Metal Storm logo
Draconian

20.05.2006 - 13:41
Elfeder

This band has the most depressive kyrics ever ...and when they come with their slow and atmospheric doom melodies it makes a unique feelings ...this band is one of the best bands I heared ever they are so great !!!
I can't wait for their new album...I am sure they can make more from their last to albums... when lovers mourn is great, Arcane rain fell is little worst but also good.
20.05.2006 - 13:59
Vunts

DraconIAn is how it's written. And i knew i forgot something. By something i mean creating this thread. Where Lovers Mourn is close to being a masterpiece in my ears. Cry of Silence is one of the best songs i've ever heard and the whole album has a nice mixture of male and female vocals and melodeath passages.
Arcane Rain Fell isn't nearly as good. I simply can't enjoy that album...maybe i've been listening to it on bad times, but i can listen to Where Lovers Mourn whenever i want whereever i want, so that just proves something.
A great band, in the top 3 of my favourite doom bands
20.05.2006 - 15:46
Thryce
Retired Staff
Draconian - A Look Inside The Burning Halo: Part 2 :

Draconian are issuing weekly track-by-track information for their forthcoming album, The Burning Halo, every Friday via their official website. Their latest entry is as follows:

'Through Infectious Waters (A Sickness Elegy)'
"This is an elegy about a world sick, distorted and corrupt; our world in a possible future. With this new song we have tried to create a scenery of collapse and revulsion as mankind finally is forced to recognize their downfall. In the midst of this, a lost soul wander the earth, in hope for the absolute deliverance from human depravity. 'Through Infectious Waters (A Sickness Elegy)' is a song which speaks for itself and is unlike any other Draconian effort. The character is apocalyptic, cold and desolate and it's built upon a field of belligerence and disaster."

The next track will be revealed on the 26th of May.

Draconian were forced to delay the release of their new album, The Burning Halo, due to a number of line-up changes. A new release date has yet to be confirmed but the album will be issued through Napalm Records.

(Source and other track-by-track info on http://www.draconian.se)

BTW @ AcerbusOccisur : there is a typo in the title of this thread, it says Draconain instead of Draconian
----
Your favorite band sucks.
20.05.2006 - 22:41
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Where Lovers Mourn is just excellent, and one of my favourite albums ever... Im waiting for the new album as all Draconian fans... The mixing of gothic and doom is great...
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
21.05.2006 - 05:31
Susan
Smeghead
Arcane Rain Fell was probably one of the best releases of 2005. After so many of my favourite bands were releasing crappy albums it was refreshing that Draconian actually IMPROVED and blew me away. Where Lovers Mourn is such an incredible album; I'm glad Draconian proved they are NOT a one trick pony.

I can't decide which album I like better these days. Arcane Rain Fell is definitely an evolution toward doom though and fans of gothic metal seem to always prefer Where Lovers Mourn. I enjoy both genres and both albums feature beautiful music that straddles the goth/doom line without fulling commiting to either. Few bands can accomplish this!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
21.05.2006 - 20:19
The Walrus
Moonsorrow
Daconian is great band "where lovers mourn" is masterpiece ,but "arcane rain fall" is lil bit weaker \= anyway i am waiting to their next album that will be relesed at the summer , ihope it will be good as where lovers mourn .
----
26.05.2006 - 16:22
Soul less
Account deleted
I have to agree with TIMoR, as I also prefer "Where Lovers Mourn" over "Arcane Rain Fell". I'm a little apprehensive about their new album, due July 2006.

27.05.2006 - 20:29
Danielazo
Account deleted
Nothins special, "Arcane Rain Fell" was pretty boring.... I don't understand why so much buzz around this band existing so many extraordinary Doom bands around (I have the same feeling with Swallow The Sun)
28.05.2006 - 04:21
Surtur

Draconian is an extraordinary Doom band too, it's just pint of view, and I'm agree with the most of this forum, "Where lovers mourn" is absolutely great...
----
" And every angel needs a tear to laugh "
28.05.2006 - 04:51
Danielazo
Account deleted
"Where Lovers Mourn" is not much more than Theatre Of Tragedy worship
28.05.2006 - 05:03
Surtur

well the truth is that theatre of tragedy in their first discs seems very skillfull until Aegis after that is bullshit, but theatre of tragedy was more near to Gothic than doom...
----
" And every angel needs a tear to laugh "
29.05.2006 - 09:43
Jason W.
Razorbliss
I'm not as negative about Draconian's influences as perhaps Southern Wind is here , but I do feel that Draconian shows more "influence" than originality at times. There is also alot of Katatonia references as well in their music...! That being said, I find their music enjoyable, though I don't feel that they have created a masterpiece yet. To me, the 2nd half of "Arcane Rain Fell" is killer, especially Heaven Laid In Tears and The Abhorrent Rays. Not always innovative, but more like a band who knows what great music sounds like and writes their own version of it. I'm interested to see if they can grow as a band with so many lineup changes... I think they have got as good as they can get with the sound they have now; it's time for some evolving
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
02.06.2006 - 21:13
Susan
Smeghead
I'm very excited for their next album - mainly to see what their sound is now. They seem to be constantly (yet slowly) evolving their music.

