Metal Storm logo
Thrash Vs. Groove Metal/Thrash

27.01.2014 - 14:40
angel.
Evil Butterfly
What's exactly the difference between groovy thrash and just plain thrash ? Or correct me if there isn't such thing as groovy thrash and it's just groove not groovy thrash. And if there is such thing then let's discuss it.
----
The Fangirl.
27.01.2014 - 18:22
theFIST

Written by angel. on 27.01.2014 at 14:40

What's exactly the difference between groovy thrash and just plain thrash ? Or correct me if there isn't such thing as groovy thrash and it's just groove not groovy thrash. And if there is such thing then let's discuss it.

groove metal started basically a slowed down version of thrash, generally lacks the typical thrash melodies and might contain high pitched notes at the end of a riff
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
27.01.2014 - 18:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Ya, think early DevilDriver or Five Finger Death Punch. Even Lamb of God or Shadows Fall have that groove influence come to think of it. Compare those bands with some of the early aggressive straightforward fast-paced stuff and that's essentially the difference.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.01.2014 - 18:49
Lit.
Account deleted
I never understood the need for calling groove metal "groove thrash" since groove's a genre in itself. Seems kinda redundant, like calling death metal "death thrash" since it was influenced by thrash.
27.01.2014 - 19:05
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 27.01.2014 at 18:49

I never understood the need for calling groove metal "groove thrash" since groove's a genre in itself. Seems kinda redundant, like calling death metal "death thrash" since it was influenced by thrash.

Death/thrash is its own genre. It's an intermediate bridge between the two genres, and is now posthumously applied to pioneering acts like Possessed and Slaughter.

But death/thrash is definitely its own thing. Invalid comparison there.

As for groove, just go listen to "Vulgar Display of Power" by Pantera and "The Law" by Exhorder. Then go compare it to an '80s thrash album. The difference should be noticeable.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
27.01.2014 - 19:12
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I don't think "groove thrash" is specific term. It even exist. It just a forceful combining of two different terms into one non-existent genre.

Well, if anything by any means groove thrash exist. My shoot of choice will be.

Groove thrash - Lamb of god
Thrash - Slayer.
27.01.2014 - 19:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I haven't heard it referred to as groove thrash very often. I think it's more common to just call it groove metal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.01.2014 - 19:46
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Very interesting points is remarked by you guys, sorry if I don't contribute to the discussions, because I actually asked the questions to hear the answers, I just then sit back and reading all of this, thanks for clearing up these points about what I questioned.
----
The Fangirl.
29.01.2014 - 10:27
angel.
Evil Butterfly
What if I ask you people that you prefer thrash with only aggressive vocals or you wouldn't mind to hear some clean vocals with some harsh vocals?
----
The Fangirl.
29.01.2014 - 15:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Most bands that use the good cop/bad cop vocals just annoy me. A lot of good metalcore bands make the mistake of incorporating cleans for the sake of it even though their vocalist can't handle the job properly. In thrash I don't mind "clean" vocals but wouldn't care for a vocalist who goes all Messiah Marcolin on everyone.
----
31.01.2014 - 00:37
theFIST

Written by angel. on 29.01.2014 at 10:27

What if I ask you people that you prefer thrash with only aggressive vocals or you wouldn't mind to hear some clean vocals with some harsh vocals?

then some might answer
----
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
31.01.2014 - 01:16
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 31.01.2014 at 01:01

I totally agree. I especially hate the variety of clean pop vocals as pioneered by Killswitch Engage. It's metal for fucks sake, not boy band pop.

The "good cop/bad cop" vocals is what totally kills modern Machine Head for me.

Bad examples, being that a) Killswitch Engage cleans (whether they're Leach or Jones) are actually some of the better cleans in the metalcore genre almost to the point they're often better done than the cliched screams (see My Last Serenade for Leach and The End Of Heartache for Jones for examples) and b) Robb Flynn never had a good voice, good cop or bad cop, Burn My Eyes or The Blackening. He's far more competent at guitar playing than singing.
31.01.2014 - 01:47
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 27.01.2014 at 19:05

Written by Guest on 27.01.2014 at 18:49

Death/thrash is its own genre. It's an intermediate bridge between the two genres, and is now posthumously applied to pioneering acts like Possessed and Slaughter.

