Metal Storm logo
Peer Pressure

09.02.2014 - 05:29
Jtbmetal123

My name is John. Im terrible with peer pressure and how to say "No". Now that I am older im getting better under pressure. What about you? How are you under peer pressure? Do you let people dictate you? Do you peer pressure people into doing things they don't normally do?
09.02.2014 - 07:09
no one
Account deleted
I'm a bit shit with people dictating me, walking all over me, but i'm not sure i would call that peer pressure.
09.02.2014 - 10:19
Dr.Overkill26

Where I come from there"s virtually no peer Pressure, Never Has been. Not an Issue for me anyway, no one walks all over me, they may try. Or try to intimidate me. That's amusing.
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie
09.02.2014 - 12:03
ANGEL REAPER

Peer presure?! man fuck that ,i dont have time for people and their shit

now that being said this thread should be in General forum.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
09.02.2014 - 19:21
no one
Account deleted
Only happens to me because i try too hard to be a nice person and not be an arrogant dick.
09.02.2014 - 19:55
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Thread needs to be move.

To contribute, I hardly fall for peer pressure. I hate disappointing people though.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.02.2014 - 18:41
Jtbmetal123

Written by Guest on 09.02.2014 at 19:21

Only happens to me because i try too hard to be a nice person and not be an arrogant dick.

How often are you a nice person?
10.02.2014 - 19:20
no one
Account deleted
Written by Jtbmetal123 on 10.02.2014 at 18:41

ahh...all the time i suppose, its just the way i am......your not a therapist are you?
11.02.2014 - 05:34
no one
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 11.02.2014 at 01:09

Being nice doesn't mean giving into peer pressure.

You can be polite and say no...

i never said i gave into peer pressure, if i did i would have never got off the piss
11.02.2014 - 19:16
no one
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 11.02.2014 at 06:03

Reminds me of a chick I knew.

I was sobering up and she asked at a party how I could have fun without booze. Glad I never ended up with her...

why ?
11.02.2014 - 20:17
Jtbmetal123

Written by Guest on 10.02.2014 at 19:20

ahh...all the time i suppose, its just the way i am......your not a therapist are you?

hahaha nope.
11.02.2014 - 20:31
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Guest on 10.02.2014 at 19:20

no he is just the rapist
that being said i was sent from from a school one day for making this joke when the english teacher sent me to see the school therapist (she thought i was insane - and i was just joking around ...long story ....)
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
11.02.2014 - 20:55
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 11.02.2014 at 20:31

no he is just the rapist
that being said i was sent from from a school one day for making this joke when the english teacher sent me to see the school therapist (she thought i was insane - and i was just joking around ...long story ....)

The stories we read on this site...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
11.02.2014 - 21:10
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Karlabos on 11.02.2014 at 20:55

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 11.02.2014 at 20:31

no he is just the rapist

The stories we read on this site...

for fucks sake i was just impersonated Sean Connery's voice when i was asked to speak (i was just bored btw )
----
11.02.2014 - 21:23
Ernis
狼獾
There's this one addiction that is especially aggravated by peer pressure... smoking...
When I ran out of cigarettes I decided I wouldn't be buying a new pack for some time and that some time has now became a couple of months long... and I see people "quitting" on a daily basis only to start smoking again after a week or two... Of course, the addiction itself is holding you in a deadly grip but that silly peer pressure only makes things worse...
All of a sudden you end up being alone and forgotten by all your friends who go to have some jolly merry time at the smoking room where you don't want to follow and thus will miss all the cool stories the mates are telling... I'm not saying it's a problem for me but for several of my friends and colleagues who were in the "let's quit smoking" club, this was a major cause why they gave up...

I can say it's a bit annoying when you and your mates are talking and all of a sudden a smoking friend comes and says "Hey there... I just wanted to invite you to have a little fag with me... just this one... let's just go... I mean... just this ONE!" And then everyone's smoking again... the hell, my bro even said that he didn't want to quit entirely... he didn't specify why but I can bet that giving up all the good gossip and social fun from becoming one with the stench of the ashtray is a price too high to be paid...
And... I have to say that people saying things like "You know, I'd like to quit smoking. I feel sick of it... I hate the stench and I hate what it does to my body... but I just can't because everyone smokes here and I would feel isolated... but you, YOU are so strong! You know I admire you SO much because YOU are managing to avoid it! Yeah, you're THAT kind of a person... how nice!" is the most subtle form of peer pressure ever... it's comparable to lines in the vein of "Oh, I'd just love to have some good steak. Oh, sorry, you're a vegan! You know I admire you for being THAT kind of person... I wish I could be like you but I just want to be normal and accepted by my peers so I eat and drink and smoke just like everyone else... I'm sure you would like that too but, hey, you're so strong that you dare to be like that..."

And finally...

"Hey guys! I have this great plan I wanted to share with you! Let's just go and have a smoke and I'll tell you... oh... yeah... but YOU quit, right... that sucks man.. that sucks... oh, I'm sorry... didn't mean it, I really admire you! It's amazing... you must have such a willpower!"
14.02.2014 - 22:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
I guess we all have experienced peer pressure to some extent, but it's also something I've never "suffered" from. I guess it is because that I've mainly hung out with the same 8-10 people since I was like 11 years old. So instead of someone pressuring us, it has been more like we have discovered all the treats and other stuff in life together. The peer pressure has been us, as a group, pressuring each other.
----
17.02.2014 - 23:11
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Warman on 14.02.2014 at 22:55

I guess we all have experienced peer pressure to some extent, but it's also something I've never "suffered" from. I guess it is because that I've mainly hung out with the same 8-10 people since I was like 11 years old. So instead of someone pressuring us, it has been more like we have discovered all the treats and other stuff in life together. The peer pressure has been us, as a group, pressuring each other.

