8 - Alas, Lord Is Upon Me
    9 - Decade Of ΘΕΡΙΟΝ
    10 - At The Left Hand Ov God
    11 - Slaves Shall Serve
    12 - Chant For ΕΣΧΗΑΤΟΝ 2000
    13 - 23 (The Youth Manifesto)
    14 - Lucifer
02. The Satanist: Oblivion

Not too many bands could throw a spoken-word, Kenny G sax muzak thing into the middle of a song called "In The Absence Ov Light" and not get laughed away into obscurity. Behemoth can get away with shit like that. They're just too cool to be dismissed. They sound cool and, with a theatrical sense that rivals well over half a Lady Gaga, they LOOK cool. I mean, I'm not gay, but I'd let Nergal and Orion double team me if they still want to.

The Satanist hasn't changed any of that. The already slightly precarious balance between their style and the substance of their music has changed. Since Thelema they've been making some of the most vicious and furious blackened, anti-Christian death metal around, all with an extravagant dramatic flair. With Evangelion they started emphasizing the evil mood creation bits and the ambient bits of their tunes more than they had before. And that wasn't necessarily a bad thing when it came down to it, but the sheer testosterone of what they'd done on their earlier discs did feel a little watered down.

They did what they do and made it work on Evangelion. "Lucifer" is boring, but goddamn is "Shemhamforash" a neck breaker. That balance is almost completely gone here. The Satanist feels a lot like a bunch of "Lucifer"s. Sure, there's still some DM fury, but it seems to come secondary to all the build-ups. And while the build-ups can sound juicy, they never lead to any kind of exploding that's to be expected from the band that gave us The Apostasy not too long ago.

The extreme bits on this get boring quick. Every time you think, "shit, this is about to get good," songs will peter out and fall back into "just wait for it" mode. It either goes back to what feels a lot like filler, or the faster riffs are bland and melodramatic enough that you'll pine for any of their earlier albums, even the overrated ones like Demigod.

None of this is to say these guys are sounding bad necessarily. The mix is robust and the guys still play tightly; Inferno is still distractingly good at what he does and now the bass gets accented more, so Orion's chops are more audible, Nergal's voice is as powerful as ever, and so on. What they've put together here is tedious enough to surprise even their casual fans, in other words. It sounds like the kind of stuff made for expensive music videos, not the other way around.

Highlight: "Amen"

Written on 12.02.2014 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Guest review by
flightoficarus
Rating:
What's my favorite scary movie? The Shining. With its subtle, psychological terror and slow-build that only Kubrick can pull off, it's a masterpiece. Sure, I get down with the gore-ridden creature features too. Everything from Evil Dead to Friday the 13th is cool in my book. Why is this relevant? Aliens. Okay, now you are more confused. Let me elaborate further. I think a lot of long-time fans come to a Behemoth album expecting a certain level of violence. Demigod, Thelema.6, Zos Kia Cultus; these classics are the "Aliens" of the Behemoth discography. Explosions, flame-throwers, disembowelment, "Game over man, game over!" I'm right with you, popcorn ready. The Satanist, on the other hand, is "Alien." Swarms of xenomorphs are replaced with a single, lurking threat in the shadows. The emphasis is on tension as each innocent is picked off one by one and dragged to their grim (and unseen) demise. While both styles are equally valid, I find the imagination to be a far darker place than anything directly fed to my senses.

Read more ››
published 09.02.2015 | Comments (42)

Comments page 6 / 8

Comments: 215   Visited by: 1028 users
17.02.2014 - 21:05
Rating: 9
Winterthrone
Your site reviewers gave 7,6 to some really average speed metal and 6 to Behemoth's most accomplished album to date. Ridiculous. You have to rethink your concept.
-+
17.02.2014 - 21:11
Rating: 5
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Winterthrone on 17.02.2014 at 21:05

Your site reviewers gave 7,6 to some really average speed metal and 6 to Behemoth's most accomplished album to date. Ridiculous. You have to rethink your concept.
-+

"Average" is a relative concept. "Accomplished" also is relative. Some people will think some things are average, some will think the same is awesome.
I guess you mean that the official reviewers should have ranked this higher because it's on top lists on everywhere else? Well, there are some sites/magazines that indeed overrate the most popular bands, where often there's money involved and stuff, but here on this site one can see that the reviewers prefer to point out their true opinion.
Personally, I'd stick with this site's concept.

