Release date: January 2014

01. Blood Guru
02. Demon For A Day
03. Satan Is Time
04. Satyriko Orgio (Satyrs' Orgy)
05. The Mermaid
06. Hunters
07. Oi Magoi

These days it can tend to be rare to come across bands that are both entirely original while also not too far out there with their quirkiness, and that combine the best of both the familiar and the unconventional. Greece's Hail Spirit Noir already added to the list of such bands with their 2012 effort Pneuma, easily one of the best debuts of the year. With Oi Magoi they now stand poised to take their sound in a perhaps more sophisticated direction.

Oi Magoi is, one the whole, a great follow up to Hail Spirit Noir's debut, retaining many of the qualities of Pneuma while also testing some new ingredients. Everything from the debut that won listeners over is more or less retained: the distinct xylophone/keyboard usage ("The Mermaid," "Blood Guru"), catchy chorus lines ("Demon For A Day"), beautiful clean vocals ("Satan Is Time," "The Mermaid"), as well as some harsher black metal moments ("Blood Guru," "Satyriko Orgio").

Unlike Pneuma, however, Oi Magoi embraces Hail Spirit Noir's progressive personality a lot more, and seems to be far more oriented towards improvisation and periods of extended instrumentation. In a sense this makes the music feel more sophisticated, or "complete" in a sense, as though some of the songwriting features from the band's debut have now matured. On the other hand, it also gives the music a more serious vibe that lacks some of the more lighthearted, tongue-in-cheek playfullness of the debut. Whether or not fans like this shift will, as usual, be a matter of personal preference, but it's likely most on display on "The Mermaid," essentially an 11 minute jam session, which in many ways takes the band's proggy persona to even greater heights than the climactic "Into The Gates Of Time" from Pneuma.

Is Oi Magoi a better release than Pneuma? It's quite difficult to say, as at many points it doesn't really seem better or worse, necessarily, simply different. And although this reviewer does prefer the goofiness of Hail Spirit Noir's debut to some of the more serious technicalities of this follow up, I can't deny that with Oi Magoi, they still manage to nail that peculiar blend of the trippy and the creepy that made the debut so damn good. Here that blend simply seems a bit more... restrained, perhaps, or rather as though it's shifted the way in which it's delivered slightly. But I'll be damned if that doesn't mean Hail Spirit Noir can't still bring home the goods and craft a complex, thoroughly stimulating release, for Oi Magoi is certainly that.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 07.01.2014 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 45   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 502 users
07.01.2014 - 08:40
PocketMetal

All Hail Hail Spirit Noir.
07.01.2014 - 11:54
necros4dead

Now you made my hunger for ''Oi Magoi'' bigger...
And Bigger..
AND BIGGER...:beer:
----
Lost In The Battlefield Of Opposite Extremes...
07.01.2014 - 13:43
Rating: 9
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Damn...

I'm out of words for the time being.
07.01.2014 - 16:11
Rating: 7
Draugen

This seems to be just what I was hoping they would go for with this album. Keeping the basic formula that made Pneuma so great intact while still giving it an own identity. January the 20th can't come soon enough!
07.01.2014 - 16:20
koob

Couldn't wait to listen so I downloaded it... Needless to say I'm going to buy it on the 20th, it's just THAT good and totally deserves the 9.2 rating.
07.01.2014 - 19:17
\m/
07.01.2014 - 20:05
DahliaRock

It's spectacular.. it's marvelous.. can't be more glad that I became a fan of a band like this.. but sucks at the same time, wondering what's next, asking will they succeed.. oh the irony
07.01.2014 - 23:07
Schnabeltier 24

Written by Guest on 07.01.2014 at 21:49

Cant find this album anywhere!!!!!

It's normal, the album is not released yet.

So you'll have to wait until the 20th... Yeah, I know, it's hard to wait for me too
----
Hey there, tiny wench !
07.01.2014 - 23:29
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress

A download link leaked on darkport a few days ago, on the 5th I believe. That's how I got it, plus I took the time to upload it to Youtube (link at the end of the review) so you can listen early.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
08.01.2014 - 00:02
Rating: 6
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Auntie Sahar on 07.01.2014 at 23:29

A download link leaked on darkport a few days ago, on the 5th I believe. That's how I got it, plus I took the time to upload it to Youtube (link at the end of the review) so you can listen early.

Aarrr!
Y'er already be sailing the webs, sea mateys?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
08.01.2014 - 00:12
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Karlabos on 08.01.2014 at 00:02

Aarrr!
Y'er already be sailing the webs, sea mateys?

Of course. It was one of my most anticipated releases for this year, so I had to do some snooping around for it
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
08.01.2014 - 00:55
Fat & Sassy!

