Metal Storm logo
Ace Frawley's Top 10 Led Zeppelin Songs (one per studio album)

These are my personal favourites - only one song chosen from the nine Led Zeppelin studio albums (but have allowed myself the indulgence of choosing two from Physical Graffiti, because it's a double-album and I wanted a list of ten songs).

Created by: Ace Frawley | 05.02.2014

1. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III
1970 "Immigrant Song" - this is absolute killer, with it's driving riff and wailing Plant vocals about viking raids. Funny how this super heavy song kicked off an album that is probably their least heavy. I doubt the heaviness of this song has been bettered by anyone since. I still get chills everytime I hear it.
2. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
1975 "Ten Years Gone" - just love everything about this song, with it's unique Jimmy Page riffs and Robert Plant's sensitive lyrics about past love. I think this showed a more mature level of songwriting by the band.
3. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
1971 "Stairway to Heaven" - apparently played to death on radio during the 1970s, despite never being released as a single, I still love it and think it's just an amazing song.
4. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
1975 "Kashmir" - an epic song that just sounds so different from anything else.
5. Led Zeppelin - Presence
1976 "Achilles Last Stand" - 10 minutes and 25 seconds of raw power. Bonzo's drumming is amazing.
6. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
1969 "Dazed & Confused" - I've read this song was originally written by Jake Holmes but Led Zeppelin modified it a lot and have their own copyright. Was a central feature of their live shows in the early 1970s, with Page producing a violin bow to play his guitar.
7. Led Zeppelin - Coda
1982 "We're Gonna Groove" - not their own song but brilliantly done and if you've ever seen the live footage from the Royal Albert Hall in 1970, where they opened with this song, you'll understand why it's so good.
8. Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy
1973 "No Quarter" - such a haunting song.
9. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
1969 "Heartbreaker" - what a memorable riff.
10. Led Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door
1979 "Fool in the Rain" - very different, with it's Latin feel and odd time signature. Just love the Bonzo drum track on this song and get the urge to play the drums everytime I hear it.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Ace Frawley ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 11   Visited by: 36 users
05.02.2014 - 04:11
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Comments on my new list welcome.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
05.02.2014 - 04:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Can't really comment on this since I don't even listen to 10 Zeppelin songs on the regular. I think the only tracks I really remember are "Black Dog", "Stairway to Heaven", "Immigrant Song", and "Kashmir". Not sure which of those I even prefer... I suppose "Black Dog" or "Kashmir".
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.02.2014 - 12:52
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.02.2014 at 04:26

Can't really comment on this since I don't even listen to 10 Zeppelin songs on the regular. I think the only tracks I really remember are "Black Dog", "Stairway to Heaven", "Immigrant Song", and "Kashmir". Not sure which of those I even prefer... I suppose "Black Dog" or "Kashmir".

That's alright - you can return to this list when you GET THE LED OUT.
----
09.02.2014 - 22:05
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I agree with "No Quarter", "Achilles Last Stand" and "Stairway to Heaven". They're probably my 3 favourite Zep songs.
09.02.2014 - 22:56
JohnDoe
Account deleted
HOTH and II are too low in the list.
ITTOD - Fool in the Rain is hardly the best song, In the Eveneing, Carouselambra, I'm Gonna Crawl are so much better.
Coda ahead of LZII ?!
LZIII first place?!

oh well, it's all a matter of taste, obvious sentence, sorry.
10.02.2014 - 03:23
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 09.02.2014 at 22:56

HOTH and II are too low in the list.
ITTOD - Fool in the Rain is hardly the best song, In the Eveneing, Carouselambra, I'm Gonna Crawl are so much better.
Coda ahead of LZII ?!
LZIII first place?!

oh well, it's all a matter of taste, obvious sentence, sorry.

The rating order isn't by album but by song on the album. So Coda isn't rated as a better album than LZII, I'm just rating the song "We're Gonna Groove" as better than "Heartbreaker", and those two songs are just my favourites on those two albums.
----
10.02.2014 - 08:17
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:

The rating order isn't by album but by song on the album. So Coda isn't rated as a better album than LZII, I'm just rating the song "We're Gonna Groove" as better than "Heartbreaker", and those two songs are just my favourites on those two albums.

my bad then, I have to reconsider my answer
11.02.2014 - 04:17
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 10.02.2014 at 08:17

Quote:

Yep, have a re-think about my list. Fair point about my best song pick for ITTOD but the drum groove on "Fool in the Rain" is just so damn catchy. Not a metal song though.
----
11.02.2014 - 09:22
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, have a re-think about my list. Fair point about my best song pick for ITTOD but the drum groove on "Fool in the Rain" is just so damn catchy. Not a metal song though.

So basically is a song list, not an album list.

Since I've Been Loving You is my personal favorite from LZ.
I agree on your Physical Graffiti choices, nice to see Ten years gone get some appreciation.
No Quarter is one of my favorite as well, especially the live version on The Song remains the Same.
I wouldn't put We're gonna groove ahead of Heartbreaker though.

Good choice of songs.
11.02.2014 - 21:24
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 11.02.2014 at 09:22

So basically is a song list, not an album list.

Since I've Been Loving You is my personal favorite from LZ.
I agree on your Physical Graffiti choices, nice to see Ten years gone get some appreciation.
No Quarter is one of my favorite as well, especially the live version on The Song remains the Same.
I wouldn't put We're gonna groove ahead of Heartbreaker though.

Good choice of songs.

Yep, a song list, but I put the albums in there because I wanted the pics and to confirm it's one song per album (with two from PG). Fair point about Heartbreaker being behind We're Gonna Groove.
----
26.01.2019 - 23:33
JoHn Doe

A nice list, thumbed it up
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.

Hits total: 2318 | This month: 9