Written by Winterthrone on 17.02.2014 at 20:59

Anyway it seems to me that MS has become a shelter for frustrated hipsters that only love being pretentious and take a shit on what real metal fans love.

define "real" metal fans.

It is true to say that being high on the charts doesn't mean you are good, but when a vast majority of Metal fans agree on an album well it surely means there is at least one thing that's good about that album that makes it above average.

So basically we should listen to what everyone else does... Because they say it's good?

You have to leave a part of your personal tastes aside to be a good reviewer and you have to know what will please Metal fans in general.

There are some places where reviews are made in an impartial way, and that's actually pretty cool, not everyone could review like that. But here on this site, the personal opinion is taken in concern when reviewing. And I disagree with the part "you have to know what will please Metal fans in general", no one is trying to sell anything here, so no need for merchandising. If most metal fans disagree with the reviewers opinion, then what? It just means the reviewer has a different opinion than most metal fans.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
17.02.2014 - 21:20
zwitek
Written by Nick_3f on 14.02.2014 at 15:07

Never mind. I found the reason of this review.
http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/behemoths-nergal-thinks-the-majority-of-u-s-death-metal-bands-are-boring-and-generic

No need to complain anymore. You can support US bands with more effort and leave the Polish guy sell in Europe.
Sorry for being cruel. Business is business. I didnt know.

Fully agree with this. The fact that Nergal said this must have got stuck like a peg in a Yankee's arse
17.02.2014 - 22:38
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
This thread is increasingly hilarious.

amazing how many people confuse their opinion (or mass/popular opinion) with fact. music is objective. individual mileage will vary. someone's opinion doesn't match yours. it's hilarious to see people fly off the handle.

pathetic.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.02.2014 - 23:15
zwitek
"Not too many bands could throw a spoken-word, Kenny G sax muzak thing into the middle of a song called "In The Absence Ov Light" and not get laughed away into obscurity. Behemoth can get away with shit like that. They're just too cool to be dismissed. They sound cool and, with a theatrical sense that rivals well over half a Lady Gaga, they LOOK cool. I mean, I'm not gay, but I'd let Nergal and Orion double team me if they still want to. :"

If you call this a accurate review than you most probably should stand in front of your mirror and start to squeeze spots of your immaturity. What a fuss...
And yes, it is not your fold. This review just couldn't be done different as the album simply defends itself and really withstands any constructive critic.

This is an example of "to the point" review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pfUULxVoSU
This guy could review it badly, but at least I'm sure he would do it accurate. Learn from smarter people.
17.02.2014 - 23:58
@gent_-_orange
Nothing wrong with injecting a bit of humor into a review and that seems to be what he was going for with that paragraph, IMO you shouldn't really judge his review based on that. Throughout the rest of the review he said why he didn't really dig the album and explained himself well.

Well I enjoyed this album, Maybe its a bit generic at times but for the most part I was into it, but this is far away quality wise to something like Satanica or Zos Kia Cultus.
18.02.2014 - 00:38
Rating: 6
wormdrink414
Elite

Anyway it seems to me that MS has become a shelter for frustrated hipsters that only love being pretentious and take a shit on what real metal fans love. It is true to say that being high on the charts doesn't mean you are good, but when a vast majority of Metal fans agree on an album well it surely means there is at least one thing that's good about that album that makes it above average. You have to leave a part of your personal tastes aside to be a good reviewer and you have to know what will please Metal fans in general.

I have a big Vice marathon to finish before my trust funds come in the mail today (yeah, I support post offices), don't have time to argue! You clearly are the voice of real metal fans, so I yield.
18.02.2014 - 05:07
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by zwitek on 17.02.2014 at 23:15
Learn from smarter people.

I love irony.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.02.2014 - 05:16
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

Anyway it seems to me that MS has become a shelter for frustrated hipsters that only love being pretentious and take a shit on what real metal fans love. It is true to say that being high on the charts doesn't mean you are good, but when a vast majority of Metal fans agree on an album well it surely means there is at least one thing that's good about that album that makes it above average. You have to leave a part of your personal tastes aside to be a good reviewer and you have to know what will please Metal fans in general.

Everything about this is so wrong to the point where I'm actually giggling here.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.02.2014 - 07:59
mz
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.02.2014 at 05:07

I love irony.

