Metal Storm logo
This Prog Fan's Top 35 Albums Of 2013 (All Genres)

This is pretty much a carbon copy of a list I posted on deviantART. If you want to see me go into a little more detail on why I picked these albums (I find it hard to do that with MetalStorm's listing system) then check out the original list here: http://shuriken95.deviantart.com/journal/Top-35-Albums-of-2013-35-21-423820869

The title is pretty self explanatory.

Warning: This list contains copious amounts of non-metal. If the sight of non-metal frightens you, angers you or sickens you to your stomach, then please contact our offices as This Prog Fan's Top 35 Albums may not be for you.

Warning No. 2: As the title states, I am quite biased towards prog metal as a whole. Sometimes I wish I was "trve kvlt" enough, but I find black metal to be one of the hardest genres out there to listen to... eh, I blame my upbringing. So yeah, lots of prog in this list.

Created by: Lethrokai | 03.01.2014

1. Leprous - Coal
Progressive Metal (Musical brilliance)
2. Ayreon - The Theory Of Everything
Progressive Metal (Ayreon's second best album to date)
3. Future Of The Left - How To Stop Your Brain In An Accident
Post Hardcore/Noise Rock (The album that got me into Post-Hardcore)
4. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
Nu-Disco/Synth Funk (Daft Punk may just have outdone their work on Discovery...)
5. Haken - The Mountain
Heavy Prog (This album has been the soundtrack of my life this year)
6. Alter Bridge - Fortress
Hard Rock (Don't look at me like that, I was not expecting this either!)
7. Persefone - Spiritual Migration
Progressive Melodeath (A nice twist on a rather dated genre)
8. Caligula's Horse - The Tide, The Thief & River's End
Progressive Rock/Metal (They nailed it again folks!)
9. Melt Banana - Fetch
Noise Rock (Definitely the most unusual album on this list. Explores so much of the sonic world, and proves to be one heck of a wild ride)
10. Omb - SwineSong
Avant-Garde Metal (The best debut album of the year)
11. The Red Paintings - The Revolution Is Never Coming
Alternative/Art Rock (The perfect blend of rock, orchestral and electronic music...)
12. mum - Smilewound
Indie/Folktronica (Soothing at times, haunting at others)
13. Levin Minnemann Rudess - Levin Minnemann Rudess
Heavy Prog (The ideal trio of instrumental prog music)
14. Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels
Hip-Hop/Rap
15. Blood Ceremony - The Eldritch Dark
Heavy Psychedelic/Doom Metal (Black Sabbath meets Jethro Tull with female vox)
16. Obscure Sphinx - Void Mother
Post-Metal (wow...some really powerful stuff here)
17. Boards Of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
Ambient Techno (Makes you feel like you're inside "2001 A Space Odyssey")
18. Soldis - Age D
Extreme Experimental Metal (Incredibly creative. Even has hilarious rap sections... Please bring these guys to MetalStorm)
19. The Dillinger Escape Plan - One Of Us Is The Killer
Mathcore (Bold and hard-hitting)
20. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience Part 1
Pop/Soul/RnB (This will be the highlight of this man's career. I couldn't even care if he used to be in a boyband before)
21. Fright Pig - Out Of The Barnyard
Progressive Rock/Metal (A full exploration of prog... seriously underrated)
22. Avatarium - Avatarium
Doom Metal (The female vocals provide a really refreshing take on the genre)
23. Karnivool - Asymmetry
Alternative Metal (Not their best, but great music overall)
24. Dream Theater - Dream Theater
Progressive Metal (Overall, this was disappointing. However it's still solidly written, albeit unoriginal, and Illumination Theory is one of DT's best creations)
25. Queens Of The Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
Alternative Rock (QotSA found a winning formula, and are sticking to it)
26. Protest The Hero - Volition
Progressive Metal/Metalcore (Personally don't think it's better than Fortress, but still a damn good album)
27. Ihsahn - Das Seelenbrechen
Extreme/Avant-Garde/Progressive Metal (A volatile mix of gut-wrenching and engaging)
28. Vulture Industries - The Tower
Avant-Garde Metal (Simply solid. Nothing more. Nothing less)
29. Peculate - Fiscal Cliffs
Extreme Metal (Sikth and UneXpect had a baby... This album is brilliant at times, but sometimes tends to go a little too far. Bring 'em to MetalStorm goddamnit!)
30. Kanye West - Yeezus
Hip-Hop ('Tis pretty damn good)
31. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
Progressive Rock (If you'll excuse me, I'll be hiding from the prog mob wanting my head... This album is good, but surprisingly nothing special in the slightest)
32. Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep
Progressive Rock (Entertaining)
33. Everything Everything - Arc
Progressive Pop (Great use of genre-bending... but perhaps too radio-friendly compared to their previous work)
34. Arctic Monkeys - AM
Indie Rock (Their best since their debut)
35. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP 2
Hip-Hop/Rap (Incredible rap flow and some great humour, but rather musically lacking)

