malaysia - tons of 3-rd rated black and death metal and handfull old post-communist stagnant heavy ones with no decent album since 198? All of which only talking shit among themselves and complain how lame the local scene is. Can't get more pathetic than this!

Epizod are the sole active band there which actually DOES try to do something - entirely on their own! They record and release new albums regularly - all self-financed, properly silverpressed (NOT LAME cheap-ass CDRs) and then go bust their ass promoting and playing anyplace they can for next to nothing! How many Bulgarian bands do you know that will self-finance a release from scratch to finish and then go and sell it for 5 leva at their concerts?

Sure, they did play at Ataka's campaign, and I'm the first one to say how hateful and disgusting this party is, but hey, it was a rare opportunity for them actually to play for pay, so you should not so easily brand them. Especially given the fact they have played for other parties before, so it is not only for the political reasons they did it (I hope). You have to visit them and see in what utter misery those guys endure to understand why they will take any opportunity they can. That's why they appeared on "chalga" TV stations and any other place they could get on. I dont approve this, but surely can respect them for the hard work they put in.

I'll leave the "fat old nationalists and no metal at all" remark without comment. Anyone who wants can buy the DVD - it has faithfully translated English subtitles so anyone can read them and judge for themselves if it is nationalistic or not metal

P.S. since for some reason there is no link provided to the label in the review I'll add it here, hope it is okay - the DVD can be purchased from www.stormspell.com for $9.99
05.02.2007 - 08:37
Syrack
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.02.2007 at 19:39

Epizod are the sole active band there which actually DOES try to do something - entirely on their own!

Ok it is yours to say...
Korozy, Vrani Volosa, Inspell, Enthralment, Hyperborea, Demonism and many more.
Entirely on their own you say, but that is not actually true. They actually rip off folk songs, or if it sounds more mellow to you lots of their songs drew influence (more than influence) from folk songs, including macedonian ones.
Yet, it really doesn't matter I don't know how the band lives and I don't know their attitude.Maybe I am wrong though I still don't like their music.
06.02.2007 - 10:15
stormspell
Account deleted
By "on their own" I actually meant the entire process of releasing a product and promoting and supproting it. Yes, they use folk songs, national poems for lyrics etc. - things I dont agree sometimes with their vision and am first to admit. I just get upset when people tend to trash them utterly just because they dont like their music or whatever. And yes, I admit I spoke too soon before, there are some decent Bulgarian bands like Vrani Volosa and Inspell I respect and support (obviously, since Inspell has been released on my label)

Hits total: 3078 | This month: 8