But death/thrash is definitely its own thing. Invalid comparison there.

As for groove, just go listen to "Vulgar Display of Power" by Pantera and "The Law" by Exhorder. Then go compare it to an '80s thrash album. The difference should be noticeable.

Hell yeah good examples. And as for death/thrash, early Sepultura is also an example.
31.01.2014 - 10:37
angel.
Evil Butterfly
I must admit I don't know what is good cop/ bad cop .
----
The Fangirl.
31.01.2014 - 14:07
theFIST

Written by angel. on 31.01.2014 at 10:37

Something like that
----
01.02.2014 - 16:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by angel. on 31.01.2014 at 10:37

You listen to Draconian a lot, right? The good cop/bad cop vocal style is when vocals are generally split 50-50 between harsh and clean. Think of Lisa Johansson as your good cop (just remembered she's not in the band but that's not the point) and Anders Jacobsson as your bad cop.
----
01.02.2014 - 17:06
Uldreth

Written by deadone on 31.01.2014 at 01:22

KSE clean vocals still sound like boy band pop. The other terrible examples are Scar Symmetry and Soilwork.

Agreed on Robb Flynn.

Really? C'mon.

The first one has "boy band pop" cleans. The second one has completely normal clean vocals.

Clean vocals like the ones used in KSE is pretty much THE normal human singing voice, as opposed to that forced falsetto singing vocalists use in heavy and power metal bands, which is another reason why I find them getting so much hate quite ridiculous.
02.02.2014 - 01:37
Uldreth

Written by deadone on 01.02.2014 at 22:27

I've never heard that song.

I was more referring to stuff like KSE's Alive or Just Breathing which does sound like badly tweaked boy band vocals.

With regards to the normal human singing voice, I actually think male singing in mainstream music has become extremely feminine and worst of all generic.

I much prefer unique yet powerful vocals ala Dave Matthews, Ben Ottewell (Gomez), Jack White or Tom Jones, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin or in terms of Metal Bruce Dickinson, Dan Swano, Hansi Kursch, Matt Barlow or Nick Holmes.

As for Power Metal, a lot of those guys are just as bad as the Metalcore guys when it comes to gutless and generic vocals.

Weird, most people seem to prefer Jesse's vocals massively to Howard's, which I agree with, even though I have no problems with Howard.

At any rate, however, I don't find Jesse's cleans on AOJB anything like "boy band cleans".
23.02.2014 - 22:59
Aristarchos

Does groove metal have to have a thrash part to be called groove? According to wikipedia Spritual Beggars plays groove metal, and they have nothing to do with thrash.
24.02.2014 - 21:46
Aristarchos

Written by deadone on 23.02.2014 at 23:58

Written by Aristarchos on 23.02.2014 at 22:59

Does groove metal have to have a thrash part to be called groove? According to wikipedia Spritual Beggars plays groove metal, and they have nothing to do with thrash.

I'd say no but it has to be very riff focused, even if the riffs have more in common with metallic Hardcore and not Thrash.

Dunno about Spiritual Beggars though. Never heard them.

Spiritual Beggars has nothing to do with hardcore, they are more stonerish.
24.02.2014 - 21:46
Aristarchos

They are also way better than any other band called groove metal.
24.02.2014 - 23:56
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Aristarchos on 24.02.2014 at 21:46

They are also way better than any other band called groove metal.

Not what I'm hearing. Mediocre as all fuck heavy/stoner that band. Even Pantera's worse groove album Reinventing The Steel is more interesting than them.
25.02.2014 - 15:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Spiritual Beggars has nothing to do with groove metal whatsoever. Then you might as well call every stoner band groove.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.02.2014 - 21:29
Aristarchos

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.02.2014 at 15:36

Spiritual Beggars has nothing to do with groove metal whatsoever. Then you might as well call every stoner band groove.

That's exactly what I thought, why I was surprised to see them mentioned as groove on both English and Swedish wikipedia. I'm glad you cleared it up for me.
05.03.2014 - 23:01
Thrash del Sur

I'm a big fan of early Groove bands like Pantera, Machine Head, White Zombie, Prong but Fear Factory can be considered a Groove Metal band?