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Lethrokai ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 22   Visited by: 104 users
06.01.2014 - 15:02
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Good list however... seeing Eminem, Kanye West and Justin Timberlake here is em, you know... weird. Leprous new album isn't really that good to me. Avatarium, Obscure Sphinx and Steven Wilson should be higher. Thats just my opinion.
06.01.2014 - 15:11
Lethrokai
Written by Hex_Omega on 06.01.2014 at 15:02

Good list however... seeing Eminem, Kanye West and Justin Timberlake here is em, you know... weird. Leprous new album isn't really that good to me. Avatarium, Obscure Sphinx and Steven Wilson should be higher. Thats just my opinion.

Yeah, I can understand how seeing those guys here would make one uneasy at first glance. Eminem was someone I was constantly questioning when making this list (it was either going to be him or an art-pop album by Darkside, but the hilariously stupid humour got me in the end) but I do really feel that Kanye and Timberlake released some quality stuff this year, despite their radio-sensibilities. I'd actually be tempted to call Timberlake's album the best mainstream-name album of the 2000s so far.

Obscure Sphinx is definitely up on the list a little bit more since I wrote it (as I'd only recently discovered it while in the process) but I feel that Avatarium just didn't do enough to push themselves past the normality of their genre. Steven Wilson... yeah, that album was just rather underwhelming for me. I know people have been praising it to the skies and all, but I'm just not feeling it like they are. It's definitely a good album, just nothing special for me.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
06.01.2014 - 15:27
Monolithic
♠♠♠
A peculiar list, tbh. But a good one, and as for Steven Wilson, imo he's good but far from being perfect. Definitely gonna check out whatever I've missed.
06.01.2014 - 16:19
Lethrokai
Written by Monolithic on 06.01.2014 at 15:27

A peculiar list, tbh. But a good one, and as for Steven Wilson, imo he's good but far from being perfect. Definitely gonna check out whatever I've missed.

Sure thing. I didn't write this list up for MetalStorm initially, so there's a much more varied approach than what I would normally have taken. If you want to check out some of the stuff, check out the link at the top of the list to my more detailed original version of this list, where I included some of my personal favourites from each album, as well as describing why I liked them in a little more detail.
----
06.01.2014 - 16:38
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Run The Jewels? Wow, someone knows what's up
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
06.01.2014 - 16:53
Lethrokai
Written by Auntie Sahar on 06.01.2014 at 16:38

I've made sure to keep my eyes open this year!
----
06.01.2014 - 17:22
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Lethrokai on 06.01.2014 at 16:53

I believe they have another album in the works, possibly this year, just because of all the hype and demand now since the debut. Check here.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
06.01.2014 - 17:40
Lethrokai
Written by Auntie Sahar on 06.01.2014 at 17:22

Written by Lethrokai on 06.01.2014 at 16:53

I believe they have another album in the works, possibly this year, just because of all the hype and demand now since the debut. Check here.

Sounds good!
Only thing that worries me is that it's more due to fan demand than anything else. Here's hoping it's just as good as the debut!
----
06.01.2014 - 17:57
Erik M.
Have to agree with Hex_Omega. I'm not saying you can't have hiphop/pop stuff in your list, but for most MS'ers it isn't interesting at all... and let's face it, MS is about metal and rock, after all.

Out of curiousity, which Ayreon album is your favourite? For me ItEC remains his best, then THE and 01011001. TToE is at the 4th place for me, as I find it too proggy and not spacey enough, not to mention it has quite a few extremely annoying parts (The Visitation being the worst, probably) which keep me from enjoying it completely.
06.01.2014 - 18:33
Lethrokai
Written by Erik M. on 06.01.2014 at 17:57

Have to agree with Hex_Omega. I'm not saying you can't have hiphop/pop stuff in your list, but for most MS'ers it isn't interesting at all... and let's face it, MS is about metal and rock, after all.

Out of curiousity, which Ayreon album is your favourite? For me ItEC remains his best, then THE and 01011001. TToE is at the 4th place for me, as I find it too proggy and not spacey enough, not to mention it has quite a few extremely annoying parts (The Visitation being the worst, probably) which keep me from enjoying it completely.