Holy shit. I had no idea that they were releasing a new album. I loved their debut. One thing I think that the review doesn't mention enough (that I find very appealing about this band) is the production. It has a certain raw sound that *sounds* classic, but is stylistically FRESH AS FUCK. A lot of other bands would just come off as imitators. The production gives the music weight (especially the way the drums are mixed), making it confidently heavy at its core. I mean, I hate to sound like an old-head (and digress a bit), but a lot of contemporary metal sounds insecurely loud, and not very heavy.
08.01.2014 - 01:01
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 08.01.2014 at 00:55

It has a certain raw sound that *sounds* classic, but is stylistically FRESH AS FUCK

Pretty much what I kinda hinted at when I said that they "combine the best of the familiar and the unconventional"
----

~ II. VII
08.01.2014 - 01:09
Unhealer
Eclecticist
If they continue releasing albums of this quality they might end up among my favorite artists.
08.01.2014 - 09:23
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Auntie Sahar on 08.01.2014 at 00:12

Of course. It was one of my most anticipated releases for this year, so I had to do some snooping around for it

But you could also ask the label for a promotional copy. They're quite nice and helpful.
08.01.2014 - 21:06
Erik M.

I only checked out the debut so far and really liked that one, so will also check this one out.

Btw, good job on uploaded the whole album on Youtube.
08.01.2014 - 22:36
Erik M.

Apothecary, could you also upload Oranssi Pazuzu's latest album? That would be great, because I can't stream the album anywhere as of now, and I'm very curious since I think the debut is truly great.

Now playing Oi Magoi (what does it even mean? It sounds damn funny ) and have to say I'm enjoying it a lot. Pretty damn unique stuff (for me at least).
08.01.2014 - 23:23
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Erik M. on 08.01.2014 at 22:36

Apothecary, could you also upload Oranssi Pazuzu's latest album? That would be great, because I can't stream the album anywhere as of now, and I'm very curious since I think the debut is truly great.

Yeah, for sure! I had actually been meaning too, but have just been a bit lazy about it
I also uploaded Kosmonument in full on that same channel (Cosmic Heruka), if you look through my vids
----

~ II. VII
08.01.2014 - 23:48
Erik M.

Written by Auntie Sahar on 08.01.2014 at 23:23

Yeah, for sure! I had actually been meaning too, but have just been a bit lazy about it
I also uploaded Kosmonument in full on that same channel (Cosmic Heruka), if you look through my vids

Yeah, I noticed Kosmonument a while back already but still haven't checked it out. Don't worry, I will check it out, but for the upcoming MS Awards I'd rather first check out the 2013 albums by certain bands (even though certain albums might not be in the MS Awards).
09.01.2014 - 00:30
Carrion Misery

First time actually listening to these guys. They sound like a mix of later Enslaved and Ghost (minus the constant whimsy satire), then a hint of Dark Medieval Times by Satyricon slips in once in a while. Though, strangely, I don't really categorize Hail Spirit Noir with any of those bands. Absolutely a very original sound though. Great stuff.
----
? Carrion Misery
www.mournspire.com | Two-Man Death Doom Project
Full album streaming
09.01.2014 - 00:31
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Carrion Misery on 09.01.2014 at 00:30

First time actually listening to these guys. They sound like a mix of later Enslaved and Ghost (minus the constant whimsy satire), then a hint of Dark Medieval Times by Satyricon slips in once in a while. Though, strangely, I don't really categorize Hail Spirit Noir with any of those bands. Great stuff.

I agree with you, but that's part of the beauty of the band: they sound similar to others, and you can hear the influence of some of the ones you mentioned, yet they still retain their own distinct style.
----

~ II. VII
09.01.2014 - 00:31
Rating: 10
Michaelis

It's sounds just... amazing. First of the top of 2014 on my new list.
09.01.2014 - 00:36
Carrion Misery

Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.01.2014 at 00:31

Written by Carrion Misery on 09.01.2014 at 00:30

First time actually listening to these guys. They sound like a mix of later Enslaved and Ghost (minus the constant whimsy satire), then a hint of Dark Medieval Times by Satyricon slips in once in a while. Though, strangely, I don't really categorize Hail Spirit Noir with any of those bands. Great stuff.

I agree with you, but that's part of the beauty of the band: they sound similar to others, and you can hear the influence of some of the ones you mentioned, yet they still retain their own distinct style.

Yeah, I edited my post about that. You worded it just right. They have a very distinct style that takes a lot of finesse to keep consistent, and they do it without struggle.
----
? Carrion Misery
Full album streaming
09.01.2014 - 00:36
Carrion Misery

And great review!
----
? Carrion Misery
Full album streaming
09.01.2014 - 03:30
Diverge

Good album, but I've always felt as if this band is overrated in just about every regard. In fact, they are actually one of the middle-calibre bands on the Code666 label if you ask me.
09.01.2014 - 04:49
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Diverge on 09.01.2014 at 03:30

Good album, but I've always felt as if this band is overrated in just about every regard. In fact, they are actually one of the middle-calibre bands on the Code666 label if you ask me.

Please explain
----

~ II. VII
09.01.2014 - 05:51
Diverge

Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.01.2014 at 04:49

Written by Diverge on 09.01.2014 at 03:30

Please explain

To their credit, Hail Spirit Noir have crafted a spell-binding, original sound that is psychadelic and folk-like at times, keeping tight transitions and nice punctuated guitar work. They manage to combine elements of Giant Squid, Oranssi Pazuzu, Enslaved and Ghost, all without *feeling* like any one of those groups. I would say that they have improved dramatically on this record relative to Pneuma, in fact, and I do believe that they have shown on this record that they are capable of things in the future still.