Was about to say more or less the same thing.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
18.02.2014 - 17:27
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Winterthrone on 17.02.2014 at 21:05

-+

For the LAST time, because this is really turning into beating a dead horse now: our reviews are not objective. What would be the point of having a Staff with different individual tastes if we can't review albums to our own liking? We're not robots, it's not a matter of "oh, this album's getting great press in circles on other sites, so Metal Storm should praise it lavishly too." We're our own people, and we do our own thing. And you can't please everybody, somebody's always going to be pissed off at a rating, especially if it's a popular band.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
18.02.2014 - 17:40
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
People's minds are so driven by numbers. My only complaint here with what Georgie did was give it a score at all. Seriously, I think if you had just given this N/A, you would've saved yourself a lot of shit
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
18.02.2014 - 17:49
angel.
Evil Butterfly
I had lots of fun reading all the comments even more fun than listening to the album I suppose ! Those pissed off die hard fans of Behemoth are awesomely funny !
----
The Fangirl.
18.02.2014 - 19:53
Winterthrone
What MS staff does not understand is that everyone has a different opinion so it is not useful to rate and review albums based on sole opinions because it leads nowhere. You can had your personal tastes but you have to explain theses tastes and not state 'em like if they were universal and you also have to stick to some objective points to make your review useful for everyone. Comparing Behemoth to Lady Gaga and making shit comments like sounds like Kenny G because there is a saxophone in the background of narration really is completely stupid.
18.02.2014 - 20:01
Winterthrone
I never said that one should like what the masses like, I just said you had to recognize the objective qualities of an album when you are a reviewer and not be guided only by your personal preferences. If you do not you are just bashing an album or raving...Which is not useful for anybody.
18.02.2014 - 20:34
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Someone should really send a tweet to Nergal with link of this review. He must be waiting for feedback[new album].
18.02.2014 - 20:37
Lethrokai
Written by Winterthrone on 18.02.2014 at 19:53

What MS staff does not understand is that everyone has a different opinion so it is not useful to rate and review albums based on sole opinions because it leads nowhere. You can had your personal tastes but you have to explain theses tastes and not state 'em like if they were universal and you also have to stick to some objective points to make your review useful for everyone. Comparing Behemoth to Lady Gaga and making shit comments like sounds like Kenny G because there is a saxophone in the background of narration really is completely stupid.

I have to ask then...
What are the objective facts when it comes down to this album?

Saying this album is good is subjective.
Saying the direction this album took was good is subjective.
You could say it changed up the direction that Behemoth took their music in slightly... oh wait, the guy already did that.

In the end, whether this album was "good" or not is ENTIRELY subjective. There is no rating that is ever given by anyone that is objective. And if someone ever wrote an entirely objective review of anything, then there would be nothing interesting to say about it at all. What makes a review interesting and actually worth reading is seeing how the reviewers OPINIONS compare to yours. They may be entirely different, but they still hold the exact same validity.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
18.02.2014 - 20:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Winterthrone on 18.02.2014 at 20:01

I never said that one should like what the masses like, I just said you had to recognize the objective qualities of an album when you are a reviewer and not be guided only by your personal preferences. If you do not you are just bashing an album or raving...Which is not useful for anybody.

Seeing as he may not see this, here's BitterCOld's sample review of what an "objective" review would look like:

Quote:

In 1991 Metallica released their self-titled fifth album. The cover art features the band's logo and a coiled snake derived from the Gadsden Flag. Done in all black, it has caused this album to be also known as "the Black Album" and has drawn comparisons to the imaginary Spinal Tap album Smell The Glove.

At this point in their career Metallica featured Kirk Hammett on guitar, James Hetfield on guitar and vocals, Jason Newsted on bass guitar and backing vocals, and Lars Ulrich on drums.

Metallica consists of 12 songs and lasts over an hour. The band opted to have Bob Rock produce the album after his work on Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood. Metallica spent four consecutive weeks at number one on Billboard 200, has sold more than 15,000,000 copies, and was certified 15x platinum (diamond) by the RIAA.

The songs are music with electric guitar played with distortion, bass and drums. There are guitar solos in all 12 songs. Hetfield plays an acoustic guitar on "The Unforgiven", "Wherever I May Roam", and "Nothing Else Matters".

Five of the dozen songs were released as singles and received radio play. They were "Enter Sandman", "The Unforgiven", "Nothing Else Matters", "Wherever I May Roam", and "Sad But True". Videos were also made for these five songs.

The song "Don't Tread On Me" features the motto of the Gadsden Flag, whose snake image was also found on the album cover.