That's what peer pressure is... just like the example I brought... Imagine that you and all of your friends and the friends of your friends are smokers and, especially, when you all get together, you will be puffing one fag after another all night long. Now imagine when one of you tries to quit... this is almost impossible...
Sample situation: your merry company of friends are having a good laugh and you're just in the middle of a great conversation when everyone suddenly decides to go for a smoke and that one person who quit is an outsider...

I've been in the opposite situation, however... in China, most of my mates there didn't smoke and I was the awkward one who had to sneak outside every once in a while... these were stolen moments and so the habit just disappeared... until I returned to Estonia where you start smoking at the tender age of ten...
18.02.2014 - 14:29
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Ernis on 17.02.2014 at 23:11

That's what peer pressure is... just like the example I brought... Imagine that you and all of your friends and the friends of your friends are smokers and, especially, when you all get together, you will be puffing one fag after another all night long. Now imagine when one of you tries to quit... this is almost impossible...
Sample situation: your merry company of friends are having a good laugh and you're just in the middle of a great conversation when everyone suddenly decides to go for a smoke and that one person who quit is an outsider...

Yeah, and I'm probably one of those who "pressure the most". Words such as: "what, you're not gonna drink beer tonight?" and likewise have escaped my big mouth from time to time.

I guess a lot of us people, who are in a "merry company" ususally think that their group is pretty tolerant to each other. It's true to some extent, there exist a certain kind of high respect that you don't have towards others. But it's also not true. Because if you're in a group, year after year after year, you start to evolve certain roles in this group. If you stray from this role, chances are you might be pressured back to your role. The opposite situation exists too, of course. For example, one of the guys in the group drank a lot, and I mean way too much, for a couple of years. That was his role, "the drinker". Although we thought it was too much. I guess he even pressured us into going out now and then, even if we didn't want to at first. After a while he got into some trouble because of his drinking, and today he's probably the one who drinks the least in the group. He has strayed from his role, which we respect. I mean, that was a good stray. But it's clear, that he himself, is a little ashamed about how he's not "the party guy" of the group anymore. Even though we think it's good.

Men...
----
20.02.2014 - 10:18
Leni

Well, i'm not under pressure by peers, even if i am in friends company and i don't drink, for example. Some people can ask me, why i don't drink) i say: "i can't drink for some time, it concerns with sport", and they satisfied with my answer. When i was teenager, pressure was stronger, and it's normal, because not everyone wants to move away from peers and classmates. So, growing up and experience makes you wiser)
21.02.2014 - 01:52
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Warman on 18.02.2014 at 14:29
Words such as: "what, you're not gonna drink beer tonight?" and likewise have escaped my big mouth from time to time.

Yeah, same, and for me it's really never about anyone else doing things he/she doesn't want to do but my own insecurities. It's silly, I know, and I'm trying my best to not do that since, well, I believe I'm pretty scary when determined to do something and someone says "no" to that. However, I do respect personal choices like smoking or not drinking alcohol (one of my best friends is a non-drinker yet it has never been issue... or the fact that most of my closest friends smoke whereas I don't).
Anyway, if talking of me being pressured by others... na-ah... which is why I have often found myself in the middle of silly fights about these choices we make.
21.02.2014 - 06:15
Darth Revan

It's been rather simple for me, I'm the asshole who's keeping to himself anyway when it comes to large gatherings of people. Pressuring me is rather difficult, you'd have to go out of your way specifically to make me uncomfortable.
21.02.2014 - 20:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I never forced anyone to do anything but many force me even now go to pub, buy, drink coffe what so ever,. now its easier as addult you say no, all accepots its its Scandinavia
when I was kid, they forced me go out, drink, smoke, what so ever, but I was lier and I always cheat in drinking when I diudnt wanna go drunk, I hade numbe rtracker, I didnt ansver stupoid calls. never let ppl in , it saved me from old bill and troubles many times, so till ppl get they cant brake em and pissed off
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.02.2014 - 22:22
no one
Account deleted
That's a good way to do it ^

i find the average man in society to be peer pressured these days. I find things like, though it is frowned upon to be homophobic/sexist/ racist or just a hard man in general in today's slandered of new zealand, it is a hidden truth that if you are not all these things even discreetly, you are hassled for being a pussy whipped soft cock which peer pressures you to be something else that your not.....i see it being in the tradesman industry anyway.
07.03.2016 - 17:09
Enteroctopus

It's rather fascinating, and a bit disturbing to observe how easily people fall into each others behavior patters. Watch a conversation from a distance and you will see it! The dominant person will raise his/her right hand when she speaks, suddenly the other(s) will start to do it also. Facial expressions, manners of speech are mirrored practically involuntarily.

Peer pressure, I think, is one example of this. The main thing is to remember that it's a relationship-building behavior, and is this a relationship you need? Is it really important to be liked by someone who is trying to manipulate you? No, screw their friendship!

On the other hand controlling behavior is not always a bad thing...

Everyone knows what a controlling tool Lars Ulrich is - we almost universally hate the guy. And what's not to hate?! Without the bilateral dictatorship of Lars and his partner in crime James Hetfield would we have had Master of Puppets?

It can't have been any fun to be pushed around by those two, but it resulted in some pretty good music back in the day, right? It's bad for, say, Jason Newsted, but it's good for everyone else.