Album: From All Purity
Release date: January 2014

01. Rape
02. The Impetus Bleeds
03. Directional
04. Rhetoric Of No
05. Clarify
06. Disambiguation

From All Purity can easily be summed up by a quote lifted from Indian's Bandcamp page: "This is the opposite of easy listening."

One has to assume there's something not quite right in the head with these Chicagoans. It started with the Seventh Rule Recordings trilogy - The Unquiet Sky, Slights and Abuse, and The Sycophant - and has become progressively more disturbing since the band joined Relapse's roster. There are no safe words here, no reprieve, no escape routes through the sewers of Shawshank. All there is in the world of Indian is pure carnage: death and destruction personified by noisy droning riffs and agonizing, gut-wrenching raspy growls.

Abrasive is a word often associated with extreme metal, but these guys take it to a whole other level. This album is an assault on the ears, something meant to induce migraines and make you feel physically nauseous. Not a moment of solace exists within the 40 minutes of hell you're about to experience. Think of this as more of a soundtrack to accompany the tortured screams of the deranged and psychotic in an old insane asylum in Silent Hill run by Nurse Ratched and Pinhead.

Khanate, Acid Bath, Tombs, Electric Wizard - these are some names that come to mind while From All Purity lays waste to your ideas of dissonance and aggression. It's slow, violent, destructive, and a test of will. This is hatred incarnate, and the band members aren't interested in taking prisoners - although they will have their fun tormenting you, making your death as slow and painful as possible, meticulous in their butchery of both body and mind.

If you are the kind of person who not only can stomach, but actively seeks out the most vile and disgusting forms of extreme metal, From All Purity comes highly recommended.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 11.01.2014 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 21   Visited by: 261 users
11.01.2014 - 00:19
Rating: 7
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
In many parts I agree with the review. But while I thought the sound and delivery were great, the songwriting is just a bit too boring to me.
11.01.2014 - 00:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Silent Creeper on 11.01.2014 at 00:19
In many parts I agree with the review. But while I thought the sound and delivery were great, the songwriting is just a bit too boring to me.

Initially I felt some of the songs were unnecessarily lengthy but that changed after a few listens and I started taking note of some previously "hidden" riffs. I couldn't decide on a 7 or 8 for songwriting and ultimately flipped a coin to decide, but I still think there are interesting nuances (minimal electronic elements, plodding bass lines juxtaposed with rapid-paced and varied drum patterns, etc.) that help make up for the repetitive tone.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.01.2014 - 00:41
Rating: 7
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.01.2014 at 00:33

Written by Silent Creeper on 11.01.2014 at 00:19

Initially I felt some of the songs were unnecessarily lengthy but that changed after a few listens and I started taking note of some previously "hidden" riffs. I couldn't decide on a 7 or 8 for songwriting and ultimately flipped a coin to decide, but I still think there are interesting nuances (minimal electronic elements, plodding bass lines juxtaposed with rapid-paced and varied drum patterns, etc.) that help make up for the repetitive tone.

I will try to follow this recipe and give album a few more (focused) spins.
11.01.2014 - 01:33
Diverge

Great review! Judging by the two Bandcamp tracks, Indian have certainly come as you have described. I thought the end of Rhetoric of No was a little bit of unremarkable aggression, but other than that, there aren't really any dramatic flaws as far as I'm concerned. I'll be sure to give the album a good and thorough listen.
11.01.2014 - 02:27
theFIST

The description sounds amazing, but i dislike doom
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
11.01.2014 - 04:38
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
I do like to challenge my metal tastes from time to time, this sounds like an excellent way to do so. I'll give it a go, though none of the comparisons you've made are something I'm familiar with, or can comment on. Though if I understand the general consensus of Acid Bath correctly, it certainly isn't your garden variety easy listening.
11.01.2014 - 12:47
Skl3ros

Written by theFIST on 11.01.2014 at 02:27

doesn't really sound doomy imo.
11.01.2014 - 13:19
theFIST

Written by Skl3ros on 11.01.2014 at 12:47

Written by theFIST on 11.01.2014 at 02:27

doesn't really sound doomy imo.

tried it, you are right it isn"t very doomy, but the loud snare annoys me
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
11.01.2014 - 13:59
mz

"Khanate, Acid Bath, Tombs, Electric Wizard - these are some names that come to mind while From All Purity lays waste to your ideas of dissonance and aggression." This is enough for me to check them and their bandcamp songs indeed sound very good. Thanks
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
11.01.2014 - 15:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Hopefully I get to see them live at Roadburn. I'm really interested in how they make this vile atmosphere live.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.01.2014 - 18:09
boo-boo

I'm just not sure if your description made this album sound more appealing to me, but I'm still giving it a try.
----
World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.
24.01.2014 - 09:16
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I'm really enjoying this right now. Good job with the review Troy.
----
Coldgrits
24.01.2014 - 16:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by -DC-002- on 24.01.2014 at 09:16

Thanks man. I'm surprised to see so many people (not just on Metal Storm) praising it. Not that I don't think it's worth praise, I just didn't expect so much positive feedback for an album that's pretty challenging to listen to.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.01.2014 - 00:02
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.01.2014 at 16:28

Written by -DC-002- on 24.01.2014 at 09:16

Thanks man. I'm surprised to see so many people (not just on Metal Storm) praising it. Not that I don't think it's worth praise, I just didn't expect so much positive feedback for an album that's pretty challenging to listen to.

It's definitely very putrid and rough. Few beginning metalheads would be able to pick this up an enjoy it, but I'd say it's still very coherent musically. It's not like they were trying to make something that sounds terrible.
----
Coldgrits
14.03.2014 - 03:02
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
I wasn't all that impressed by these guys upon initially listening to this, but it's definitely grown on me, and checking out their back catalog, it's equally as filthy and disturbing. Totally psyched for their Roadburn set.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
14.03.2014 - 23:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Auntie Sahar on 14.03.2014 at 03:02
Totally psyched for their Roadburn set.

I'm actually curious to hear about how they sound in a live setting. Be sure to let me know once you've heard.
----
15.03.2014 - 01:39
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.03.2014 at 23:18

Be sure to let me know once you've heard.

Believe me, I hope to do some kind of 4 day article on here covering the whole thing
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
16.03.2014 - 13:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Auntie Sahar on 15.03.2014 at 01:39

Believe me, I hope to do some kind of 4 day article on here covering the whole thing

Oh really? I could help you. At least I could put some mini reviews for the bands I'll see. xP
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.03.2014 - 14:48
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.03.2014 at 13:52

Oh really? I could help you. At least I could put some mini reviews for the bands I'll see. xP

Sure dude, that'd be great actually since I'm sure there'll be some different bands we want to see
----

~ II. VII
25.04.2014 - 19:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

Dude, these guys destroyed life. Ridiculously intense set and apparently the band thought so as well since they looked exhausted by the end.
Definitely a live band. Check this out.

----
Rod, let me love you.
19.09.2014 - 02:14
Lionthrone

God help me but I like this album. I'm blasting it now in defiance of my noisy neighbors.

Eat some full-blast Indian, mother fuckers, and wallow with me in discontent.

Hits total: 6219 | This month: 8