Where Lovers Mourn shows strong gothic and doom influences because it's really a complition CD. It was their best songs taken from demos released over a 10 year period (before they landed a record deal). Arcane Rain Fell is one streamlined efforrt and shows off their newfound appreciation for gothic-tinted doom metal. I can't wait to hear what's next for this talented band.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
02.06.2006 - 22:25
AntaeusM
Elite
I discovered this band a few weeks ago(at the same time when my exams started) and I really like their "Arcane Rain Fell" Actually, they were almost the only band I was listening to during my exams. I like the slow, gloomy atmosphere in their songs. Also, the male vocalist is quite an excellent grunter.

They aren't really original, the influences are pretty easy to notice, but it doesn't disturb me. The result of their two albums are amazing, and that's what matters the most.

Anyway, great band
03.06.2006 - 00:07
Susan
Smeghead
Written by AntaeusM on 02.06.2006 at 22:25
. Also, the male vocalist is quite an excellent grunter.

I agree. Few grunters impress me but this guy has real talent for it
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
03.06.2006 - 18:39
Thryce
Retired Staff
Draconian - A Look Inside The Burning Halo: Track 4 :
2006-06-03 03:33:33

As previously reported, Draconian are issuing weekly track-by-track information for their forthcoming album, The Burning Halo, every Friday via their official website. Their latest entry features the song 'Serenade Of Sorrow':

"Previous week was the last new-written song presented! These upcoming weeks will illuminate three songs that are originally hailing from the never officially released Luciferian theme demo, The Closed Eyes Of Paradise. The tracks on this demo are truly grand and ambitious, but because the recording suffered from bad production the band decided never to release it in any broader scale. However; due to fan requests and the facts that some songs deserves a better fate, the members of Draconian decided to re-record the strongest tracks on The Burning Halo. Here's the first one out:

'Serenade Of Sorrow':

'Serenade Of Sorrow' is perhaps the one and only true Draconian classic and used to be the opening act of live shows. The sound is much closer to gothic metal than doom and was the first track out on the - above mentioned - 1999 demo. The song assembles a symphonic atmosphere within a distinctive metal setting and with an intense growl versus angelic vocal manifestation.

In sound it replicates pure anguish and innovative darkness in a tumultuous scenery, right before the rebel angels suffered bitter defeat. Within this heart-rending chaos we can still find astonishing beauty, originated from the tender vocal cord of Miss Lisa Johansson.

'Serenade Of Sorrow' has been born again in a well-designed restoration, and at the same time very loyal and faithful to the old version."

The next track will be revealed on June 11th.

(Source : http://www.draconian.se)
----
Your favorite band sucks.
04.06.2006 - 12:50
Crow_Princess

Aww, Draconian..... I have their albums Arcane Rain Fell... It's damn good...Not very depressive IMO but good anyway...
They have quite simple songs IMO.. I mean it's very simple to remember them... Catchy melodies... 8)
----
*I have made a decision... I will live until W-Lash allows me to die... :love:*
14.06.2006 - 11:12
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Absolutely love the band, definately my favourite melodic doom band (Daylight Dies is close behind) which never fails to impress. I can still remember the first time i heard them, when i accidentally downloaded "The Solitude" when looking for Paradise Lost tracks and was blown away. I own "Where Lovers Mourn" and "Arcane Rain Fell", both once being my favourite albums (and favourite band) and their older songs are great too. I cant wait for "The Burning Halo" and will have to buy it as soon as possible.
14.06.2006 - 13:02
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Crow_Princess on 04.06.2006 at 12:50

Aww, Draconian..... I have their albums Arcane Rain Fell... It's damn good...Not very depressive IMO but good anyway...
They have quite simple songs IMO.. I mean it's very simple to remember them... Catchy melodies... 8)

not depressive? wow.. it is doom metal if you didn't know that.. Why do you think it is not depressive? Because to me, the atmosphere in their songs is very depressive. Especially the male grunts, they are quite emotional. And if I just think about some lyrics.. a part from "Daylight Misery":

Another day will go astray...
Another tear in this life so grey
I you ever saw me smile
You should know I felt sick inside

yes, the catchy chorus of Daylight Misery, but that chorus proves that their music is quite depressive..
15.06.2006 - 11:20
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Thatd bring up the discussion of whether its the music or lyrics that make a band depressing, but i agree with you nevertheless.
16.06.2006 - 02:04
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Guest on 15.06.2006 at 11:20

Thatd bring up the discussion of whether its the music or lyrics that make a band depressing, but i agree with you nevertheless.

Well, in Draconian case, lyrics and music are both very depressing, but most bands combinate both lyrics and music to sound depressive. Of course, to get the label "depressive", music is more important than the lyrics. Since a lot of black metal bands have depressive lyrics but they aren't making depressive music because the music doesn't have that type of atmosphere. Black metal was just an example, same applies on death, thrash etc.
16.06.2006 - 04:13
Soliloquy

though i like the band(rather love), there isnt much i can say about them. i only have their Arcane Rain Fell, and have heard some of their songs from their previous album though myspace.com. i love some of their lyrics(as they get sort of repetative). and that same gloomy touch is upon almost all their songs. ofcourse, i dont expect them to creat a different genre for every song they release. and on top of that, you dont really see that many doom/gothic bands around that are willing to be that aggressive, and slow at the same time.