A minor thing in the review: I wouldn't characterize it as a mix of more intense prog and more intense black primarily. I know it's kind of a small part of your review, but I'm not sure I really agree about the black metal being more prominent.

I do find that this album in particular is not quite as overtly metal as I would like, and the vocals are not particularly enigmatic or captivating to me (harsh and clean). Lyrics also need some work; Satan is Time just comes across as odd and pretentious to me. *Some* of the elements incorporated in the album (ie. what sounds like a xylophone in Blood Guru) feel too gimmicky for me or just not very interesting (around 3:30 of that track), but some elements radically succeed (weird little synths in Satan is Time, for example); yes, the songs are not structured that well and actually mean less to me than, say, an Unexpect album would. I think the music would be much better by paying attention to a crucial aspect mastered by a band like Giant Squid: climaxes build very palpably there and lead to a riveting conclusion, instead of showing me all of the interesting parts and straying a little bit longer just to finish. These tracks just meander, with the possible exclusion of the Satyrs' Orgy (the band's best effort so far). You also discussed the chorus-nature and catchiness of the album at points, and frankly I prefer something a little challenging; I tend to find choruses or massive sing-alongs repulsive. I find that these tracks, in almost all instances, are 45 seconds to a minute too long for their own good, especially the ending. I'm certainly in the minority about this band, however, since they seem to have received a very strong reception almost uniformly; their fanbase is rather small still, and I can only imagine that this album will launch them into the hands of more metalheads.

As for my Code666 comment... I tend to enjoy Fen, The Prophecy, Nachtvorst, Agruss, Akphaezya, Ne Obliviscaris, Cult of Erinyes, Carpe Noctem etc. well before this band. GIven Todtgelichter's latest release and Control Human Delete's album, however, it's clear I would rank them well in the middle. But I do know many who would rank them near the top of Code666 records.
09.01.2014 - 14:57
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Diverge on 09.01.2014 at 05:51

I do find that this album in particular is not quite as overtly metal as I would like, and the vocals are not particularly enigmatic or captivating to me (harsh and clean). Lyrics also need some work; Satan is Time just comes across as odd and pretentious to me. *Some* of the elements incorporated in the album (ie. what sounds like a xylophone in Blood Guru) feel too gimmicky for me or just not very interesting (around 3:30 of that track), but some elements radically succeed (weird little synths in Satan is Time, for example); yes, the songs are not structured that well and actually mean less to me than, say, an Unexpect album would. I think the music would be much better by paying attention to a crucial aspect mastered by a band like Giant Squid: climaxes build very palpably there and lead to a riveting conclusion, instead of showing me all of the interesting parts and straying a little bit longer just to finish. These tracks just meander, with the possible exclusion of the Satyrs' Orgy (the band's best effort so far). You also discussed the chorus-nature and catchiness of the album at points, and frankly I prefer something a little challenging; I tend to find choruses or massive sing-alongs repulsive. I find that these tracks, in almost all instances, are 45 seconds to a minute too long for their own good, especially the ending. I'm certainly in the minority about this band, however, since they seem to have received a very strong reception almost uniformly; their fanbase is rather small still, and I can only imagine that this album will launch them into the hands of more metalheads.

A matter of personal tastes then, I suppose. Sometimes catchiness can be shitty, I agree with you, but I don't think HSN really use it that much on this release (actually more so on Pneuma, I would say) so when that technique does appear it doesn't really feel like it's too much to me. The clean vocals sound a lot more powerful and charismatic to me, especially on Satan Is Time and The Mermaid. Meanwhile, as far as your Code666 comment is concerned... I've really only listened to Carpe Noctem and Fen out of the bands you listened, but I trust your argument, so I'll be giving some of those others a peek when I get the chance.
----

~ II. VII
09.01.2014 - 17:07
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.01.2014 at 14:57
A matter of personal tastes then, I suppose. Sometimes catchiness can be shitty, I agree with you, but I don't think HSN really use it that much on this release (actually more so on Pneuma, I would say) so when that technique does appear it doesn't really feel like it's too much to me. The clean vocals sound a lot more powerful and charismatic to me, especially on Satan Is Time and The Mermaid. Meanwhile, as far as your Code666 comment is concerned... I've really only listened to Carpe Noctem and Fen out of the bands you listened, but I trust your argument, so I'll be giving some of those others a peek when I get the chance.

I recommend you Akphaezya which is the likes of bands like Unexpect or Diablo Swing Orchestra... Avantgarde stuff and Agruss which was my ote for death metal that year. So brilliant, dark, atmospheric, etc.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.01.2014 - 17:11
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.01.2014 at 17:07

I recommend you Akphaezya which is the likes of bands like Unexpect or Diablo Swing Orchestra... Avantgarde stuff and Agruss which was my ote for death metal that year. So brilliant, dark, atmospheric, etc.

Don't really care much for Unexpect, but I love DSO, so consider me interested!
----

~ II. VII

Hits total: 13058 | This month: 14