Metal Storm logo
Mogwai

15.01.2007 - 00:38
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
This Band is Very Interesting to me....Mogwai delivers Dreamy and Atmospheric Noise Rock that sends chills down your spine...they Even Played a Very Huge Influence on Isis...and you can Clearly hear that on Isis' Last 3 albums...i would say my favorite Albums are "Mr Beast" because it Captures everything good about Mogwai..their' other albums are just as solid...but This Particular album gets me every time...anyways i'm curious to know who else here is a fan
27.01.2007 - 14:02
APOHAKC
The Bard
They are cool.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
27.01.2007 - 15:57
borninblood
Account deleted
I had the chance to see this band live a while back, I turned it down because I knew nothing of the band, shortly after I checked out a few samples online and regreted missing them.

Very very chilled out.
29.01.2007 - 02:14
Nickwillnotbe

I am a huge fan of Mogwai. I really love their entire discography, although Come on, Die Young didn't seem as good as their other material. Most fans of the band praise that album a lot, and I am not sure why. In my opinion, the best CD they have released is Happy Songs For Happy People. Everything recorded on that album is perfect. Hunted by a Freak is probably one of my favorite post rock songs ever.
07.02.2007 - 12:38
Detric
King Of Twilight
Nice thread, this band rules. What I like about Mogwai is that they have it all even though they are "only" a post rock band. They know how to creat a horrific atmosphere and at the same time deliver the most beautiful melodies, wheter its on the keyboard, guitar or a third instrument (these guys use a shitload of different instruments, which is really cool). Everytmie I listen to one of their albums I feel like its a long journey, like going through heaven and hell, and no other band makes me feel like that. Btw has anyone heard their newest album? Im thinking about buying it, but ive heard that it shouldnt be as good as the rest..
08.02.2007 - 22:50
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Detric on 07.02.2007 at 12:38

Nice thread, this band rules. What I like about Mogwai is that they have it all even though they are "only" a post rock band. They know how to creat a horrific atmosphere and at the same time deliver the most beautiful melodies, wheter its on the keyboard, guitar or a third instrument (these guys use a shitload of different instruments, which is really cool). Everytmie I listen to one of their albums I feel like its a long journey, like going through heaven and hell, and no other band makes me feel like that. Btw has anyone heard their newest album? Im thinking about buying it, but ive heard that it shouldnt be as good as the rest..

are you talking about the "Zidane Soundtrack",that they just put out not too long ago,or "Mr Beast"? either way they're both great albums....you should just buy it regardless of what reviews said....and go on your own instincts,because Alot of the elite Mogwai fans are Pretentious Assholes..
09.02.2007 - 01:13
Detric
King Of Twilight
Yes thats the one im talking about, okay thanks man I will for sure. Yeah thats the thing about reviews, you dont know what to think..Ive read reviews where they bash an album totally and give it like 1 out of 6, you take the chance and buy it and what happends? Its alot better than you thought and becomes one of your favourite albums. Reviews are just worthless cause its a matter of taste, but you still read them because you somehow believe in what they are saying, at least thats the way I feel. I have to get everything by this amazing band.
23.03.2007 - 18:24
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
I really like Happy Songs for Happy People and Rock Action. Haven't checked out those other albums yet.
But I understand why they're one of the bigger post-rock bands nowadays. Some songs, like 'Killing All The Flies', really appeal to me.
It's amazing how much influence Slint has had on all the post-rock bands that followed.

Oh, I wanted to add that Mogwai also contributed to the score for the motion picture The Fountain, together with Kronos Quartet and composer Clint Mansell. And I love it! It's really an amazing soundtrack.
25.03.2007 - 12:51
Anathemani@c

Their newest alboum "Mr Beast" was incr3dibl3!!!! Give it a listen!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
26.03.2007 - 10:42
marillionfan
Account deleted
Well, I've just discovered this band; I have listened and enjoyed Happy Songs for Happy People. They're a very good experimental/post rock band.
15.04.2007 - 01:26
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Discovered them a couple of weeks ago, with 'Mr. Beast'. Damn, this is some awesome stuff. I really love it.