Yeah, I can understand that. Like I said in the introduction, I put the list out on dA first and foremost, then just moved it to MetalStorm. Besides, even if the idea of other genres may not be interesting for a lot of MS'ers, metal still is the most prevalent thing on this list. Also, anyone who goes around looking for a way to get a bit more variety in what they listen to can try things out from here.

For me, THE is my personal favourite (not a very original choice, I know... but I came to that conclusion before even realising popular it was, so I like to think it was a natural decision.) That's then followed up by TToE, as I really enjoyed that proggy vibe, and as a keyboardist myself REALLY loved the use of synths in the album. ItEC comes up in third, with 01011001 coming fourth. I was not expecting TToE to be better, or even as good, as ItEC... especially when I saw the initial line-up. But it really did blow me away.
----
06.01.2014 - 23:52
Nice list, happy to see Leprous and Haken on the top, this was a good year for prog !

And that : " Black Sabbath meets Jethro Tull with female vox "
I have to check it !!
----
Hey there, tiny wench !
07.01.2014 - 17:31
Lethrokai
Written by Schnabeltier 24 on 06.01.2014 at 23:52

Nice list, happy to see Leprous and Haken on the top, this was a good year for prog !

And that : " Black Sabbath meets Jethro Tull with female vox "
I have to check it !!

Definitely a good year for prog... and quite a damn good year for music in general too!

And yes, you do have to check that out. ^^
----
08.01.2014 - 22:00
Erik M.
Written by Lethrokai on 06.01.2014 at 18:33

Yeah, I can understand that. Like I said in the introduction, I put the list out on dA first and foremost, then just moved it to MetalStorm. Besides, even if the idea of other genres may not be interesting for a lot of MS'ers, metal still is the most prevalent thing on this list. Also, anyone who goes around looking for a way to get a bit more variety in what they listen to can try things out from here.

Ah, I guess that's understandable.

Quote:

For me, THE is my personal favourite (not a very original choice, I know... but I came to that conclusion before even realising popular it was, so I like to think it was a natural decision.) That's then followed up by TToE, as I really enjoyed that proggy vibe, and as a keyboardist myself REALLY loved the use of synths in the album. ItEC comes up in third, with 01011001 coming fourth. I was not expecting TToE to be better, or even as good, as ItEC... especially when I saw the initial line-up. But it really did blow me away.

THE is indeed easily the favourite of most Ayreon fans. Btw, we have the same top 4 but in a different order (which you can also see in my best to worst list, if you're interested).
09.01.2014 - 19:29
Lethrokai
Written by Erik M. on 08.01.2014 at 22:00

THE is indeed easily the favourite of most Ayreon fans. Btw, we have the same top 4 but in a different order (which you can also see in my best to worst list, if you're interested).

Well, those 4 do tend to stand out quite a bit among the rest of the discography. They just have that little x-factor to them, you know?
Also, I checked out your list a while back actually. Possibly would have swapped The Final Experiment and Flight Of The Migrator, but other than that, the rest of our lists seem to match up.
----
10.01.2014 - 12:54
Lord Dimitriy
What the hell is about Eminem?
And I would place Ayreon on the first place... Well.. nothing to comment..
10.01.2014 - 14:03
Lethrokai
Written by Lord Dimitriy on 10.01.2014 at 12:54

This year I made a decision that I was really going to start checking all over the place for good albums. Hip-hop, electronic, avant-garde, all that jazz. Eminem's album was a surprise in that it treads a fine line between hilarity and maturity. There are quite a few songs that really aren't worth the listen, but at the same time there are some tracks that are seriously impressive. Most people see these guys as simple radio faces, but if you look past all that, you can actually find some damn good stuff.

As for Ayreon, I was actually planning to put it in first place originally. However, as I was re-listening to these albums to make this list, Coal really blew me away... I'd forgotten about Coal a little as time passed by, but making this list reminded me about just how special it was. Ayreon was a damn close second though.
----
10.01.2014 - 14:35
Lord Dimitriy
Written by Lethrokai on 10.01.2014 at 14:03

Written by Lord Dimitriy on 10.01.2014 at 12:54

This year I made a decision that I was really going to start checking all over the place for good albums. Hip-hop, electronic, avant-garde, all that jazz. Eminem's album was a surprise in that it treads a fine line between hilarity and maturity. There are quite a few songs that really aren't worth the listen, but at the same time there are some tracks that are seriously impressive. Most people see these guys as simple radio faces, but if you look past all that, you can actually find some damn good stuff.

As for Ayreon, I was actually planning to put it in first place originally. However, as I was re-listening to these albums to make this list, Coal really blew me away... I'd forgotten about Coal a little as time passed by, but making this list reminded me about just how special it was. Ayreon was a damn close second though.

Thanks for reply! It is always nice to get a positive answer even for my not so polite message) Of course it is a matter of taste and being a rock and metal devoted person maybe I will miss some interesting staff from other genres after being prejudiced especially against hip-hop) That is why I'm eliminating my question about Eminem.
But I totally agree with jazz! Damn, it's a magnificent style! It's influence can be heard in such music monsters as Dream Theater, King Crimson, Jethro Tull... What am I speaking about? Almost all progressive rock/metal bands have inherited jazz influences.

Oh... I have listened to Coal for about 8-10 times... Only emptiness... I'm in the know that this band and this album have received great reviews and notes.. And for Ayreon I've just expressed my opinion.. Nothing personal)

Thank you for accurate reply!)
10.01.2014 - 15:16
Lethrokai
Written by Lord Dimitriy on 10.01.2014 at 14:35

Thanks for reply! It is always nice to get a positive answer even for my not so polite message) Of course it is a matter of taste and being a rock and metal devoted person maybe I will miss some interesting staff from other genres after being prejudiced especially against hip-hop) That is why I'm eliminating my question about Eminem.
But I totally agree with jazz! Damn, it's a magnificent style! It's influence can be heard in such music monsters as Dream Theater, King Crimson, Jethro Tull... What am I speaking about? Almost all progressive rock/metal bands have inherited jazz influences.

Oh... I have listened to Coal for about 8-10 times... Only emptiness... I'm in the know that this band and this album have received great reviews and notes.. And for Ayreon I've just expressed my opinion.. Nothing personal)

Thank you for accurate reply!)

Eh, a year ago I was also someone who only really listened to rock and metal. It's just a matter of personal taste, and how far you want to explore the rest of the musical spectrum. A few months back, I took up the viewpoint that "if a genre exists, it's been done beautifully at some point, just as it's been done horribly at some point." Then I decided to start checking out music from everywhere I could find. Eminem's album caught me off-guard, especially with songs like Love Game. That song is cynical but hilarious at the same time, with great mixing of backing music. It also has one of my favourite final verses I've heard in a rap song.

Ayreon was definitely an incredible album!
----
10.01.2014 - 15:57
Lord Dimitriy
Written by Lethrokai on 10.01.2014 at 15:16

Eh, a year ago I was also someone who only really listened to rock and metal. It's just a matter of personal taste, and how far you want to explore the rest of the musical spectrum. A few months back, I took up the viewpoint that "if a genre exists, it's been done beautifully at some point, just as it's been done horribly at some point." Then I decided to start checking out music from everywhere I could find. Eminem's album caught me off-guard, especially with songs like Love Game. That song is cynical but hilarious at the same time, with great mixing of backing music. It also has one of my favourite final verses I've heard in a rap song.

Ayreon was definitely an incredible album!

Yeah, I've got your idea... I've tried to listen to some other genres.. But very soon I refused this idea, as a lot of styles can't be described as music.. I mean that there are no real musical instruments playing. In the majority of the cases there are programming, computer mixing.. All these remain me some abstract not alive sounds.
And as for exploration.. Progressive rock/metal is endless source of innovative ideas and masterpieces it will take somebody a really long time to get acquainted with many bands, as all of them have got their unique style and way of expression!
10.01.2014 - 19:55
Lethrokai
Written by Lord Dimitriy on 10.01.2014 at 15:57

Yeah, I've got your idea... I've tried to listen to some other genres.. But very soon I refused this idea, as a lot of styles can't be described as music.. I mean that there are no real musical instruments playing. In the majority of the cases there are programming, computer mixing.. All these remain me some abstract not alive sounds.
And as for exploration.. Progressive rock/metal is endless source of innovative ideas and masterpieces it will take somebody a really long time to get acquainted with many bands, as all of them have got their unique style and way of expression!

I don't think I'd ever go as far as not to call it music just because it's electronic. In fact, I'd say that it opens us up to even more innovation, as we can finally create music that couldn't be created before due to physical limitations. Even in metal, a lot of bands are incorporating a more electronic influence (both in execution and final production). Even though there are some elements of this new wave in music that I don't like (drum triggers... fucking hate that shit) I still tend to keep my eye out, because you can really be surprised what people can do with their imaginations.
----
11.02.2014 - 21:00
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Cool to see someone else here who's taste strays away from metal. I'll have a looksee at some of these.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
11.02.2014 - 23:18
lord artan
Actually Alter Bridge - Fortress was a good album i like that

Hits total: 5512 | This month: 7