Metal Storm logo
Drudkh

Original post

Posted by , 20.05.2006 - 14:56
Heh, ok I did wait around to see if someone more worthy would make a thread about them but nope, looks like it's down to me.

Everyone's fave slavic black metal band (don't take literally). These guys are gaining some serious momentum. 4 highly praised full lengths in as many years, they're big business.

Playing a very unusual style and form of black metal they seem to focus more on nature and a warm, encompassing atmosphere that you would never expect to find in this genre. This band really don't need any introduction really, everyone knows 'em.

My personal fave albums are their first two, I much prefered the warmness and congenial approach on them concerning the actual music. 'Autumn Aurora' is my absolute fave. 'The Swan Road' was lost on me, as I suspect 'Blood In Our Wells' will be too when I get around to listening to it properly. The production on both was vastly different, giving the albums a different standpoint to the other two. Ceratinly not bad albums though.
11.07.2010 - 01:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.07.2010 at 01:11

Exactly, and that is also the reason they are featured here, just like Burzum.

That remains me of an argument I had in a so called, indie forum were some assholes just can't understand why Burzum is NOT NSBM. I mean... They just can't see the difference between music/lyrics and artist. So I was the nazi dude in the forum...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.07.2010 - 03:38
Got Mayhem?

It's just hard for some people to understand that we label bands as NSBM, not BM bands with an NS member or two.
----
19.07.2010 - 13:52
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Lol the new album cover art looks awful. I'm still optimistic though - this and last year haven't been the best years for black metal :/
06.10.2010 - 21:51
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
The new album, Handful of Stars, is extremely shoegazish.
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
07.10.2010 - 06:25
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Generally, I would say alot of things to back my statement up. But, I'm not. Too many similarities to not say there is the feel of it in there.
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
11.10.2010 - 12:03
Slayer666

I recently started getting into these guys, but so far I've only heard Autumn Aurora. Is there any particular album you guys specially recommend, or maybe one to avoid?
11.10.2010 - 12:25
Daniell
_爱情_
The one you started with is their best, at least that's the general agreement. Avoid "Songs of Grief and Solitude". All the rest is at least very decent, if not brilliant.
11.10.2010 - 14:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 11.10.2010 at 12:03

I recently started getting into these guys, but so far I've only heard Autumn Aurora. Is there any particular album you guys specially recommend, or maybe one to avoid?

I've dithered between Autumn Aurora and Forgotten Legends for many years but I think Forgotten Legends is their top album. You can't go wrong with either though.

The new one on the other hand... meh. On the better side of average material and a record that seems to want to break into the post-punk scene with little success really. Avoid if you're expecting black metal too.
11.10.2010 - 14:46
Daniell
_爱情_
Yeah I agree. I started writing a review, but I noticed that with every listen I like the album slightly less than before. I'll take a few more days before finishing. My initial mark of 9 will most probably go down...
12.10.2010 - 15:40
Slayer666

Written by Guest on 11.10.2010 at 14:30

Written by Slayer666 on 11.10.2010 at 12:03

I've dithered between Autumn Aurora and Forgotten Legends for many years but I think Forgotten Legends is their top album. You can't go wrong with either though.

The new one on the other hand... meh. On the better side of average material and a record that seems to want to break into the post-punk scene with little success really. Avoid if you're expecting black metal too.

OK, Forgotten Legends it is. What about Blood in Our Wells? I hear that one is highly praised.
You're right, the newest one is OK, but gets boring after a while.
12.10.2010 - 15:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Slayer666 on 12.10.2010 at 15:40

OK, Forgotten Legends it is. What about Blood in Our Wells? I hear that one is highly praised.
You're right, the newest one is OK, but gets boring after a while.

Yeah that's pretty much the next one to go for I reckon. Microcosmos is a also quite good; very straightforward and to the point.
12.10.2010 - 23:07
Daniell
_爱情_
Jooe, stop reading my mind!
12.10.2010 - 23:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 12.10.2010 at 23:07

Jooe, stop reading my mind!