Great band!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
16.04.2007 - 07:11
the stranger

Rock Action is brilliant. The best album I've heard of them. It has great melodies and disturbing sounds, the characteristics of Mogwai. The one I like most is "2 rights make 1 wrong".
19.04.2007 - 16:43
Bubonic

All records are brilliant but Happy Songs for Happy People has to be my favorite. Killing All The Flies is one of the best post-rock tunes ever written.
13.05.2008 - 16:04
Zeraphine
Lazy Bastard
Mogwai is definitely one of the best post rock bands I've come across! They're sound is unique. They create this weird atmosphere that relaxes you and gives you the chills in the same time! That type of atmosphere is terribly hard to create. Sigur Ros achieved it with Von and... well that's pretty much it. I can't believe no one mentioned Young Team! IMO that's Mogwai at their best! Katrien, Like Herod, not to mention Tracy and the majestic Mogwai fear Satan are absolutely perfect! I recommend this album to everyone who wants to try post rock!

Oh, two requests: listen to it alone and in complete silence and... try to avoid With Portfolio. It'll drive you crazy. I MEAN it. *g*
27.12.2008 - 14:39
Njord
njord
Written by Zeraphine on 13.05.2008 at 16:04

Oh, two requests: listen to it alone and in complete silence and... try to avoid With Portfolio. It'll drive you crazy. I MEAN it. *g*

It's like as you say, nice music to listen in silence. I recommend it with a drink and reading an easy but deep book. This band resembles other I listened sometime ago: Boards of Canada. Try it if you are looking for nice atmospheric music.
15.06.2010 - 16:13
Fëanor

BUMP

Great, great band. I had a chance to see them live last year, but they were playing the same night as Opeth, and I couldn't turn down Opeth. Still, I wish it would have been a day later/earlier.

Come On, Die Young... Mr. Beast... Happy Songs For Happy People... all top notch.

One of my personal favorite tunes from them is Christmas Steps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdBKoiPE78Y

*Notice how he jumps at the beginning. This is because the first half of the tune, not shown in the video, is super mellow and ambient.
----
~Everything we think we know is merely a guess, and every thought process is a theory in progress.~

I'm not insane - I'm just smarter than you!
20.06.2010 - 00:51
randomusername

Mogwai lovers, today (actually tomorrow ) on BBC2 Scotland - Zidane: A 21st-Century Portrait with Mogwai music from the album called...Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait 1:35 am, do not forget!

Mogwai are special for me in some way. I don't know why, but I love the sound of their music and I much more prefer them than Explosions in the Sky.
06.07.2010 - 08:54
the stranger

I think this is one of the best live versions of any song ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q5NOdEgIHQ
And with that video I got two friends hooked up with the band.
26.04.2011 - 10:48
The Turbanator

Shame this thread only has so little attention. One of the best post rock band, imo.

All albums, recommended.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
31.05.2011 - 03:11
F.N.S.C.A.C

Great band. Best album: got to be the Hawk is Howling imho at least
Although the bonus track for their new album ('Music for a Forgotten Future (The Singing Mountain)' from hardcore will never die...) is an amazing epic. which i urge all fans to hear
11.09.2011 - 14:59
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I wanted to give these guys a go.

Can anyone suggest a good place to start or their best albums? I would appreciate that.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.09.2011 - 12:34
IronAngel

Written by BloodTears on 11.09.2011 at 14:59

Can anyone suggest a good place to start or their best albums? I would appreciate that.

Probably Come On Die Young. It's often considered their best. Young Team is a little more raw, another classic. The early stuff leans towards noise rock whereas they've become a little more melodic of late; Hawk Is Howling offers nothing new, but it's an accessible and consistent album. Still, they're an exceptionally consistent and maybe samey band. Which is one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan, but they're good.

Last year they released a solid live album, Special Moves. It might be a good introduction, songs from their entire career.

Their latest album is not that good, but as the poster above you noted, the bonus disc/track is fucking epic. Music For A Forgotten Future. Some of their best work. There's a new EP out called Earth Division, btw. Haven't heard it yet.
13.09.2011 - 12:36
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by IronAngel on 13.09.2011 at 12:34

Written by BloodTears on 11.09.2011 at 14:59

Probably Come On Die Young. It's often considered their best. Young Team is a little more raw, another classic. The early stuff leans towards noise rock whereas they've become a little more melodic of late; Hawk Is Howling offers nothing new, but it's an accessible and consistent album. Still, they're an exceptionally consistent and maybe samey band. Which is one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan, but they're good.

Last year they released a solid live album, Special Moves. It might be a good introduction, songs from their entire career.

Their latest album is not that good, but as the poster above you noted, the bonus disc/track is fucking epic. Music For A Forgotten Future. Some of their best work.

Thanks a lot for your answer! I'll definitely take that into consideration.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram