07. Talvisota [The Winter War]
08. Swedish Pagans
09. Art Of War
10. Primo Victoria
11. Metal Crüe

The Best Power Metal Album Of 2014

Additional info
Producer: Peter Tägtgren.
Recording & engineer: Peter Tägtgren & Jonas Kjellgren.
Mixing: Peter Tägtgren.
Mastering: Jonas Kjellgren.
Cover art & photography: Péter Sallai & Ryan Garrison.

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Though Joakim Brodén has always been the mastermind behind the Sabaton sound, Heroes faces a lot of pressure as the first album with the new lineup.

Read more ››
published 02.05.2014 | Comments (25)

Found in 28 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 26   Visited by: 953 users
08.01.2014 - 19:06
Michaelis

That title...geez.
09.01.2014 - 10:51
Rating: 7
Hellthunder

Have you ever punched someone so hard, you dislocated your shoulder? And what's up with their helmets? Cool logo though.
09.01.2014 - 19:20
Danyael

Written by Hellthunder on 09.01.2014 at 10:51

Have you ever punched someone so hard, you dislocated your shoulder? And what's up with their helmets? Cool logo though.

Dislocated your shoulder, over-stretched your arm, and broke the other guys neck so hard that it looks almost twice as long. Seems legit...
13.03.2014 - 20:39
swatata

According to a review that I read about the album, it is going to be long.........38 minutes.
04.05.2014 - 10:59
FYA
Destroyer
And here we go again. Typical Sabaton album. I'm only surprised that there's no song about actual state of Ukraine and Russian Federation:O
05.05.2014 - 12:31
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I've heard maybe one or two Sabaton songs before in my whole life, so this is the first Sabaton album I've heard in full. My main gripe with this album (probably the only one I have with it really), is that all of the songs are so short. Some of the songs aren't hurt by this, and sound perfectly fine as they are. But some songs definitely would have benefitted from being longer. Overall though, this is a very enjoyable album, and I can't complain about the quality of the actual music on offer, as it is excellent power metal. I just wish a bit more time and energy had been spent on the songwriting, because this album could have been amazing. It's not a bad album, it just feels unfinished.
09.05.2014 - 21:28
Lord_Agony

Written by FYA on 04.05.2014 at 10:59

And here we go again. Typical Sabaton album. I'm only surprised that there's no song about actual state of Ukraine and Russian Federation:O

Even though it would've been a more timely relevant subject matter than any of those introduced on the album, but being a bit unimaginative and intellectually shallow they would have seemed exploiting the crisis rather than pointing an opinion about the cause
i think the did well not going there
16.05.2014 - 00:40
Rating: 8
Mariocalin

Simply Sabaton. Nothing else.
----
We are the priest of the temple of Synix
19.05.2014 - 13:40
boo-boo

A lot better than Carolus Rex.
----
World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.
19.05.2014 - 16:06
Rating: 5
doom777

No good music here!
21.05.2014 - 22:51
Rating: 9
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Lord_Agony on 09.05.2014 at 21:28

Written by FYA on 04.05.2014 at 10:59

Even though it would've been a more timely relevant subject matter than any of those introduced on the album, but being a bit unimaginative and intellectually shallow they would have seemed exploiting the crisis rather than pointing an opinion about the cause
i think the did well not going there

They sing about history, not news or politics. They are timeless, not timely. "Intellectually shallow" is hardly fair, given that they seem to be some of the most well-educated musicians in the metal scene right now.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
22.05.2014 - 02:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
From To Hell and Back...

A short man from Texas
A man of the wild
Thrown into combat
Where bodies lie piled
Hides his emotions
His blood's running cold
Just like his victories,
His story unfolds

Reads like one of k7's poems. Not exactly the most profound stuff.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.05.2014 - 08:37
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by deadone on 22.05.2014 at 02:24

Sabaton lyrics aren't well written or particularly intellectually interesting. There's no poetry here. The lyrics aren't even particularly evocative - they're just plain and delivered in a dull manner.

Anyone can regurgitate historical facts. In fact most of the stuff they sing about is standard fare for anyone with an interest in WWII and warfare.

Their lyrics remind me of the inane history drivel my wargaming buddies and I discuss whilst pushing toy soldiers over table top battlefields.

Finally musically they're not really that evocative of war either. This is certainly no Bolt Thrower or Slayer's more war focused moments or even such well crafted war songs as Alice in Chain's classic Rooster or Metallica's For Whom The Bell Tolls or Megadeth's Holy Wars or Iron Maiden's Paschendale.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.05.2014 at 02:58

From To Hell and Back...

A short man from Texas
A man of the wild
Thrown into combat
Where bodies lie piled
Hides his emotions
His blood's running cold
Just like his victories,
His story unfolds

Lyrically, they can be repetitive. In fact, when I first heard "To Hell and Back," it sounded kind of silly because of how wholly unimpressive the lyrics are. It's a great song, so I can forgive some lack of poetry - though many of the lyrics do, in fact, come from a poem written by Audie Murphy. Writing about the same subject dozens of times in a second language will lead to repetition, yes, but they are a power metal band, after all. At least their buzz words are "tanks," "blitzkrieg," and "thunder of guns" rather than "epic steel power glory sword dragon." Quality of lyrics is, to some extent, as subjective as quality of music. Some of their lyrics do read more like history textbooks than poetry, but in other cases they are perfectly capable of writing meaningful lyrics and presenting them in a powerful, emotional manner. Perhaps Joakim Brodén is not quite the wordsmith that the aforementioned James Hetfield or Tom Araya are ("War Ensemble" contains some of my favorite lyrics), but I find that his delivery more than makes up for any blandness or cliché aspects. Overall, I like their lyrics, and I think they fit well with their style of music.