This highlights how retarded your notion of "objective reviews" is, because all they are is extended summaries.
18.02.2014 - 20:51
Lethrokai
Written by Guest on 18.02.2014 at 20:48

This highlights how retarded your notion of "objective reviews" is, because all they are is extended summaries.

Hammer. Meet nail.
Nail. Meet head.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
18.02.2014 - 21:34
Darth Revan
Jeeeeesus the amount of pointless demagogy (and hilarity) ensuing over here. Especially funny is the comment about MS being a haven for hipsters who hate what most metal fans like... Might I direct you to the top 200? Topping said list are Metallica when they made thrash metal, Megadeth, Opeth (Which I dislike by the way, still a popular band) Judas Priest and Led Zepplin, among others. What a haven of hipsters. The name should be changed to that actually, I like the alliteration.
18.02.2014 - 22:37
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite

I never said that one should like what the masses like, I just said you had to recognize the objective qualities of an album when you are a reviewer and not be guided only by your personal preferences.

Recognizing the objective qualities of an album is not a review, it is a description. A review is literally "a formal assessment or examination of something," and to assess is to evaluate the quality, which is purely subjective. And besides, no one wants to read an objective review. How boring is reading something like "Album X was released by Band X in Year X. It features member A on guitar, member B on bass/vocals, and member C on drums. It sounds a lot heavier compared to their previous album. Other sites have been giving it good reviews, so we think it's great too." Come on man, that's just stale as fuck.
----

~ II. VII
18.02.2014 - 23:30
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite

No matter how many more posts you add to this review thread, all your words will boil down to five words: "I don't like the rating".
18.02.2014 - 23:39
siyah
I think that the ones who talk about different tastes, reviewers opinion etc. would join the bashing crew against a review i.e. that rates Lulu an 8 or something.
18.02.2014 - 23:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by siyah on 18.02.2014 at 23:39

I think that the ones who talk about different tastes, reviewers opinion etc. would join the bashing crew against a review i.e. that rates Lulu an 8 or something.

Well what you think is clearly a load of nonsense then: http://metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=11930
19.02.2014 - 01:10
siyah
Written by Guest on 18.02.2014 at 23:44

Written by siyah on 18.02.2014 at 23:39

Well what you think is clearly a load of nonsense then: http://metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=11930

Well, thank you for proving me right? I guess?
19.02.2014 - 01:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by siyah on 19.02.2014 at 01:10

Well, thank you for proving me right? I guess?

I dunno, people there look pretty reasonable. The disagreements tend to be with the opinion, not the review his / herself. No one is bringing up bizarre logic to bring the review down or trying to suggest that review shouldn't exist in the first place.
19.02.2014 - 10:29
HumanSpirit
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 14.02.2014 at 10:58

Written by HumanSpirit on 14.02.2014 at 07:24

This is why I dont write reviews, I may end up looking like idiot and pretencious to others.

This album is awesome, in everyway. I dont think it deserves a mere "6" and lot of shit comments, I totally understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion but come on...

On the other hand, they are Behemoth and they can (and will) be the target of mixed comments and manage to keep making awesome music.

That's your hypocrisy, man. No one forcing you to write reviews and becoming an idiot. Matter of fact if you're an idiot, we welcome that.

Anyway, you just one of flying-fuck blind fanboys who wants to escalates the score neglecting the level of drowsiness this record went in.

Oh, that's my opinion. I'm entitled to do that.

lol calm yo tits, man! you dont even know me and already making very poor statments about nothing :p smoke a joint, dude.
19.02.2014 - 14:42
Rating: 5
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Have our arguments gotten so low that we must completely abandon them and appeal to profile stalking and pointing out random things which we think are funny?
Next step probably is grammar correcting, I guess?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
19.02.2014 - 14:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 19.02.2014 at 14:42

Have our arguments gotten so low that we must completely abandon them and appeal to profile stalking and pointing out random things which we think are funny?
Next step probably is grammar correcting, I guess?

Yeah haha. Such comments only serve to highlight the insecurity of the person saying it, not the person the "insult" is aimed at.
19.02.2014 - 20:33
Himedal
Written by Guest on 14.02.2014 at 09:15

Have a listen to the album again after a week or two. It looks to me that you haven't heard the album at all, otherwise you would talk about it, not about older material. I respect other peoples oppinions, but The Satanist is a very good album. Verzy far from what you wrote here.

I double what you say. Frankly, I don't care at all about this review since I find it irrelevant.
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken

Hits total: 19502 | This month: 50