Metal Storm logo
Unix appreciation thread

27.01.2014 - 23:17
vezzy
Stallmanite
Post everything about Unix/Unix-like operating systems, from GNU/Linux and *BSD to Plan 9 and Solaris.

OS X users disallowed.

Brag about your rig/distro, post your dotfiles, tell sysadmin war stories, post news, status updates and use Emacs. Make fun of weak Windows-using scum.

As for me, I was going on a distro hop until a few months ago when I finally stuck with Slackware 14. I decided not to upgrade to 14.1 to avoid risks. Instead, I switched my package mirror to -current and basically update everything besides my kernel (which is on 3.2, long-term stability, IIRC). I had some issues with KDE libs and glibc, but I sorted those out.

My primary window manager is Fluxbox, because I'm too lazy to learn Vim keystrokes and how to operate a tiling WM. Though I'm aware those are major productivity savers and make you look like a wizard.

I've been thinking of installing OpenBSD, out of appreciation for Theo de Raadt and the crew. The guys recently announced that they owed $20,000 in electricity bills and were looking for a company to help them. Some Romanian millionaire apparently decided to step in, but what actually occurred after that is still unknown. OpenBSD can't die. If the foundation goes down, so does OpenSSH... and that's fucking bad.

And you?

----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
02.02.2014 - 18:52
Kirg

I know Ubuntu is considered a newbie's choice but I love it's features and it's also well maintained. I use Ubuntu 12.04LTS with Gnome3 UI, Unity is just not good enough for power users and I do a lot of web design, programming and audio recording stuff.

I wonder if there's someone who used Ardour DAW. I used it for recording and corrections and it was pretty awesome experience. And I'm looking to do more stuff with new Ardour 3.