I can't help it, images constantly flood into my mind. I already know you have an unnatural love of beansprouts and have a fear of nostrils ='[
15.10.2010 - 15:19
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
You could also put me down in the "their best albums are Autumn Aurora, Blood In Our Wells, and Forgotten Legends" club...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.12.2010 - 22:12
King Bonzo

Am I the only person who thinks Autumn Aurora is one of their weaker albums? Must be

The Swan Road is probably my favourite Drudkh LP, possibly because it's the first of theirs I bought.
09.12.2010 - 23:09
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by King Bonzo on 09.12.2010 at 22:12

Am I the only person who thinks Autumn Aurora is one of their weaker albums? Must be

The Swan Road is probably my favourite Drudkh LP, possibly because it's the first of theirs I bought.

Well, I don't know, I haven't given their first two albums enough attention, but for me The Swan Road is their best.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
10.12.2010 - 01:19
The Turbanator

Yes.

Their weakest release is Handful Of Stars, imo.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
19.12.2010 - 05:19
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Written by The Turbanator on 10.12.2010 at 01:19

Yes.

Heh - agreed. Drudkh IS and always will be known for Autumn Aurora.

@Prugor: I hear you when you say the new one is shoegazish. It doesn't work all that well for me - but its Drudkh after all and there are some very enjoyable riffs and passages in the album.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
24.12.2010 - 18:40
rekkuza-

Written by CrypticMyth on 19.12.2010 at 05:19

Written by The Turbanator on 10.12.2010 at 01:19

Yes.

Heh - agreed. Drudkh IS and always will be known for Autumn Aurora.

@Prugor: I hear you when you say the new one is shoegazish. It doesn't work all that well for me - but its Drudkh after all and there are some very enjoyable riffs and passages in the album.

Really? Having listened to Autumn Aurora for a dozen times now, I think that it is highly repetitive, to a point where I find listening to the songs tedious. :/ The music is simple. I personally like albums like Microcosmos, or the Swan Road, where the guys expand their horizons from a single folk-inspired guitar riff played 16 times until hopping to the next, similar one, into more experimental media...
----
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it- Oscar Wilde
24.12.2010 - 20:46
King Bonzo

Autumn Aurora for me rely's way too much on synths over guitars, also the vocals are the weakest Drudkh have done imo. AA just kinda bored me when I listened to it last. Handful of Stars has a lot more energy and emotion.
25.12.2010 - 01:49
rekkuza-

Handful of Stars' riffs remind me of Katatonia's Brave Murder Day...
----
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it- Oscar Wilde
07.01.2011 - 13:29
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
When i want to listen to Drudkh, i really put one random album coz all of them are so fucking good and touch me but if i REALLY want to hear Drudkh to hit some stronger emotions i put always, the ENSTRANGMENT. It has something really special. 3 songs, 3 masterpieces
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
17.11.2011 - 23:16
The Turbanator

^ Forgotten Legends. It's the perfect Drudkh album for me.

Anyway, talking about Forgotten Legends, they are releasing a new album in February by the name of "Eternal Turn Of The Wheel" which is the name of a track from Forgotten Legends (which is also my current favorite track of theirs) http://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=15131

Does this means they will revert back to their old style? Please please please please Drudkh, do it!
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
18.11.2011 - 00:54
Oaken
Hipster
Great band. I like the way they can create dense atmospheres through simple instrumentals. Timeless stuff.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
21.11.2011 - 14:56
Savopipo

Interesting stuff. Good music to calm down to when it's time to sleep and you had a tough day.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
27.02.2012 - 01:04
Necrox

Sunwheel is strangely mesmerizing.....of course it's the first I've heard from them.
27.02.2012 - 02:32
Apatheria

New album was pretty rock solid. Nothing really grabbed me as being fantastic, but who knows, perhaps it will grow on me.
----
Heavy metal is the law.
29.02.2012 - 02:32
pisymbol

Written by Apatheria on 27.02.2012 at 02:32

New album was pretty rock solid. Nothing really grabbed me as being fantastic, but who knows, perhaps it will grow on me.

This. Good not great. But a step in the right direction...
03.03.2012 - 23:29
OtherDoor

Every time I listen to the new album, I like it more. Could this be one of those albums?
04.03.2012 - 00:07
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by OtherDoor on 03.03.2012 at 23:29

Every time I listen to the new album, I like it more. Could this be one of those albums?

I don't think so personally. Its a good album, but really below decent compared to their other albums. On it's own it's a pretty good album, just a little flat.
Drudkh still got it though. What other album can you hear bird calls AND whale calls on the same song!?
----
Coldgrits