Metal Storm logo
Blacksmithing

13.02.2014 - 09:00
Darth Revan
A long time dream of mine has been to make swords, namely swords that I've written about in various roleplays and stories. So now I'm going to try my hand at actually crafting some swords by making a furnace, melting some metal, makin' some pure ingots, and hammering away. I'll post progress as it goes along, but for now, I'm gathering the supplies I need. I got a 55 gallon steel barrel that I'm going to line with a mixture of fire clay (Or chromite if I happen to be able to find some anywhere...) and cement, and I'll likely buy a stainless steel crucible to use. It's gonna work on charcoal, and I'm hoping to reach about 3000 degrees Fahrenheit... AKA more or less what you need to melt iron.

But enough about me. Anyone here ever done some metal work? Crafted some bitchin' swords?
22.02.2014 - 19:52
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Nothing says "I have a neck beard" more than making swords and listening to Helloween.

I've done metal work, mostly welding. I've made a machete for trail work in moto. That's about it.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
22.02.2014 - 20:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 22.02.2014 at 19:52
Nothing says "I have a neck beard" more than making swords and listening to Helloween.

I think listening to Deafheaven tapes while defending pop punk gives the swordmaking/Helloween thing a run for its money.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.02.2014 - 20:13
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.02.2014 at 20:07

I think listening to Deafheaven tapes while defending pop punk gives the swordmaking/Helloween thing a run for its money.

Hardly, Both of those things are fairly popular as opposed to the latter. Not that it matters though.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.02.2014 - 17:51
Darth Revan
Written by Boxcar Willy on 22.02.2014 at 19:52

I've done metal work, mostly welding. I've made a machete for trail work in moto. That's about it.

... You had to say that just as I was listening to "Seven Sinners" again didn't you? XD
25.02.2014 - 21:55
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Never done it myself but have always been interested in it since a kid. Look forward to some updates. BTW a cool documentary that involves blacksmithing is "Secrets of the Viking Sword" on Netflix, a guy crafts an awesome Viking Blade that hasn't been replicated in 1000 years.
----
pewpew.. gotcha