Musically, they do not sound like war, as Slayer or Hail Of Bullets might, but I don't think that is their goal. Their sound is dramatic. It is meant to be proud, heroic, exaggerated, and bombastic - battle hymns, ballads, laments, and anthems of national pride rather than onomatopoeic grinding. Both are great approaches to take, of course; Sabaton has simply chosen a different course of action. Something like "Coat of Arms" is pretty melodic and catchy for a war song, but I think that hook-y, grandiose power metal approach emphasizes the heroism of the Greek soldiers and stirs up some uplifting emotions.

That's largely a matter of opinion, however. My point in calling them well-educated was not that they have the greatest lyrics in the world or anything - I mean that they are knowledgeable and passionate about the subject of war history, and I appreciate that. Sure, everyone knows about D-Day and trench warfare and everything. Not everyone knows about people like Simo Häyhä, Karel Janou?ek, Witold Urbanowicz, or Charles XII, and people like Rommel, Gustavus Adolphus, and Audie Murphy deserve to have their stories told again anyway. A concept album about the rise and fall of the Swedish Empire is something outside the grasp of many bands, I would wager. Sure, Sassoon and Kipling they are not, but Hemingway became one of the greatest war writers in the English language with little more than terse monosyllables and a smaller vocabulary than any Sabaton album. And as he said himself, big ideas do not require big words.

Ultimately, Sabaton's poetic and musical appeal are by and large a matter of personal taste. What is true, however, and what I was intending to say, is that they have a wide base of historical knowledge from which to draw inspiration, and I think that to accuse them of being intellectually shallow is unfair in light of this fact.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
24.05.2014 - 00:14
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by deadone on 23.05.2014 at 08:51

ScreamingSteelUS,

Thanks for your input. That's some indepth stuff!

I can understand what you mean by "proud, heroic, exaggerated, and bombastic - battle hymns, ballads, laments, and anthems of national pride ."

I just wish they added guts and energy to it - indeed I think a lot of power metal is completely gutless.

I prefer my Power Metal to have a bit of intensity - ala Helloween, Angel Dust, Iced Earth, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian and Demons and Wizards.

I'm glad you found it helpful! I love most of those bands myself, so I know what you mean. Sabaton is a pretty different style, which I love, but of course it's all personal taste.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
28.05.2014 - 20:03
Rating: 10
BORT

I love that they re-recorded 7734, great song. I Still like the original with the messy drumming
17.07.2014 - 02:54
Zap
I have no idea what made me think this would somehow be better than their other stuff, but I still gave it a listen. And boy does it sound like the same old generic Sabaton...
27.09.2014 - 20:23
Andreas

I really like this album. I kinda expected not to like it, after the not so enjoyable Carolus Rex. I thought they just got tired or something. But the new musicians really add alot to the songs.

BTW, favourite track: Man of War (and I'm not a Manowar fan )
17.10.2014 - 05:08
Rating: 5
Rulatore

Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.05.2014 at 02:58

From To Hell and Back...

A short man from Texas
A man of the wild
Thrown into combat
Where bodies lie piled
Hides his emotions
His blood's running cold
Just like his victories,
His story unfolds

this is as generic as you can get, indeed.
09.12.2015 - 16:13
Rating: 4
Joppe
Steelemeister
Nothing on this album seems grasp my interest, for some reason I remember the band used to be better At least "The Art of War" was memorable, though not very impressive album. This album, though, I don't see possessing either of those qualities.
----
My vision is augmented
02.01.2017 - 22:09
Rating: 8
Reaper_Redeemer

Some nice memorable songs in here, but the rest is generic, bad-composed fillers. Liked:
01. Night Witches
02. No Bullets Fly
03. Smoking Snakes
04. Inmate 4859
07. Resist And Bite
08. Soldier Of 3 Armies
18.12.2018 - 18:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Boring simply boring unless its CD2
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.08.2019 - 17:31
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I bet my ass war wasn't as "epic" and cheesy as the way this band paints it.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
13.12.2021 - 14:55
Rating: 4
majormalfunction

Even if I think Coat of Arms already had strong tendencies, this is where Sabaton in my opinion became a parody of themself. The lyrics are repetetive and feels in many instances like someone just reading a wikipedia article, and the riffs and melodies are often just a rewrite of a rewrite. No Bullets Fly and Resist and Bite are pretty good songs, they have some great hooks. Far From the Fame is a great live song but falls flat here, still I consider it a highlight.
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
07.02.2022 - 15:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----

apos;'
[image]
09.02.2022 - 07:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----

apos;'
[image]
26.02.2022 - 14:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

----

apos;'
[image]

Hits total: 17011 | This month: 36