Sure, Theatre Of Tragedy did that well. but who else is there?

humm...and would these guys be considered 'beauty and the beast?' reason why i ask that is coz their female vocalist isnt really all that high. and if im not mistaken, they have 2 growlers. most bands usually have just one.

i am impressed by the band, but i sort of get bored by them. and therefore i hardly listen to them. if i listen to them more, id get so bored that i'd just throw away their cd.

on the other hand, if you guys like depressive lyrics that are done with funeral doom metal music(meaning SUPER SLOW AND ATMOSPHERIC) go check out a band called 'Shape Of Despair' and their song called 'angels of distress'
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
16.06.2006 - 07:10
Kedrona
Account deleted
Thay are always on my mind after their last album come into my life, heavy and emotional atmosphere blow my away. I don't have many interests in doom metal but Draconian is awesome, and you can't refuse their music.
16.06.2006 - 12:26
Nightwish15
Account deleted
Yes.. Draconian is really a awesome band. I listened years ago a few of their..:P.. I think i'm gonna listen to them again if I see this topic.:P.. most of you guys and girls have really good commentary on their music. Thank you ^^:P
01.08.2006 - 16:03
Crow_Princess

Written by AntaeusM on 14.06.2006 at 13:02

not depressive? wow.. it is doom metal if you didn't know that.. Why do you think it is not depressive? Because to me, the atmosphere in their songs is very depressive. Especially the male grunts, they are quite emotional. And if I just think about some lyrics.. a part from "Daylight Misery":

I you ever saw me smile

yes, the catchy chorus of Daylight Misery, but that chorus proves that their music is quite depressive..

Of course I know that Draconian is Doom metal...
Well, I know many bands whose music is much more depressive....
Draconian REALLY isn't depressive for me...
(suicide)
----
*I have made a decision... I will live until W-Lash allows me to die... :love:*
02.08.2006 - 04:30
Daru Jericho

Draconian. I'm really falling in love with them and I'm a relatively new fan. Arcane Rain Fell is great and Lisa Johnson (I think that's her name) is one of my favourite metal singers. My favourite track is 'Akherousia'. I just...love it. So lonely and atmospheric. Ah, acoustic stuff!

They're definitely one of my favourite doom metal bands. I look forward to hearing their new album too. I just can't get enough of them at the moment.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

25.09.2006 - 14:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Why I didnt sw this tread earlyer

''Where Lovers Mourn'' when I hera this title, I fll in love whit bnd and its one of my fad gothic/doom bands, maybe secend after Dis Pater and heavens Gry, but lyricaly band are great, so deep atmosfere in music and and band music can warm you not freeze you, when I was in sweden i almoust by ''Arcane Rain Fell'' but I haw 20 crones lss how need it was only one town, but i was there only some hours
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.09.2006 - 14:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Crow_Princess on 01.08.2006 at 16:03

Written by AntaeusM on 14.06.2006 at 13:02

I you ever saw me smile

Of course I know that Draconian is Doom metal...
Well, I know many bands whose music is much more depressive....
Draconian REALLY isn't depressive for me...
(suicide)

To me it isn't depressive at all either. So Crow Princess you're not the only one who doesn't find them depressive.
As for Draconian's music... IMO it is very very very average doom leaning more towards gothic than doom anyway. And I really DON'T understand what all the fuss is about concerning this band. Unoriginal stuff they write at times even sounding like a Katatonia rip-off.
Draconian always comes across to me as doom/gothic lite. Music for the masses (not that there's anything wrong with wrting music for the masses, but at least try to be original instead of rehashing stuff that has been done to death)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.09.2006 - 14:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 27.05.2006 at 20:29

Nothins special, "Arcane Rain Fell" was pretty boring.... I don't understand why so much buzz around this band existing so many extraordinary Doom bands around (I have the same feeling with Swallow The Sun)

Missed your post while reading through this thread and answering just now.
I totally agree with you (as you can see in the post above this one) Btw, I also agree with you on Swallow the Sun. It seems that nowadays the boring bland unoriginal doom )(or doom/gothic) bands get all the attention other bands really do deserve but don't get.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.09.2006 - 00:41
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.09.2006 at 14:51

To me it isn't depressive at all either. So Crow Princess you're not the only one who doesn't find them depressive.
As for Draconian's music... IMO it is very very very average doom leaning more towards gothic than doom anyway. And I really DON'T understand what all the fuss is about concerning this band. Unoriginal stuff they write at times even sounding like a Katatonia rip-off.
Draconian always comes across to me as doom/gothic lite. Music for the masses (not that there's anything wrong with wrting music for the masses, but at least try to be original instead of rehashing stuff that has been done to death)

Ozman stole my words again

I understand why its so much fuss around this band, its because its really easy listening doom/gothic stuff that the masses enjoy. However, there is nothing wrong with liking easy listening music, but in that case at least go and listen to its ORIGINAL version (Katatonia)
----